Use of CCW on a dog?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    I am going to respectfully disagree. You don't have to let a dog bite you before shooting it. If a dog is threatening your safety, you have every right to protect yourself from it. Calling the cops right away and stating that some random dog tried to bite you or your family while you were walking down the street is better than leaving and trying to get away with it.

With that being said, I don't think most domesticated dogs will just come out and bite you. But if you see a dog coming at you and you hit it in the face with pepper spray, it will turn around. I personally don't carry pepper spray unless I am biking, but a sharp kick to the nose won't severely injure the dog, but if it comes back after that, it likely doesn't want to play.

Yes, defend yourself if you need to. I'm just stating that the law is pretty much on the dog's side, no matter what for the most part. Just something to be aware of. If the dog is truly threatening your safety, then you need to do what you need to do. But you will face scrutiny legally speaking, and the laws are pretty strong against any harm to dogs (or other animals, cats, etc.). My point is you need to be prepared to demonstrate the best you can that the dog posed serious personal harm to you or your family, etc. Not sure how you can really do that short of showing that the dog bit you. But I don't recommend letting a dog bite you either, it's not fun at all.

As for what to do about a threatening dog, ideally try to avoid it however you can. Once you are safe, call animal control. The more details you can give them the better. Problem is, they are underfunded and over worked. Unless you know where this dog can be found and it's not confined by it's owner, there is not much they can do. Even if they find the dog, they will most likely just fine the owner for not controlling his dog. First offense might just be a warning even. The problem is really with the owners, for not caring for and controlling their dogs. Unfortunately, the law doesn't give the rest of us much options to deal with the situation when the owners fall short. Again, you can thank the animal rights advocates for the way the laws are on this. Ultimately, it's not the dog's fault, so the laws are good in that respect. But owners need to be held to higher accountability, and that's really where the laws fall short.

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Legal or not , I would not have started shooting. Close quarters, dogs and people moving , bystanders...things can happen too fast and a bullet can ricochet ...just too dangerous to all the others to try it.
    Every situation is different , but in this one , I think not shooting was best.
    Gary

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom