Upset with Smith and Wesson Repair Procedures. 14 week backlog

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    My Smith and Wesson M&P Pro 9mm has been at Smith and Wesson for repair since the beginning of July. The gun was failing to go into battery and resetting trigger. This was a complete unmolested pistol with only a front sight swap, no trigger or action work. I have never had one FTE or jam in the history of the pistol until this issue at 2 outings to the range. The warranty dept did get to it pretty quick and replaced a couple of parts under warranty since it was covered. I was contacted about 3 weeks after sending it. Then I was informed the pistol is in the charge dept (paid gunsmithing) There are several parts that are not in warranty because they are not broken just worn out. Worn out parts are not covered. Keep in mind, Smith and Wesson close their doors for 2 weeks every summer for summer break and yes my pistol got there before the break. I have to wait another 6 to 9 weeks for the gunsmith (charge dept) to send me a letter to advise the parts that are worn and an estimate for repair. Then another 3 to 6 weeks to have repairs done.

I bought the first M&P Pro in the state of LA about 5 to 6 years ago from S&W Compeition via (10-8 Tactical) and has been shot as my only competition pistol for all the 3 gun, IDPA and IPSC matches. This has been an accurate, reliable and great pistol. No telling how many rounds I have through it. Not pissed that pistol is broke and that I have to replace some pins, bushings, etc at my expense, I am pissed that this is a competition pistol and I have to anticipate 14 weeks total turn around. I have sent a few smith and wesson pistols for repair in the past with no problems and quick turn around time. Even spoke to the Miculeks about maybe getting some grease on the squeaky wheel. Fingers crossed :confused::confused::confused:

signed, AGGRAVATED

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    That Sucks, some brands will replace worn out parts at no cost to you.
    I can loan you a pistol to shoot or sleep with if you need it.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    My Smith and Wesson M&P Pro 9mm has been at Smith and Wesson for repair since the beginning of July. The gun was failing to go into battery and resetting trigger. This was a complete unmolested pistol with only a front sight swap, no trigger or action work. I have never had one FTE or jam in the history of the pistol until this issue at 2 outings to the range. The warranty dept did get to it pretty quick and replaced a couple of parts under warranty since it was covered. I was contacted about 3 weeks after sending it. Then I was informed the pistol is in the charge dept (paid gunsmithing) There are several parts that are not in warranty because they are not broken just worn out. Worn out parts are not covered. Keep in mind, Smith and Wesson close their doors for 2 weeks every summer for summer break and yes my pistol got there before the break. I have to wait another 6 to 9 weeks for the gunsmith (charge dept) to send me a letter to advise the parts that are worn and an estimate for repair. Then another 3 to 6 weeks to have repairs done.

I bought the first M&P Pro in the state of LA about 5 to 6 years ago from S&W Compeition via (10-8 Tactical) and has been shot as my only competition pistol for all the 3 gun, IDPA and IPSC matches. This has been an accurate, reliable and great pistol. No telling how many rounds I have through it. Not pissed that pistol is broke and that I have to replace some pins, bushings, etc at my expense, I am pissed that this is a competition pistol and I have to anticipate 14 weeks total turn around. I have sent a few smith and wesson pistols for repair in the past with no problems and quick turn around time. Even spoke to the Miculeks about maybe getting some grease on the squeaky wheel. Fingers crossed :confused::confused::confused:

signed, AGGRAVATED

Hey that Glock 17 you sold me still runs like a raped ape. Just sayin....

Jmann

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Dads still waiting for paperwork to send his m&p shield back . Called again yesterday and was told they would ship the info again .

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    Well, that sucks. I'll tell you though, it's always wise to have a back up.

My worst repair experience was with Ruger. It was bad enough that I won't buy any more Rugers. I'm surprised to hear this about S&W, as from what I've always been told, they were one of the best for service.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    My primary for last season ate 60k rounds, and finally snapped a trigger bar at the loop. It had been highly modified.

Though mechanically as accurate as the day it came out of the box, the slide-to-frame fit was... Err... "Loosened" to say the least. Picture a flag pole in a hurricane during recoil, and you'll have an idea of how the sights track.

Aside from burring of the barrel hood and slide, I can't imagine what would prevent the gun from going into battery that's not an easily replaceable part. I shot out 7 recoil springs (13# after markets) in that time period. I've got at least half a dozen fresh factory units still on hand.

The MiM sear could have taken a beating, along with the trigger bar, sear spring and respective plunger. That would prevent it from resetting the trigger. I have away all but one of my spare trigger bars; I believe I have two full sear cages left, and more sears (including SSS hard sears) than I care to count.

I'd be interested to hear what they replaced-- and obviously caution anyone to send their guns in if the wait is that long, unless there's no other resort. I'd personally rather spend $50 and have the gun running in a few days rather than wait on free repairs for half of a competition season.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I am thinking I should have sent it to the authorized service center in TX rather than S&W factory. Thought since it is a performance center pistol they would be the experts. Still no letter in the mail. Its been 11 weeks so far.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Got my pistol back from S&W on weds of last week after being there 3 month. spoke to the owner of the independent service center. He advised me that S&W sold so many pistols in the last 16 months that they are now 6 month backlog at the factory service. If anyone needs service go on S&W website and look for service center in Tx. He is 10 days behind. He was also nice enough to give me a few pointers to fix the sear reset problem. I took the entire pistol apart cleaned the sear block and striker assembly. Found dirt and debris imbedded in the striker channel in the slide. Polished the ram, trigger bar, sear and polished the Teflon striker channel. Put the pistol back together and she worked like a charm. 250 rds down range with my new 147 bayou billet loads. No issues. No failures Happy happy

Top Bottom