Using an I Pad as a Remote Control

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    Does anyone know anything about using an I Pad as a universal remote? I mainly want to control my tv, av receiver, cable box, blue ray, etc. I dont even know if this is possible, but I've seen scientists grow a human ear on a mouse's back, so i have to think it is.

cd

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    I have a Universal MX-450, but the damn screen is out. I guess ill try to get that one fixed, but it would be cool to be able to control all of that from the i pad.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Depends a lot on your devices. The problem is most are still controlled by IR, which is a capability tablets don't have. There are apps for controlling Bluetooth enabled devices though.

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    Im using the harmony Smart Control which has a hub that does all the InfraRed tramision and has an Ipad/Iphone app to go with it. it costs about $130 and I love it. I actually pulled out a $3000 Philips Pronto remote system in favor of this one. The Philips Pronto was great when I was single, but now I have a wife that wants a more simple Audio/Visual setup and young kids that drop remotes.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-smart-control?crid=60

Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    There are apps as stated before, but some of those apps require you to buy a separate device to connect to your T.v or such.
    I have a Galaxy Tablet and a HTC one cell phone and it automatically came with an app that controls my T.V.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    Im using the harmony Smart Control which has a hub that does all the InfraRed tramision and has an Ipad/Iphone app to go with it. it costs about $130 and I love it. I actually pulled out a $3000 Philips Pronto remote system in favor of this one. The Philips Pronto was great when I was single, but now I have a wife that wants a more simple Audio/Visual setup and young kids that drop remotes.

Im going to check into this. Thanks.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Depends a lot on your devices. The problem is most are still controlled by IR, which is a capability tablets don't have. There are apps for controlling Bluetooth enabled devices though.

This. Even on devices that do have an IR emitter, it is usually a very weak one and you will still be wanting a hub.

au01st

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Alexandria, LA
    I've had a Harmony 880 for years in my living room. I now use a Harmony 700 in the bedroom.

I did use my iPhone as a remote for my Boxee Box when that remote quit working (and CS sucks) but have since added an IR receiver to the Boxee, so it works with the 880.

Check out Harmony remotes, I will probably be using them for the forseeable future.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

You spent 3K on a remote?

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    Im a big geek. The philips pronto remotes ran java,.. i did some custom programming so that the remote would display the current playing song title and album cover art when tuned to XM sat radio. I had RS232 serial control of all the devices, so everything was really responsive. I hit the HBO logo and the channel changed instantly. I had programming that would display the current channel and volume levels on the remote,.. it controlled all the lights in the house. I could even see the front door security camera feed on the television remote. I was saving up for automated window blinds. Then life happened and I no longer have the time to play with the AV stuff as much. Add 3 other mouths to feed and what little extra money I have now goes towards my current hobby,.. Shooting.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Im a big geek. The philips pronto remotes ran java,.. i did some custom programming so that the remote would display the current playing song title and album cover art when tuned to XM sat radio. I had RS232 serial control of all the devices, so everything was really responsive. I hit the HBO logo and the channel changed instantly. I had programming that would display the current channel and volume levels on the remote,.. it controlled all the lights in the house. I could even see the front door security camera feed on the television remote. I was saving up for automated window blinds. Then life happened and I no longer have the time to play with the AV stuff as much. Add 3 other mouths to feed and what little extra money I have now goes towards my current hobby,.. Shooting.

How do I rig my coffee pot to sense when I take my morning **** and start the brewing?

bipolarbear

SevenGun
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    NOLA
    I once tried the toaster connected to the internet thing,.. didnt work out so great. It was supposed to burn the daily weather report into my toast.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

Im going to check into this. Thanks.

I'm looking into this too. Anybody use this and have positive or negative reviews? I'm curious what the interface is like on your phone/ pad.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm looking into this too. Anybody use this and have positive or negative reviews? I'm curious what the interface is like on your phone/ pad.

I use the Harmony Ultimate with iPad/iPhone control. It's pretty responsive and works well once programmed. Some features may be lacking (not programmed by Logitech) and requires a call to Logitech Support to add on a per-device basis.

The remote itself is fairly nice, with the touchscreen and button control. Occasionally the handheld remote will forget to turn off (inactivity timer) and will run dead if not put back on the charger.

The initial setup is a bit time consuming, what with having to manually update the firmware and programming on the base and remote the first time. After the initial setup and programming is done though, you can edit/fix/add program features from the online portal or your iDevice (or any other supported smartphone)- without having to touch the Harmony Hub. Just hit the Sync button on the remote to update any changes you made. The only time you'll need to remove the Hub from wherever you install it is to update the firmware with a computer (or use a laptop). Every time there is an update to the smartphone app, a relevant firmware upgrade is required for the Hub. Otherwise, the app will update and no longer communicate with the Hub.

On a negative note, the Harmony Hub only has 2 IR outputs (not counting the blaster built into the top of the Hub). This was a real bummer for me since my previous URC MX3000 and Harmony 1100 had 4-port IR repeater hubs. If you have a home theater system dependent on separate, blocked hardware (like a TV/projector in the ceiling on a power lift) you may not have enough IR blaster ports. In a stretch you can command certain actions to occur from the handheld remote blaster to add a pseudo port, but if it's not in one spot it's not a reliable method. In my case I had to set timers so that the remote blaster would hit the TV after it exited the ceiling.

My favorite remote is still the MX3000. The programming capacity of the remote was nothing short of incredible (as was the RF range), but the hardware eventually failed after 7 years of use. The Harmony 1100 (may it forever remain discontinued) was quite buggy and didn't support much programming customization.

Last edited:

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    The LG g2 phone has an ir blaster. As soon as I got it, I messed with my little brother for about 3 days. It is nice to have everything in one place and not need keep up with multiple remotes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom