USB FIXED! USB issue..now ext HD issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Well I'm having an issue with all of my USB ports on my laptop. I can plug in devices such as my cell (it charges only) or a portable HD and they get power but they are not detected at all through the My Computer or Disk Manager menus. I've tried to check for driver updates and they are all up to date.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated.

Computer: Asus K53E

Fixed. Thanks again.

However, my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive isn't wanting to be compliant. I plug it in and all I hear is the disk spinning. no detection. Im going to try to download the Seagate Disk management software and see how that goes.

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Check your device manager to see if they are listed as unknown devices or have any kind of question or exclamation mark on them. Could be you need to download updated drivers for them.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Check your device manager to see if they are listed as unknown devices or have any kind of question or exclamation mark on them. Could be you need to download updated drivers for them.

Didnt see any ! and I've right clicked all of them and scanned for updates. Theyre all up to date.

5n4fkulj67m4oxot21k.jpg

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Any sort of thing can happen, you may want to run a system restore back a couple days to when it worked... Also sometimes the USB chips on the board to go out and it sucks... my Laptop only has 1 working usb port out of the 3 on it...

ALso did you restart?

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Any sort of thing can happen, you may want to run a system restore back a couple days to when it worked... Also sometimes the USB chips on the board to go out and it sucks... my Laptop only has 1 working usb port out of the 3 on it...

I really hope mine didnt get fried by a lighting strike or something while it was on the charger...if that is possible. Thats my worst fear its bad enough that my sound card on the motherboard went out 3 months into owning the damn computer with out any abuse. Ill try the system restore.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I really hope mine didnt get fried by a lighting strike or something while it was on the charger...if that is possible. Thats my worst fear its bad enough that my sound card on the motherboard went out 3 months into owning the damn computer with out any abuse. Ill try the system restore.
    Is this a desktop or a laptop? and you already have had something go out? thats not cool, as it can show something deeper is amiss... hopefully it just software...

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Laptop. system restore didnt seem to help as I have tried multiple USB devices and non have been detected. It's getting closer and closer to making its way to being a target for my SW 500 on the range.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Boot to BIOS and reset to default...

Also if that doesnt work there is a way yo get gremlins out... and that is pull battery, and power cord, hold power button for 20 seconds, and then start up seems to clear weird errors... also try ad see if the USB works in safemode...

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    scratch that. My thumb drive just worked without issue. I guess I just need to reformat my portable HD. I guess the system restore did help out.

ALSO used a different USB cord for my cell and android prompted options after plugging in. Thanks everyone. Now I just need to see if my external HD is fried on not.... hope not, its less than 1 month old.

THANK YOU guys!

Ill update if I cant get the HD where it needs to be.

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I have had external hard drives do the spin up but not report too, sometimes the USB board on them goes bad... it sucks... sometimes when dropped it can jostle the data cable on the drive itself and disconnect it but still power it... often times the USB board will show in device manager but the drive will not...

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    However, my Seagate Expansion Portable Drive isn't wanting to be compliant. I plug it in and all I hear is the disk spinning. no detection. Im going to try to download the Seagate Disk management software and see how that goes.

Three major reasons:
    1. Not enough power. Sometimes solved by replacing the connection cord. Which port you've used, USB3 or USB2?
    2. Faulty board on the drive. Did you try to connect the drive to another computer preferably desktop?
    3. Faulty hard drive. Can you to get the hard drive out of the enclosure and connect it to another computer? If it under warranty I guess you can't but if not - it's a way to check.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Three major reasons:
    1. Not enough power. Sometimes solved by replacing the connection cord. Which port you've used, USB3 or USB2?
    2. Faulty board on the drive. Did you try to connect the drive to another computer preferably desktop?
    3. Faulty hard drive. Can you to get the hard drive out of the enclosure and connect it to another computer? If it under warranty I guess you can't but if not - it's a way to check.

1. its powered up before using the same USB3 cord. I also tried a USB2 I formatted it to FAT32 for use with my brothers PS3 and It worked fine. I was putting music on it and it just stopped in the middle of a large file transfer.

2. We tried it on my parents desktop, still the same results...just spins up/powers on with out any recognition from the OS.

3. This is what Im thinking. Well just return it to bestbuy. Nothing on it isnt replaceable. So Ill just go get them to swap it for a new one if they cant get it up n running. Its less than 90 days old. Ill have to check their policy. I got a buddy who works there that can give me a hand if needed. Ill have to ask my brother if he dropped it at some point. :dunno:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom