Walmart No Self-Defense Policy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    wow...having worked in retail I'm familiar with the policy of not intervening with shoplifters, but I've never heard of a policy that prevents you from saving your own life. :eek3:

Just another reason to not shop at walmart.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yeah, let's see.....Defending one's self from serious bodily harm (up to possible brain damage, death, etc) vs. losing a job.

Decisions, decisions....
    hmmm9uh.gif

:rolleyes:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's possible their rules-lawyering isn't addressing the act of defending himself, but rather inserting himself into a violent situation he had nothing to do with.

Not at all defending the policy, obviously. It's ****.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    While I obviously disagree with the firing, I don't see a policy against self defense anywhere.

You could be right...I could be drawing assumptions from this clip from the article:

Oswald says Walmart has policies against workplace violence to prevent employees from assaulting co-workers or tackling a shoplifter, but that it appears that nothing allows for them to assist in situations of imminent danger and self-defense.

I'm guessing walmart's main reason for firing was that their employee went to help a lady who was in imminent danger.

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    They won't even allow their security people to chase a shoplifter into the parking lot.
    And I will bet they have nothing in writing to back up this "company policy" violation.

Also, make note of the line "temporary assignment."

Walmart no longer hires full or part-time employees.
    They only hire "temporary" workers.
    They are also getting rid of as many full and part-time employees as they can in order to dodge the Obamacare mandate.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Yeah, let's see.....Defending one's self from serious bodily harm (up to possible brain damage, death, etc) vs. losing a job.
    Decisions, decisions...

But you're forgetting, you have to already be brain dead to work there in the first place. I am amazed daily that people still work for or shop with that company.
    When you are dealing with the "Evil Empire" you really have to expect this sort of thing.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Also, make note of the line "temporary assignment."

Walmart no longer hires full or part-time employees.
    They only hire "temporary" workers.
    They are also getting rid of as many full and part-time employees as they can in order to dodge the Obamacare mandate.

Dude was just hired. He was still in his probationary period. That's like, SOP for any place I've ever been hired. You are on a probationary period for 30, 60, 90, 180, (whatever) days and until then they can decide to tell you not to come back for any reason or none.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Many places have a policy that states you should hit back at someone if they hit you. It is a CYA so the business can't be held liable for an employee defending themselves. My place of work has a similar policy.

As I have said before...if someone hits me, I will look for another job. I don't see how anyone would actually take a hit and say nothing because they might loose their job over it.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    The policy against chasing shoplifters makes sense. If an employee winds up getting injured/killed, it's probably going to cost the company a lot more than the merchandise being stolen is worse. Especially if they had a policy to chase shoplifters (law$$$$$uit). Firing him for helping someone out that's being assaulted is BS though. But to be honest, it's probably worth it for him. He's only being fired from Walmart, after all.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Dude was just hired. He was still in his probationary period. That's like, SOP for any place I've ever been hired. You are on a probationary period for 30, 60, 90, 180, (whatever) days and until then they can decide to tell you not to come back for any reason or none.

He was hired as a temporary and a temporary he would always have been.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    But earlier you said they didn't hire part time either. I would've thought you meant they only hired part time(when you were talking about temporary employees only) and were being witty, except you specifically said they don't hire part time workers.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    But earlier you said they didn't hire part time either. I would've thought you meant they only hired part time(when you were talking about temporary employees only) and were being witty, except you specifically said they don't hire part time workers.

Regardless of what is in the article Walmart no longer hires full time, or part-time workers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom