wabbit reviews cheap-o fun guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Okay so while on my hiking/family trip my group shared many thorough discussions of things firearms, and on saturday we took turns putting a pile of guns, including my "fun guns" through their paces. Included a full day in the field, and round counts up to 1500 for each. You may recall some threads regarding some of these guns... my opinions have probably changed.

Rossi Ranch Hand- .45lc : Purchased as a "fun gun" , aka the Mares Leg. I love steve mcqueen, bullitt mustangs, and wanted the gun when I saw it.

The Rossi got ~100 rounds through it and Ill say that up close and personal, its a joy to shoot. It has a huge boom and just feels "awesome". Everyone that shot it grinned ear to ear on the first trigger pull. Fun factor: 8/10. We had an absolute blast shooting melons and 2 liter coke bottles hickok style. The problem is that because of its awkward design, it is difficult to aim and fire with any expected accuracy. It's slow to reload, uses expensive bullets, and had 2 FTE's at rounds ~60 and ~80.

This gun currently sits in my safe as a conversation piece. The best thing this gun does is look awesome coming out of the safe, and for that I love it. Everyone needs a "just 'cause" gun, and for me this is that gun. For any use as a truck/brush gun (as some advocate online) I'd personally rather have any functional pistol on my hip, and I do mean any.

Taurus Judge- .45/410: I did not purchase this gun. I Received in a 3 for 1 trade at a gun show, and I consider it to have been acquired for "free". After ~200 rounds, I have nothing positive to say about this gun. My problem with this gun is that it just doesn't do anything well. Shooting 410 from it was pointless beyond 7 yards or so, so I consider that aspect of the gun a marketing gimmick. To its credit the gun didn't malfunction - hey, something positive afterall. I'd rather have any revolver or any shotgun than this pistol that pretends to be both. Our resident knife expert said for the functional range of the Judge, he'd rather have his blade- and no one smirked when he said it. The fact that this wasn't even perceived as a joke should weigh how poor this firearm truly is. This gun was traded and I'm glad that its gone.

HI Point Carbine- 9mm : Purchased TWO of this firearm. This is still a sore subject for me, so let me start by saying it is the strongest love/hate relationship I've ever had with a gun. The love: Ah, my favorite cheap-o truck gun. It shares ammo with both of my edc guns, is cheap enough to not be concerned with it getting scratched up, and is pretty fun to shoot. Our first ~200 rounds were fantastic. It is easy to shoot well (read: accurate) and multiple shooters had tennis-ball sized groups at 40 yards. It has very low recoil and is incredibly good fun to shoot. The hate: after 200 rounds (almost exactly) it refused to function entirely. Repeated FTF's on every other shot. We set it aside for an hour to let it cool, and when we picked it up it worked like the first 200 rounds did. After 50 shots, it waved its white flag again. It just hates hard work I guess. I contacted Hi Point this morning and was told that they'd exchange it for an identical model, new. I was impressed, but that doesn't settle my issue with the gun. He said the only issue they've seen is with aftermarket mags, which I can vouch for. It did have issues with the promags, but had them with the factory mags as well once it started acting up. Until now I've never had an issue with these guns, but its the first time they got that much abuse all at once. I'll be sending this one in to hi point and the other (the FDE one) will be listed for sale eventually. PM if interested. http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?125178-Painting-your-guns-my-project-pics

Extar EXP-556 : My $500.00 AR Pistol. The sound is harsh, but the muzzle flash is absurd- it literally barks an 8" fireball after every round. This was so much fun to shoot that we had to hit 2000 rounds through the day. It never hiccuped once, and taking it down to clean I was quite impressed at the simplicity. Sub-50 yards the groupings were impressively small, and at 100 yards it rang the plate every time. I don't know how potent it'd be at that range, but I wouldn't hunt anything with it unless I had to. Short range, I think it'd drop medium game with ease. The pros: 30 round mags, 5.56/.223, and despite only weighing a couple pounds there is absolutely zero recoil. Without the mag inserted it'd fit in a briefcase or backpack easily. I'm not a ballistics scientist, so I can't say that its more/less firepower than the other guns tested- but it certainly seems like it. My only concern is the longevity of a polymer pistol firing .223, but so far so good. As far as use, I'd never opt for this in lieu of a rifle if I had the choice, but for what it is its a great little gun. With the brace (stock? lol) it's awesome good fun.

Kel-tec Sub2k : This thing, again, is a pistol caliber carbine that markets itself as an ideal backpack/trunk gun. The folding for ease of storage and the fact that it shares my edc mags, not just the caliber, are by far its highest selling points. This gun gets my overall "meh" opinion. It wasn't a joy to shoot, but it wasn't the poorest performer either. It did have occasional random issues, but nothing major like some of the others. Total round count for the day was probably ~700, and for "accuracy" i'll say it was in the middle of the pack for ease of use. I don't know the math on 9mm pcc vs .223 pistol, but I'd be happy with either. Notably, the sub2k and EXP were the only two that'd fit in a briefcase or small backpack with ease. The S2k is a great plinking gun, and if it was all I had in my trunk when the zombies invaded- I'd happily slide the mag out of my g19 and pop it into the sub2k. I wouldn't necessarily rush out to buy a sub2k specifically for this purpose, but I do see some value in managing weight and carrying a carbine/pistol combo that accept the same magazines. It is much preferred to just sharing the same caliber.

After a day of shooting, deliberating, and considering it over a scotch by the fireplace, my final opinions are:

Pistol Caliber Carbines: If I'm making the special effort to get to my trunk or dive into my backpack, it's because I need more firepower than the 9mm on my hip. It seems silly, imo, to reach for a bigger 9mm. Ultimate use for range fun or plinking, I'd say 10/10.

If I had to purchase just 1 gun on this list, it'd be a coin flip between the sub2k and the exp556. Notable difference being sharing mags with my g19 vs firing 5.56 over 9mm.

Also fired, but not reviewed: a handful of ruger/colt revolvers and 1911's, some SBR's, two AK's, a VZ, and some other stuff. It was a good day!

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Thanks for sharing...I'll add some to your list (if you don't mind).

TAURUS JUDGE : I agree with almost everything you listed about this gun but I'm refuting it's uses. I carry a judge public defender with alternating buck and small game shot everywhere in the woods on hot days and on my camp work days in summer. It is the ULTIMATE firearm for snakes and I'm sure it would scare off whatever pack of hogs I may run upon. No I don't want to carry a full length shotgun while working, and I haven't met a man in person brave enough to go after a 5.5' timber rattler with a knife! I would not shoot this with intentions of killing anything save for snakes or small varmints at extremely close range so as a personal defense pistol you are better off with REAL BULLETS. If you don't regularly encounter snakes then I'd say it's not the best firearm.

KELTEC PMR-30 : I love this pistol! Would I really use a .22 WMR to defend myself? NO! But dang is it one of THE best shooting pistols I have and is it SUPER fun to carry and blast things with. It weighs nearly nothing fully loaded and my son and I had fun blasting banana spiders and exploding them with nothing more than the FIREBALL that it launches from the muzzle. Then I realized with it's incredible trigger and killer sights that it is in fact one of the most accurate pistols I own. This thing can almost break sporting clays at 100 yds!! Definite keeper for the fun level.

Ruger 10/22 : I have 5 of them...I'm addicted. I have one setup with the BMF crank on the side and EVERYONE enjoys playing like it's full auto! What the hell...they are cheap and they work. Accurate enough for squirrels and "dusk rabbits" and they suppress well and are small. I really like these firearms.

Mini Draco : Again, fireballs and cheap bullets trump accuracy sometimes. Mine is surprisingly accurate, but its' not the best AK I have by a lot. Great for a trunk, but I'd rather AR style for real duty...but it works and 154 SP should kill just about anything you point at within range if you are in a bind.

RUGER 22/45 LITE : Threaded barrel, light weight, added volquartsen accurizing kit and a red dot. HOLY COW THIS GUN IS FUN! ESPECIALLY with my .22 suppressors. MOVIE quiet with most .22 ammo and incredibly accurate with subs. I love it. But again, what do you do with a .22 that's under 1000 fps?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    We shot various objects with the Judge. Taurus should have made that a much longer barrel and advertised it as a farm/trail gun. The one we had wasn't a long barrel, so maybe those are better at dispersing shot. I didn't elaborate above, but the 00BK fired directly at a watermelon at ~10 yards missed it entirely (nicked the edges). Fired at 7 yards it hit the edges significantly, and only when fired at 3-4 yards or less did it do its advertised job. If I'm within ten feet of a 5' rattler, I'm only inches from striking distance. That's why i say it didn't do anything well. Shot from a 3" barrel spreads faster than a drunk cheerleader. The overall penetration was just awful as well. We shot 2 liter bottles, rigged targets, paper/cardboard, and various melons etc. I know people are passionate about the Judge- but I just see it as a failure of a compromise. FYI Harris- the knife comment was made in reference to self defense, and at 4 yards knife trumps gun almost* every time.

I'd advocate a youth model shotgun as a fantastic option for a "small" snake gun. I'd also advocate it as a creative self defense gun- but thats a topic for another day.

and yes, the ruger 10/22 is a legend. I also like the M&P22, despite not being a fan of its big brother.

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    We shot various objects with the Judge. Taurus should have made that a much longer barrel and advertised it as a farm/trail gun. The one we had wasn't a long barrel, so maybe those are better at dispersing shot. I didn't elaborate above, but the 00BK fired directly at a watermelon at ~10 yards missed it entirely (nicked the edges). Fired at 7 yards it hit the edges significantly, and only when fired at 3-4 yards or less did it do its advertised job. If I'm within ten feet of a 5' rattler, I'm only inches from striking distance. That's why i say it didn't do anything well. Shot from a 3" barrel spreads faster than a drunk cheerleader. The overall penetration was just awful as well. We shot 2 liter bottles, rigged targets, paper/cardboard, and various melons etc. I know people are passionate about the Judge- but I just see it as a failure of a compromise.

I'd advocate a youth model shotgun as a fantastic option for a "small" snake gun. I'd also advocate it as a creative self defense gun- but thats a topic for another day.

and yes, the ruger 10/22 is a legend. I also like the M&P22, despite not being a fan of its big brother.

I've taken 3 snakes with my public defender: One timber rattler, Two cotton-mouths. They don't like the small game loads (7 shot IIRC?). And yes I have yet to spot one further away than 10 feet! So I like the "Draw and shoot" of the Taurus. I have 3 of the 7 shot and 2 of the buck loaded. I really don't think buck would do anything to be honest. Not enough velocity. I can tell you that it is LOUD AS HELL.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Thanks for sharing...I'll add some to your list (if you don't mind).

TAURUS JUDGE : I agree with almost everything you listed about this gun but I'm refuting it's uses. I carry a judge public defender with alternating buck and small game shot everywhere in the woods on hot days and on my camp work days in summer. It is the ULTIMATE firearm for snakes and I'm sure it would scare off whatever pack of hogs I may run upon. No I don't want to carry a full length shotgun while working, and I haven't met a man in person brave enough to go after a 5.5' timber rattler with a knife! I would not shoot this with intentions of killing anything save for snakes or small varmints at extremely close range so as a personal defense pistol you are better off with REAL BULLETS. If you don't regularly encounter snakes then I'd say it's not the best firearm.

Counter-counterpoint: a "real" .357 (read: actual non-Taurus/non-P.O.S. Revolver) loaded with snakeshot and/or .38/.357 would do everything you would hope to accomplish with the Judge, minus the weight, horrible accuracy, money wasted upon, and shame that "should" accompany purchase.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't like revolvers much so I'll not draw out the debate any more than the fact that I have never had a real "bullet" in my judge ever. Shot shells only and I have a .410 shotgun already so the judge makes more sense than getting another pistol (and yet another set of calibers) that I plan on shooting shot shells and bullets out of. OP and I agree the judge functions flawlessly. Mine has been perfect so far.

I just weighed my fully loaded Glock 30 at 2lbs 2oz. And my stainless Taurus public defender snub loaded with 7 shot at 1 lb 14+5/8 oz. I wouldn't call it heavy at all. I bet the poly framed PD is considerably lighter.

The added plus for snakes of the judge over a .357 with rat shot is a lot more pellets and easier ammo to come by.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    We shot various objects with the Judge. Taurus should have made that a much longer barrel and advertised it as a farm/trail gun. The one we had wasn't a long barrel, so maybe those are better at dispersing shot. I didn't elaborate above, but the 00BK fired directly at a watermelon at ~10 yards missed it entirely (nicked the edges). Fired at 7 yards it hit the edges significantly, and only when fired at 3-4 yards or less did it do its advertised job. If I'm within ten feet of a 5' rattler, I'm only inches from striking distance. That's why i say it didn't do anything well. Shot from a 3" barrel spreads faster than a drunk cheerleader. The overall penetration was just awful as well. We shot 2 liter bottles, rigged targets, paper/cardboard, and various melons etc. I know people are passionate about the Judge- but I just see it as a failure of a compromise. FYI Harris- the knife comment was made in reference to self defense, and at 4 yards knife trumps gun almost* every time.

Like this you mean? They (under the Rossi tag) make a carbine version.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAKW81NPZSw

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

I used to tote one around outside for the same reason but then just got tired of the weight. I replaced it with a Bond Arms 45/410 Derringer and haven't looked back. It does the same job on snakes, patterns about the same and you can swap barrels on it.

I also share the same opinion on my Draco but you left out one positive feature; It is classified as a pistol therefore covered by the same concealed carry laws....not that you could effectively conceal it on your body, but a laptop case, etc is an option.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I used to tote one around outside for the same reason but then just got tired of the weight. I replaced it with a Bond Arms 45/410 Derringer and haven't looked back. It does the same job on snakes, patterns about the same and you can swap barrels on it.

I also share the same opinion on my Draco but you left out one positive feature; It is classified as a pistol therefore covered by the same concealed carry laws....not that you could effectively conceal it on your body, but a laptop case, etc is an option.

I'd argue the exp556 over the draco for concealable hardware. That thing is small and weightless. It actually fits in my briefcase and still has room for the usual crap.

Just wait, it's going to be my EDC on a cold afternoon. I just gotta find a Han Solo OWB holster.

Last edited:

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    ah yes. I hadnt seen that before. I dont know if its any good or not, but its definitely better than that stupid pistol

I'd say it has to be better. Plenty of rabbits and squirrels are taken down with .410, and I'm sure some bigger game with .45LC.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Anyone carrying the judge cause 410 is missing their calling with a serbu super shorty. If you're going to be silly, at least look BA while doing it.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I'd say it has to be better. Plenty of rabbits and squirrels are taken down with .410, and I'm sure some bigger game with .45LC.

Much more accurate because it has a removable choke that stops the rotation of 410 shot, just don't forget it is in there and send any 45lc through it.

The thing is hideous though, even in stainless. I don't know why, but I just hate the looks of revolver carbines.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

I have handled the bond arms and I think it's funny you talk about the weight. Those things are built like TANKS and for only having two shots it is horribly non-ergonomic and is very heavy (for what you get). The .410 version of the bond arms snake slayer is 22 oz. The Taurus 5-shot .410 public defender is only 5 more ounces at 27oz. I still would prefer the PD over the Bond arms based on the fact that I get 3 more shots with it. Price-wise they are close to the same. I picked up my PD used for $375 from this site and I love it for what I use it for (snakes in the woods).

To each his own, but for the money I wasn't passing on the public defender (stainless) for $375...It is indeed a reliable and useful sidearm for me vs. the snakes.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    I have handled the bond arms and I think it's funny you talk about the weight. Those things are built like TANKS and for only having two shots it is horribly non-ergonomic and is very heavy (for what you get). The .410 version of the bond arms snake slayer is 22 oz. The Taurus 5-shot .410 public defender is only 5 more ounces at 27oz. I still would prefer the PD over the Bond arms based on the fact that I get 3 more shots with it. Price-wise they are close to the same. I picked up my PD used for $375 from this site and I love it for what I use it for (snakes in the woods).

To each his own, but for the money I wasn't passing on the public defender (stainless) for $375...It is indeed a reliable and useful sidearm for me vs. the snakes.

I understand your argument, but in my reasoning, if I was going to justify packing something to kill snakes then I didn't need more than 2 shots anyhow. I couldn't just slide the judge into my pocket, the derringer I could. Now the poly PD would def be a different story weight wise. Have you shot one yet? I stroked one at local B&M the other day and liked it.

One other factor that made me switch is shell compatibility. I have a Saiga 410 that only fires 3" shells so that is what I stocked up on. My Judge only fires 2 3/4". I considered the model that fires 3" shells, but then we start adding more weight/bulk etc.

Theta36

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2014
    Pollock,La
    if your looking for a shotgun pistol for snakes you have a s&W govenor & taurus judge. I prefer the taurus judge only downfall there plastic sights are known to break of with a few the 1st_3rd round fired good luck sir

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom