VA Benefits and the Shutdown

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Care to explain? It says it will continue through October, but if the shutdown lasts longer, then it will stop when the funds stop.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Not sure how it applies to Education Funding, but for Disabled/Retired Vets it seems there could be an impact;

Veterans, Families May Not Receive Disability And Pension Checks, VA Chief Warns
    WASHINGTON -- WASHINGTON (AP) — About 3.8 million veterans will not receive disability compensation next month if the partial government shutdown continues into late October, Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki says. Some 315,000 veterans and 202,000 surviving spouses and dependents will see pension payments stopped.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...own-veterans-disability-checks_n_4069066.html

That's going to remove a huge chunk of income out of a lot of people's budget.

Last edited:

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Tell them you are an illegal alien and just want some $$$ to hold a rally or something and I'm sure you'll get instant action and a boatload of cash.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Concerning the GI Bill from my understanding from the Nicholls Va Rep it could be affected. He is on top of his game and sent all us vets an email regarding the same shortly after the shut down. It seemed to be pending a bunch of budgets and in regards to money running out. Luckily for me it is just extra money and there isn't anything I can do about it so I didn't really pay attention. I can forward the email or possibly post if you do not get a clear understanding.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Concerning the GI Bill from my understanding from the Nicholls Va Rep it could be affected. He is on top of his game and sent all us vets an email regarding the same shortly after the shut down. It seemed to be pending a bunch of budgets and in regards to money running out. Luckily for me it is just extra money and there isn't anything I can do about it so I didn't really pay attention. I can forward the email or possibly post if you do not get a clear understanding.

Yes, please do.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I just copied and pasted his email... Here it is.
    Good Afternoon,
    I am sure by now everyone has been made aware of the recent Government Shutdown which has affected several Veteran benefits programs. Currently, The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs are operating on *carry-over funds* and are estimated to remain open and operating *business-as-usual* until Friday, October 4, 2013. If no resolution is reached by Friday, certain activities deemed *essential* will remain operational. For a list of Veterans services that will & will not be impacted by the furlough, please refer to the following link: http://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Field_Guide_20130927.pdf

In the event of a prolonged shutdown, VA education benefits will be suspended when available funding is exhausted. What this means is, any GI Bill Education payments projected for November will not be disbursed until the shutdown is lifted. We understand that most of you depend on these funds to sustain your living while attending Nicholls State University. The option you have as Nicholls students is to utilize student loans that are available to you for the current Fall 2013 semester. If you have exhausted the student loans available to you for the current semester you may utilize your student loans for the next academic year; however you must remember that if you do this you will not have a student loan option for that semester if you max out your loan. Plan ahead and be wise with your decision regarding this matter. Also, make sure you consider time when making your decision; student loans are not disbursed quickly so you should give yourself ample time when requesting your student loan. If any of you have questions regarding this feel free to contact me.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I just copied and pasted his email... Here it is.
    Good Afternoon,
    I am sure by now everyone has been made aware of the recent Government Shutdown which has affected several Veteran benefits programs. Currently, The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs are operating on *carry-over funds* and are estimated to remain open and operating *business-as-usual* until Friday, October 4, 2013. If no resolution is reached by Friday, certain activities deemed *essential* will remain operational. For a list of Veterans services that will & will not be impacted by the furlough, please refer to the following link: http://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Field_Guide_20130927.pdf

In the event of a prolonged shutdown, VA education benefits will be suspended when available funding is exhausted. What this means is, any GI Bill Education payments projected for November will not be disbursed until the shutdown is lifted. We understand that most of you depend on these funds to sustain your living while attending Nicholls State University. The option you have as Nicholls students is to utilize student loans that are available to you for the current Fall 2013 semester. If you have exhausted the student loans available to you for the current semester you may utilize your student loans for the next academic year; however you must remember that if you do this you will not have a student loan option for that semester if you max out your loan. Plan ahead and be wise with your decision regarding this matter. Also, make sure you consider time when making your decision; student loans are not disbursed quickly so you should give yourself ample time when requesting your student loan. If any of you have questions regarding this feel free to contact me.

Yep. That's how I understood it.

****ing awesome.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Yep. That's how I understood it.

****ing awesome.

Could be effected. Not will be. VA Benefits; Educational Bennies included are an entitlement that has never been effected by Gov Shutdown. What they are saying is we, VA Student Reps, don't know what will happen because we have never been in this situation before. I would suggest contacting the VA Directly for a more direct answer from a VA Employee not a University Employee. You will notice that the VA has been largely unaffected by the shutdown and there are plenty of people there to answer your phone calls. Not all Fed Programs are funded and entitled the same way.

Hitman; fact check that Huff Post article you linked. Shinseki has already said he misspoke.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    I think this thread should stick to facts not reactionary... I heard from a guy who...

Then post some facts. Or are we to assume your word is "fact". The info I posted was from the VA Coordinator for Veteran's affairs for Nicholls. I would assume he would have first hand information, but I am sure he could be wrong as well...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    He is an employee of the university not the VA. I read his email differently than you do I guess. I spoke with Giberto a couple days ago and he wasn't sure of anything. I spoke with the folks at the Regional Office yesterday and try assured me GI Bill money was safe. That's as first hand as I've got. You can call and ask the questions directly that way you don't have to take my word.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'll attempt to call tonight, but I will likely be told to set an appointment for a month from now to be called back. I'm sure their phones are blowing up.

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    Post 9/11. Everytime I've ever called, I'm told to setup a callback appointment. Are you under the same?
    I'm under post 9/11 and have had no issues talking to anyone. If I remember correctly they do give you the option to leave a message for a call back or hold...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm under post 9/11 and have had no issues talking to anyone. If I remember correctly they do give you the option to leave a message for a call back or hold...

Maybe I always elected the option of a callback... :dunno:

I'll try to call tonight, though, after work.

Top Bottom