UPS Center in the Big Nasty FAIL

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    As I was figuring out what carrier to use, I got the impression that UPS was the only way to go.

IOW, I'm pretty sure that FedEx doesn't take ammo/ORM-D.

Don't know about ammo, but never had any trouble shipping firearms using FedEx (air or ground).

Last edited:

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    Technology win. If it is a problem they should just require a signature on delivery. I wonder if the theft problem is only in certain areas. Did you talk to UPS about the non-delivery with video proof? It seems they would want to take care of that.

Yep. They didn't sound like they gave a crap. Sad that this is happening and at least in my case they could have at least questioned the driver. He scanned the package as "received by front door" when clearly my cameras show him passing the house and not even stopping. This is yet one more example of how a crook can acquire ammo, gun or really just about anything. I do now ask for sig required and just check my tracking to see what day I need to wait for them to pass.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Shipped a handgun yesterday at Fed/Ex. Rep didn't even want to see it. Just asked if it had bullets with it or not. Can't ship a gun with bullets in the same box. $89 lighter my gun was off on vacation.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Shipped a handgun yesterday at Fed/Ex. Rep didn't even want to see it. Just asked if it had bullets with it or not. Can't ship a gun with bullets in the same box. $89 lighter my gun was off on vacation.

You should be able to ship two high end 1911's with insurance for $89.

Saker

"Send It"
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Everyone here is correct that the small, franchise owned "UPS STORES" do not ship firearms.
    I have never shipped Ammo, but have shipped Rifles and or firearm parts back to manufacturers and gunsmiths in different states without issue from Baton Rouge Packaging and Shipping without issue. They have always been cordial and they know what they can ship!
    So one does not have to go to a hub necessarily to ship these items...... but I would call ahead anyway.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Never shipped guns or ammo, but never had a package opened when I came in with it sealed and a prepaid label in place. I usually drop off at ups or other shipment stores or Office Depot.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I have shipped a revelover back to the manufacturer at the UPS location across from BTR and shipped a rifle from a FedEx store in downtown BR. Never a problem.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    UPS Stores are not owned by UPS and can't ship any gun parts per their contract with UPS.
    You have to go to the UPS HUB, have UPS pick it up or hand it to the UPS driver.

I shipped a gun at the UPS Store in Slidell before. The lady at the counter told me she couldn't do the label, but if I did it on the internet and put the label on myself I could drop it off to her. No problem.

The HUB in New Orleans (where UPS told me I could take the ammo), is kind of on my way home from work so I figured it would be easier. Unfortunately, it was a 20 minute mistake. Like I said though. She was very nice, but it took around 20 minutes. Just food for thought for anybody else.

I found this concerning FEDEX. Don't know if it changes pricing. Maybe somebody on here can clear it up:

Changes to ORM-D HazMat Classification

Dangerous goods shipping requirements are changing for the Other Regulated Materials Domestic (ORM-D) hazard class to comply with new regulations. These changes will affect your shipments with FedEx Express and FedEx Ground effective Jan. 1, 2013, for FedEx Express, and Jan. 1, 2014, for FedEx Ground.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) has adopted new regulations that impact domestic shipping through the elimination of the transportation mechanism for limited quantity hazardous materials currently reclassified as ORM-D.

Who This Affects

The new regulations affect anyone shipping using the ORM-D Consumer Commodity; Cartridges, Small Arms; or Cartridges, Power Devices classifications.

Changes for Shippers Using FedEx Express: Effective Jan. 1, 2013

FedEx Express will only accept shipments prepared in accordance with International Air Transport Association (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations. Many shipments currently classified as "Consumer Commodity, ORM-D (IDG)" may be classified under IATA as "ID 8000 Consumer Commodity, 9 (IDG)"; however, consignments offered for transport under the ID 8000 Consumer Commodity identifier must meet the requirement of Special Provision A112, which restricts items that can be offered. Items not meeting the Consumer Commodity provision must be classified under the original identifier.

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I won't bore you with the details but I refuse to use UPS. I made that decision about 6 years ago. I always will pay what ever it takes to get another carrier if it's offered.

Dave

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I shipped a gun at the UPS Store in Slidell before. The lady at the counter told me she couldn't do the label, but if I did it on the internet and put the label on myself I could drop it off to her. No problem.

Um, yeah here's food for thought, if I remember correctly that was a really bad move on her part. If you ship an unauthorized item through a UPS Store (Mailboxes Etc.) and it comes to the attention of UPS as in the box breaks open or it gets lost or whatever, you're stuck. The person at the UPS Store will just claim she had no idea it was gun related and you told her it was not and they will not honor the claim. The UPS store is NOT UPS, it is a separate entity and the contract between them and UPS distinctly says that they may not accept shipment of guns or ammo, that stuff has to be done directly through a main location. All of my info here can be verified for accuracy from Macmail who is/was a vendor here.

Is it stupid, yeah probably; but it's how UPS wrote the contract that binds the "The UPS Store" stores to what they can and can not do. So don't blame your local UPS Store owner.

Top Bottom