vz2008 vs. amd65

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    What is ya'll opinion? Which one would be the better buy?

4624-vz2008sporter762x39wfixedsyntheticstockmilledreceiverbycai.jpg

3115-hungarianamd-65sa-2000mak-47riflefegreceivertgiimportwsidefoldingstock.JPG

Last edited:

bigoo7e

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Haughton, La. 71037
    I personally like the design on the VZ better. The safety, last round hold open, short stroke gas system, milled receiver, it's lighter than you average AK, and many other things but I won't bore anyone with that stuff. AK's are great guns, I just prefer the VZ's over them.

maadi47

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    zachary,la
    I have to side with the AMD. Mags are far easier to find plus it's an AK. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. Just make sure and get a TGI import. it has chrome lined barrel and has Hungarian reciever. Lastly the VZ2008 is a Century build so it is a gamble.

Last edited:

scottybaw

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Lafayette
    I own a VZ from Czechpoint with a Waffen Works reciever, it is far superior to any AK I have ever shot and it is more left hand friendly. The ergonomics are better and I think the overall quality is better. Ak mags are easier to get but a quick look on the net and you can get mags for the VZ pretty easily. However I would not ever buy the Century build VZ 2008.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I would get the VZ for many of the reasons bigoo7e stated. I wouldn't get a FEG receiver model AMD just because they're basically impossible to get 922r compliant with foreign mags and use the foreign made furniture. That's why they come with the Tapco US made magazine. If you want to legally use foreign mags then you'd have to get an AMD with a US receiver. Or you can get a pair of US made wood grips and replace the factory plastic ones. Either way the gas piston has to be changed out to use foreign mags. Mags for the VZ are not hard to find and are not that expensive so don't worry too much about that. I have and prefer a Century made VZ because the Czechpoint imports come in as sporter rifles and do not have the bayonet lugs. That may be nothing to you but I like my rifles to look as correct as possible. They're much less expensive too.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    There's not a whole lot of difference on price in mind. The mag issue and the 922r issue each are concerning. However, if all I have to do is buy the right mags, its kind of a wash. The vs being a century build has me worried, and I'd heard good things about the feg receiver. I don't plan on changing them around, just using them for range toy or shtf gun. Which one would be better, or are they equally as good?

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    There's not a whole lot of difference on price in mind. The mag issue and the 922r issue each are concerning. However, if all I have to do is buy the right mags, its kind of a wash. The vs being a century build has me worried, and I'd heard good things about the feg receiver. I don't plan on changing them around, just using them for range toy or shtf gun. Which one would be better, or are they equally as good?

Century today, is not century of the past

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

SicilianSecrets

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA
    I have to side with the AMD. Mags are far easier to find plus it's an AK. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. Just make sure and get a TGI import. it has chrome lined barrel and has Hungarian reciever. Lastly the VZ2008 is a Century build so it is a gamble.

+1 I have the AMD 65 also and love it. It's light weight loaded, very small package, and is accurate. Tapco 30 rd mags are $6 each, and if you want to switch it up, you can throw on a $65 rail/hand cover, then use other magazines. The TGI import is quality. I am considering repainting mine a tiger stripe pattern, or using some old football uniform mesh to give it a good pattern when I repaint it. Just can't decide what colors...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom