Urge State Lawmakers to Clarify the Right of Carry Permit Holders

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    Urge State Lawmakers to Clarify the Right of Carry Permit Holders to Protect Themselves in Restaurants

Debate, surrounding state legislation during the 2013 session and a subsequent Louisiana Attorney General opinion on the issue of off-duty police officers carrying firearms in outlets offering alcoholic beverages, has highlighted a potential conflict between the concealed carry law and another section of criminal law that must be resolved.
    Under R.S. 14:95.5, it is unlawful to possess a firearm in any commercial establishment where alcohol is served for consumption on the premises. The only exceptions to this are for owners or employees and law enforcement officers acting in the course of their official duties. Although the concealed carry law clearly states that bars, not restaurants, are off-limits to license holders, another subsection of that statute prohibits permit holders from carrying in any area where firearms are banned under state or federal law. That subsection, read in conjunction with R.S. 14:95.5, is where the potential conflict arises.
    It is critical that the state legislature clear up any confusion during this session and confirm that Louisiana is among the 47 states that allow the carrying of firearms for personal protection in restaurants that serve alcohol.
    House Bill 72, sponsored by state Representative Joe Lopinto (R-Metairie), and House Bill 20, sponsored by state Representative Jeff Thompson (R-Bossier City), clarify that concealed handgun permit holders may possess firearms in restaurants which serve alcohol. Both bills have been referred to the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee.
    Contact information for committee members can be found here – please respectfully urge them to support HB 72 & HB 20.
    Senate Bill 68, sponsored by state Senator Bob Kostelka (R-Monroe), mirrors House Bill 72 clarifies that concealed handgun permit holders may possess firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol. SB 68 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary B Committee.
    Contact information for committee members can be found here - please respectfully urge them to support SB 68

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    I will supply my list (I made this morning) of the house members' emails for sending them letters/messages about this bill:

lopintoj@legis.la.gov
    morenoh@legis.la.gov
    adamsb@legis.la.gov
    larep100@legis.la.gov
    browntr@legis.la.gov
    larep002@legis.la.gov
    larep041@legis.la.gov
    hazelc@legis.la.gov
    hodgesv@legis.la.gov
    honored@legis.la.gov
    howardf@legis.la.gov
    landryt@legis.la.gov
    macks@legis.la.gov
    nortonb@legis.la.gov
    pylants@legis.la.gov
    woodruffe@legis.la.gov

I asked them to help us un-muddy the water and give CC permit holders the right to legally and safely carry a weapon to protect ones' self and family in a restaurant that served alcohol as long as we avoided the bar area, drinking and getting drunk! Who could ask for more? I DID! For a bit of levity, I asked them to please pass the bill so my writing down of all their email addresses wouldn't have been a time waster for me!!! ;) Hopefully they'll see the humor I intended ....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom