Vacations insight for Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Great Smoky's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    We're planning a family vacation to the mountains in Tennessee this summer. It'll be a total of about 8 people (including two kids under 4) so for the sake of having things entertaining for them to do, we'll most likely go to one of the more touristy places (thinking Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge). Anybody have any recommendations for a place to go or lodging? We'll want to keep all nine people in the same condo/cabin/whatever. Access to a pool would be a plus. Just let me know what your experiences are.

Thanks.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    We went 2 years ago and stayed in pigeon forge. There's a lot of activities for family. We had a blast. Went to the upside down house, aquarium, 3d moving theatre, & haunted house as a package deal. I had a great time and definitely plan on returning. Gatlinburg is like 15 mins away and that's where most activities are but we wanted to be up in the mountains and the prices in pigeon forge were better

MOΛΩN ΛABE

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    gatlinburg was simply incredible. it was like the "destin, florida" of the mountains. very touristy, but very worth it. I'd probably advise to go during non peak times. Pigeon forge fun as well.

for a hidden gem, check out "Helen, GA"- whole town is styled/themed like germany, the outdoor bars have heated seats and 3 for $5.00 some of the best beers you've ever had. We sat in single degree weather, comfortable as could be, sipping dark beers and watching the horses and such ride by. was very cheap too, cabin for 6 for the weekend plus dining we got out under 1500.00.

Phill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Best Western Twin Islands

We've stayed in Gatlinburg plenty. The suites at Twin Islands are our favorite. Ask for the suite that's above the office. It's the largest with a separate bedroom and the best view of where the two creeks meet. Twin Islands is near the center of the strip, so you can walk to almost anything.

Bearskin Lodge was a good hotel too, but closer to the far end of the strip. All rooms overlook the creek. All the décor is from the 60's, but in new condition. It's like a time warp!

The Park Grill is one of our favorite restaurants with great food. Most of the food in Tenessee is bland, so we always fill up at one of the pancake houses for breakfast.

Commander 007

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Cades Cove very early in the morning. I think it opens late 10:00am ? on Wednesday, Saturday so they can ride there peddle bikes without the cars. I have seen Bears, Turkeys, 100s of the bigist Buck I have or will ever see, and every other animal to that area. Late evening is also good but the traffic on the loop will be packed.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My brother owns a rental home about halfway up the mountain. It's three stories, 6 bedrooms (two on each floor) three bath with a full kitchen and hot tub. I've stayed there a few times and it's incredible. It you are looking to rent a chalet let me know and I'll see if its available (and get you in touch with the rental manager).

ldn0125

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanksgiving two years ago, we rented a huge cabin from Timber Tops. We had 17 of us -- 10 adults and 7 children. There were three levels, seven bedrooms, 5 full bathrooms, 3 half baths, 2 living rooms, 2 kitchens, 2 sets of laundry machines, 3 wrap around decks, a hot tub and ALL amenities you could imagine! It was the best family vacation EVER! The grandkids keep asking when we are going back to the mountains. I don't regret a penny we spent on that trip.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    Jackson Mountain Homes is great! I used them back in September, could not ask for better service and price. Much cheaper than staying at a hotel.

http://www.jacksonmountainhomes.com/

They gave us like 2 free nights too. The view from our cabin.
    6BCD9555-EA15-4EAB-A433-AA42670A4736-15039-0000137CC44DDEA1.jpg

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    My father-in-law built a cabin about 15 minutes from the Gatlinburg strip, and we go several times a year.
    If you have young children, the Gatlinburg strip is full of things to entertain them. Just watch out, because things you do on the strip are far cheaper just a block off. The Ripleys arcade, for instance, is small and pricey, but a block down under the needle is a much larger, cheaper arcade.
    Putt-Putt is much the same. For the mini-golf, go to Pigeon Forge, it's way cheaper then the strip.
    The aquarium is a must, and much more "interactive" than the New Orleans aquarium.
    The wife and I always like "The Village"; it's a really nice, higher end retail area, set back from the strip. Very easy to find.
    As far as knick-knack and window shopping, there are too many places to mention.
    There are candy shops around every corner, so it's hard to recommend any in particular.
    The Ripley's packages are great deals if you want to kill a day checking out the several attractions.
    Obër Gatlinburg is nice for older kids wanting to ice skate or ski, but if you aren't going to do either, it's a waste of 6 hours minimum(it takes that long to wait in line for the lift, if you aren't going to drive, and the "zoo" is reminiscent of the Audubon zoo in the 60s-70s, nothing nice.) There is a really small and fair price geology shop next to the Obër Gatlinburg lift entrance. Plenty of great take-homes for the kids for under $5.
    Pigeon Forge is nice, with plenty to stop and do along the highway. Once again, look around, because one place may be expensive, and the next cheap as dirt.
    Cade's Cove is a necessity: plenty of old churches, graves, scenic passes and wildlife.
    The Titantic museum is a nice, though sort of expensive, way to kill several hours.
    Theme restaurants are everywhere, so it depends on what your family is into.
    "Dixie Stampede" is worth the money to see once. Last time we went, my 6 year old was selected to chase the chickens and had a blast. Get there early, you won't want to miss any part of the pre-show concert. Dolly Parton, and some others, do stop in unexpectedly and fairly often.
    The "Hatfields and McCoys" is great, too.
    Dollywood is great, also. We go every time we're there and it's open.
    As far as outdoor stuff, you can't throw a rock without hitting a scenic byway, driving trail or cave exploration place. Most all are interesting. The tourist center by the Ripleys Aquarium has just about every brochure for outdoor/craft activities within a half-hour drive of Gatlinburg, and there are literally too many to mention, so stop by and check it out.
    The key to the area is maximizing your budget, so that you can blow the money on entertainment, and not food and lodging. Like I said, go off the strips and back a ways for cheaper food and necessities.
    Also, there are plenty of hotels and motels within 10 minutes of Gatlinburg, so don't pay high price for a room on the strip.
    There was a place called "The Cub"; really small, but only $30ish a night, clean and only 5-10 minutes from Gatlinburg strip.
    We're going up again in the second week of July, but I think this time we're going to focus more on the outdoor/nature stuff, than blowing money on the strip. Especially now that the kids are getting older.
    It's definitely one of our favorite vacation spots. It takes some getting used to if you're from the New Orleans area. Walking up and down the strips with a thousand other people, and not smelling the alcohol and urine...

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    My wife and I honeymooned in Gatlinburg in 2000, we rented a cabin for the two of us that could easily have held a group your size comfortably, the cabins are a real nice way to go and reasonably priced considering the comforts and amenities. Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sieverville are all full of activities and small museums and such, someone already mentioned Cade's Cove, Great Smokey Mountain Brewery had some nice beers, we found tons to do. You can just ride the main drag in Pigeon Forge/Sieverville and find places to go, and the Gatlinburg strip is pretty easily walkable. If you do the Dixie Stampede that someone mentioned, sit enough rows back that dirt won't get thrown on your plate when the horses run by, that was pretty off-putting. If I remember correctly, Pigeon Forge is a dry area smack in the middle of everything else, keep in mind when looking for eats if you like to imbibe.

ldn0125

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Two must stop places for us involve food, of course! The Apple Barn (and the ice cream shop where you can get a hot apple turner ala mode) and Calhoun's for ribs. Yummm - apple butter with apple fritters at the barn.

We do some hiking while up there -- always somewhere that ends in a waterfall or gorgeous overlook. There are some relatively short hikes available.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    You can't get more touristy than Pigeon Forge . That's all I'll say about that .

I'm OK with "touristy" this go-round since we'll have a couple little ones to entertain. Maybe we'll be able to leave them with the less adventurous wives for a few hours and hit a scenic hike or find some rafting.

Thanks for all the input guys. We booked a chalet last night! Keep the comments coming on things to do while we're there!

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Stayed at the westgate resorts in Gatlinburg last summer. They have an indoor water park (retractable roof) that is awesome! The timeshare condos come with everything you need, including high chair/baby needs upon request. All dining ware and pots. Just bring yourself and food. The rates were awesome and the scenary great! Close to pigeon forge and all the sites. We got the condo for 2 days and one night for $80.00 at the last minute. http://westgateresorts.com/smoky-mountain/

Check them out.

ETA - just saw your post that you booked already. You can get separate tickets to the waterpark there if you need something to do. Lazy river in it too - it's called Wild Bear Falls. Real close to the Great Smokey mountain national park.

Last edited:

DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    I spend a few weeks every year in Gatlinburg with my family. I love it up there. BenCarp had plenty of good suggestions, so these are kind of an addition.

Pigeon Forge is very touristy. I think of it as Veterans Highway in Metairie... That being said, there is plenty to do there. Go karts, shopping, food, jurassic park ride, as seen on tv stores... haha. you can easily entertain yourself here for a day or two. Some things that come to mind:

Wonderworks - upside down building near titanic(iirc) - good hands-on science stuff for all ages.
    We like Bullfish Grill in Pigeon Forge, and Huck Finn's(All you can eat fried chicken and catfish, and its good!). Used to eat at Duff's Smorgasbord, but it closed...
    There is a huge knife shop on your way into pigeon forge from the interstate. The other people in your party may not be happy about stopping but it is worth a look.

Gatlinburg is much smaller, but more charming. There have been a lot of new retail additions to the area recently. You can easily see the whole strip in a day or so, and there is plenty to see. In Galinburg:

Driving/Hiking trails (Roaring fork motor trail, and plenty in the park, Chimney Tops is great for picnic and relaxing) - When you get to the end of the Gatlinburg strip, you will be entering the park. There are lots of hiking trails and even some waterfalls that are easy to get to, even with kids. I highly suggest you drive through the park and stop at some pull-outs. I can get the names of some of the falls/trails if you are interested. Just PM me.
    If you go to Ober, do the Alpine slide :) link
    Eat at "Best Italian", but only the one in Gatlinburg towards the end of the strip at the back of a parking lot. Just ask someone from around there.
    Get some food and beer at Smoky Mountain Brewery. They brew their own.
    Craw-Daddy's is decent if you miss home.

I probably forgot more than I put here... Good luck and have fun!

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I spend a few weeks every year in Gatlinburg with my family. I love it up there. BenCarp had plenty of good suggestions, so these are kind of an addition.

Pigeon Forge is very touristy. I think of it as Veterans Highway in Metairie... That being said, there is plenty to do there. Go karts, shopping, food, jurassic park ride, as seen on tv stores... haha. you can easily entertain yourself here for a day or two. Some things that come to mind:

Wonderworks - upside down building near titanic(iirc) - good hands-on science stuff for all ages.
    We like Bullfish Grill in Pigeon Forge, and Huck Finn's(All you can eat fried chicken and catfish, and its good!). Used to eat at Duff's Smorgasbord, but it closed...
    There is a huge knife shop on your way into pigeon forge from the interstate. The other people in your party may not be happy about stopping but it is worth a look.

Gatlinburg is much smaller, but more charming. There have been a lot of new retail additions to the area recently. You can easily see the whole strip in a day or so, and there is plenty to see. In Galinburg:

Driving/Hiking trails (Roaring fork motor trail, and plenty in the park, Chimney Tops is great for picnic and relaxing) - When you get to the end of the Gatlinburg strip, you will be entering the park. There are lots of hiking trails and even some waterfalls that are easy to get to, even with kids. I highly suggest you drive through the park and stop at some pull-outs. I can get the names of some of the falls/trails if you are interested. Just PM me.
    If you go to Ober, do the Alpine slide :) link
    Eat at "Best Italian", but only the one in Gatlinburg towards the end of the strip at the back of a parking lot. Just ask someone from around there.
    Get some food and beer at Smoky Mountain Brewery. They brew their own.
    Craw-Daddy's is decent if you miss home.

I probably forgot more than I put here... Good luck and have fun!

I thought Ober was a ski park?

Top Bottom