Using the wrong Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Just heard a story today about a guy that tried to chamber the wrong ammo in his rifle with explosive results. My Dad had various
    guns and ammo growing up and was sure to make the point that I should always know that I was putting the right ammo in the gun I was shooting. This was a story I was told by an uncle of the person involved. It happened to someone that should have known better and had had just gotten careless. The story goes:
    He needed more ammo, He calls his sister to bring him more and didn't check it before trying to chamber the round. When he was driving the bolt forward it exploded in his face.
    Hope everyone that lets their kids shoot and people new to the hobby know of what can go wrong when the improper round is
    loaded. It didn't kill him, but it could have.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    Well since I am new, how about some of the better educated firearm folks chime in and inform us on how to pick the right ammo? The reason I say this is because...... I have a old rifle handed down from my grandfather. It is a old Remington top loader semi automatic in beautiful condition. Stamped on the bolt?? is 30-30. All my life, i assumed i had a 30-30, but never gave too much thought about shooting it, just keep it clean, and return it to the safe. Well I got a wild hair and decided it would be nice to put some rounds through it. Well 30-30 from wally world dont work, go figure. Numerous friends who claim to be gun nuts were no help. Finally, a older (60's) friend told me I have a Remington Model 8, and the correct rounds for it were .30 Rem, not to be confused with .30 carbine. How in the hell is someone supposed to no that? the rifle is stamped 30-30, so why not stamp it .30 Rem? Can anyone onboard explain this to me, or give me a idea on how to find the "right" ammo for a firearm? BTW I did locate some .30 Rem and the rifle shoots great. But damnit man that caliber is hard to find and quite expensive, 40 bucks for a box of 20 plus tax:(.

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Well since I am new, how about some of the better educated firearm folks chime in and inform us on how to pick the right ammo? The reason I say this is because...... I have a old rifle handed down from my grandfather. It is a old Remington top loader semi automatic in beautiful condition. Stamped on the bolt?? is 30-30. All my life, i assumed i had a 30-30, but never gave too much thought about shooting it, just keep it clean, and return it to the safe. Well I got a wild hair and decided it would be nice to put some rounds through it. Well 30-30 from wally world dont work, go figure. Numerous friends who claim to be gun nuts were no help. Finally, a older (60's) friend told me I have a Remington Model 8, and the correct rounds for it were .30 Rem, not to be confused with .30 carbine. How in the hell is someone supposed to no that? the rifle is stamped 30-30, so why not stamp it .30 Rem? Can anyone onboard explain this to me, or give me a idea on how to find the "right" ammo for a firearm? BTW I did locate some .30 Rem and the rifle shoots great. But damnit man that caliber is hard to find and quite expensive, 40 bucks for a box of 20 plus tax:(.

Sounds like it was stamped incorrectly...

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Or the barrel changed. If it was stamped on the bolt, the bolt could have been changed. The only way to know for sure is to have a gunsmith measure the chamber. I have an old Browning Auto5 from my grandfather and I don't shoot it. Don't want to break anything or drop it and scratch it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom