Want to build a private range

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Some of you guys shoot on your own land. Maybe its a camp site, or you just live out in the country. Well I live in Metaire,so no shooting at my house. I mentioned to a friend the other day that after I graduate (May) and start making money, that I would like to buy some land to build a private range. A few of my friends also had interest in the idea. Between me and one or two other people, I would not be surprised if it could actually get done. I was wondering, where would the closest, and more affordable place to build a range be. I wouldn't be building a house on the land, basically just a long strip of land and a backstop. Also, is land often sold in long strips, or is it mostly in squares. Once again, being from Metairie leaves me with very little knowledge about rural land purchases. I have no idea what kind of acreage I would need to make sure I was sufficient distance from anyone else, and how much it costs. Also what kind of cost would I be looking at to build a backstop. I would ideally like to have a 400-600m range. My friend wants to eventually buy a 50BMG. I don't think I would ever buy anything bigger than 30. I assume that would play in to the backstop requirements.

So I am just trying to get some rough ideas to see if it is even feasible. Any thoughts, opinions, or information would be appreciated.

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Something to think about, be weary of business deals with family/friends. What happens if they want out? Or can't afford the upkeep? Are you going to be mad, etc. in the words of Dave Ramsey "it could make thanksgiving dinner taste funny."

mudgrip92

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    destrehan la
    also i do a lot of work for a few dirt moving companies can get a few quotes on a back stop,lanes,parking areas or what ever you would need . the guys i work for are gun enthusiasts as well and would do a good job , even do a good price for some advertising on there behalf .............just another thought.......... i do know a lot of people looking for something close to the nola area

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    I have recently had an issue with a good friend relating to money, so I can understand the validity of that argument. I had the idea on my own, but thinking about possibly cutting my costs in half is obviously tempting. Lets assume I do it on my own, in order to cut out potential headaches down the road.

This is where I stand now. I live at home with my parents in Metairie. I hope to graduate from nursing school (RN) in May. I won't be rich, but after I find a job I should not have a hard time holding a respectable income. I plan to live at home for 2 years after graduating to save money. I want to use that to buy a new car and put a deposit on a place for myself. I don't spend much money on consumables, but rather try and save it for big ticket items I want. I am not saying I am a master saver. I figure in two years I should be able to make $100,000 ( just a guess) l figure $20k for a new car, $50k saved for a down payment, and $30k for taxes and whatever else. These are all total estimates. I'm throwing this out there so maybe benorth or another Dave Ramsey fan can give me an idea of what I could spend on a second property. I figure after 3-4 years post grad I could have enough money saved to buy some land.

So yes, that does mean I am asking ya'll for advice on something that likely wont happen for 3-4 years. I am just curious as to what the cost and work involved is. I would love to be able to go down range whenever I wanted without having to wait for the range master to call it cold, or be able to use a suppressor without heavy hearing protection, I would still likely wear plugs, but I can't do any of that where I shoot now.

Mudgrip, thanks for letting me know you have connections that could help me build something. If things go the right way I will be contacting you to help me set things up, and obviously let you come out and shoot. Though I guess it would not likely be very close to you.

So if you have any more info please keep it coming. It may end up helping someone else out before me, but it is definitely something I would like to do.

Last edited:

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Mudgrip, I am not sure if you are suggesting I build a range to charge membership for, and advertise your construction buddies on, and I can't say I am opposed. My concern would be management, liability, zoning, and taxes. Going from personal use to commercial is a big difference. Some sort of private club might be a possibility. As in keep the membership very low, screen applicants and keep the property locks. So members have keys and go in/ out on their own. Maybe you aren't suggesting that, but that's what came to my head.

My first priority would be working it out to make sure I could afford it on my own. Kind of like friends, it's best to make sure that I don't have to entrust my financial securities in others.

mudgrip92

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    destrehan la
    hey no problem! ill be around for a long time on here. i've been a member of ar-15.com for a few years now and heard of this sight from a good friend ,and have been hooked since (i like my gun forums). i have met a lot of REALLY good folks on this sight and in person (this is one of the best forum sights for good local folks that i i have ever been a part of)so if you need anything this should be your one stop for all your needs . thanks

mudgrip92

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    destrehan la
    no indeed you do what you will with your range my guys would just like to put a banner up "anwhere" to advertise cuz they do work for hunting clubs as well , like clearing lanes , trails so on and so on . anything for a little advertisement these days ,and ya know word of mouth on a good job ,quality work,fair price goes a long way

mudgrip92

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    destrehan la
    no indeed you do what you will with your range my guys would just like to put a banner up "anwhere" to advertise cuz they do work for hunting clubs as well , like clearing lanes , trails so on and so on . anything for a little advertisement these days ,and ya know word of mouth on a good job ,quality work,fair price goes a long way

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just be sure to think it all out. I am not a financial advisor, but you should consider speaking with one, or taking a Dave Ramsey course if you have time. Upon purchasing the property you'll have the added expense of the upkeep, etc. You'll have property taxes for two properties, proper equipment to maintain the property (most likely a tractor) as well as someone or another piece of equipment to maintain your lanes and back stop. Assuming, that you come out of school making 50k a year; you have $0 debt (to include current car notes, student loans, credit cards, etc), no major life changes (children, wife, injuries), and you are able to live conservatively, it is possible. However, I feel that it isn't smart. Because you won't be receiving revenue from your range property I am against it. It is a toy and you just dont finance toys. As much as it is an investment, if you get in a hole it may be a hard sell and then you are stuck picking between bills. I would hold off on buying until your debts are paid, or buy a piece of property that fits both of your desires, a home and a range. My concerns are simply the unknown, if you come across a dirt cheap piece of property that you can pay cash I would say roll with it, but right now since the idea is nothing more then a dream I think it will all just depend on where you are at when the time comes.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Benorth, In the real world almost nothing of real value is purchased with cash by the majority and the vast majority never finished paying their debts.

Muddy45

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Covington
    OP if you really want to build a range, you might want to check out the NRA's range development class. It's a 3-4 day class on everything that you would need to do to make it a safe place to shoot.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Your biggest issue is going to be the cost of the property and finding a place where you can meet all ordinances and laws. Jefferson Parish is 5500 feet from pretty much anything, so basically a mile. Finding a place where you can be a mile from a road, usually means a lot of land, a lot of land(especially dry land), is pretty damn expensive here.
    (Code 1961, § 12-19)

Sec. 20-150. - Discharge of slingshots, arrows, air rifles, firearms and other weapons.
    (a) Discharge of slingshots, arrows, air rifles, etc., within five hundred (500) feet of public places. It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any slingshot, blank pistol, blank cartridge, shotgun, fowling piece, air rifle, air pistol, or any arrow or other projectile capable of inflicting death or grievous bodily injury within five hundred (500) feet of any public place, road highway, street, park, playground, walk or walkway, bike or horse trail, navigable stream or waterway, canal, residence, home or building or structure occupied or capable of habitation within the parish.
    (b) Discharge of firearms within five thousand five hundred (5,500) feet of a public place. It shall be unlawful for any person to fire or discharge any firearms, pistol, rifle or any weapon which is designed to expel any projectile or projectiles a distance in excess of one thousand (1,000) feet by the action of any explosive within five thousand five hundred (5,500) feet of any public place, road, highway, street, park, playground, walk or walkway, bike or horse trail, navigable stream or waterway, canal, residence, home, building or structure occupied or capable of habitation within the parish.
    (c) Exceptions. The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) To public shooting or archery galleries now lawfully established hereafter as provided by law or parish ordinance.
    (2) To target practice ranges or shooting galleries required and maintained by the sheriff's department and target practice ranges of organizations which have presently established and approved target practice ranges in the parish;
    (3) To the use and discharge of blank pistols and blank cartridges only where the use and discharge thereof is conducted in formal ceremonies conducted by recognized organizations, such as the V.F.W. and American Legion, and for athletic events and in connection with the training of hunting dogs; and further, provided a permit, in advance, is obtained from the department of inspections and code enforcement; to pound keepers and/or their helpers pursuant to their duties in rounding up stray or wild animals during performance of such duties;
    (4) To the sheriff, his deputies or any other duly legally constituted officer of the law or law enforcement officer while acting in his or their official capacity.

BrandonLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    As a nurse you would likely be working 2 to 3 days a week to make your goal of ~$50k/yr. You could take on a second job and make your goal in about a year with little social life. If you only have one job your peripheral spending % would go up. Consequently, with two jobs it has the opposite effect. Plus, you would be better off, giving your living arrangement, paying off any outstanding debt immediately would likely benefit you the most in the long run. Then you can join a hunting club, this could expose you to some land opportunities that you might be in a better position at the time to take advantage of.

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Most nurses I think work 3/4 days a week to maintain close to 40 hours. I likely won't have time to take a second job right out of school, but I will be kept busy regardless. Since Charity is an Associate degree RN, I will most likely end up at LSU for another year to get my Bachelors. It doesn't have any effect on my scope of practice, but will make it easier for me to move around and increase my odds at promotion. My friend's wife recently graduated with an Associates RN and said her hospital is paying for her continuing education, so no extra debt. I will owe about $8,000 when I graduate. A friend agreed to buy me out of a small partnership we had, and he still owes me $6,000 on that. We agreed that he would pay me back before my student loans started accumulating interest, which is 6 months after I graduate. So I basically am $2,000 in debt, which I would not consider much. I currently spend very little money on food, alcohol, entertainment. I prefer to spend my money on things I can see and keep, I hate expendables. I know ammo falls into that category. With a private range however, I won't have to worry if the brass I am scooping up belongs to me or someone else. School doesn't leave me any time for dating, so after graduating a GF would have a significant adverse affect my discretionary income.

If Jefferson's laws are too restrictive, I can go farther out. I don't want to be driving 30+ miles, but I am already driving 18-20 miles to get to Nick's when I do find the time to go shooting. I would be happy to plaster a company billboard on the entrance to the property if it cut down my expenses. Also, if I could afford to do it on my own, I would not be apposed to possibly opening it up to others. My days off from the hospital would likely leave me with enough free time to manage some extra paperwork. I just would not want to end up in a situation where I would have to shut down the operation, and be unable to afford the bills on my own. Letting other people in would obviously be a win/win. People from around my area would have a nice place to shoot, and I would be spending less money on a personal dream. In my opinion nothing ruins a dream more than stress. I would not want to have to run it like a business worrying about my bottom line. I would much rather it just be a side thing that helps subsidize my own interests, even if I still take an overall loss. I obviously do not intend for this project to be a source of income. I don't mind shooting around other people, I would just like the option to close it off to others when I wish for some private or to throw personal get togethers. I have never been or will be an everyday shooter, so it would kind of be a waste to not let other people use the area. I definitely need to talk to some people that have built ranges in the state so get an idea of costs. While everyone here has been helpful thus far, and given me things to think about, I still don't know if I am looking at $20k or $200k.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Something to think about, be weary of business deals with family/friends. What happens if they want out? Or can't afford the upkeep? Are you going to be mad, etc. in the words of Dave Ramsey "it could make thanksgiving dinner taste funny."

I love me some Dave Ramsey! My favorite quote of his is "Christmas is NOT an emergency!"

kk5fe

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Covington
    OP if you really want to build a range, you might want to check out the NRA's range development class. It's a 3-4 day class on everything that you would need to do to make it a safe place to shoot.

Finding the land is one thing and doing it right is another. The tip Muddy45 sent is a good one. I'll also put this out. I was just talking to a fellow in Oxford Ms. that has a gun store on many acres of land... so he owns it already. He wants to build a range on it for general shooting plus pistol competitions. He is finding it difficult to get things rolling. First if its a for profit range you will need to get an EPA certificate which also means removal of all lead from your backstops once a year. Then there is insurance... The NRA class would probably tell you all that. Hope you can do it.... lots of folks like myself would go I'm sure. :)

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Most nurses I think work 3/4 days a week to maintain close to 40 hours. I likely won't have time to take a second job right out of school, but I will be kept busy regardless. Since Charity is an Associate degree RN, I will most likely end up at LSU for another year to get my Bachelors. It doesn't have any effect on my scope of practice, but will make it easier for me to move around and increase my odds at promotion. My friend's wife recently graduated with an Associates RN and said her hospital is paying for her continuing education, so no extra debt. I will owe about $8,000 when I graduate. A friend agreed to buy me out of a small partnership we had, and he still owes me $6,000 on that. We agreed that he would pay me back before my student loans started accumulating interest, which is 6 months after I graduate. So I basically am $2,000 in debt, which I would not consider much. I currently spend very little money on food, alcohol, entertainment. I prefer to spend my money on things I can see and keep, I hate expendables. I know ammo falls into that category. With a private range however, I won't have to worry if the brass I am scooping up belongs to me or someone else. School doesn't leave me any time for dating, so after graduating a GF would have a significant adverse affect my discretionary income.

If Jefferson's laws are too restrictive, I can go farther out. I don't want to be driving 30+ miles, but I am already driving 18-20 miles to get to Nick's when I do find the time to go shooting. I would be happy to plaster a company billboard on the entrance to the property if it cut down my expenses. Also, if I could afford to do it on my own, I would not be apposed to possibly opening it up to others. My days off from the hospital would likely leave me with enough free time to manage some extra paperwork. I just would not want to end up in a situation where I would have to shut down the operation, and be unable to afford the bills on my own. Letting other people in would obviously be a win/win. People from around my area would have a nice place to shoot, and I would be spending less money on a personal dream. In my opinion nothing ruins a dream more than stress. I would not want to have to run it like a business worrying about my bottom line. I would much rather it just be a side thing that helps subsidize my own interests, even if I still take an overall loss. I obviously do not intend for this project to be a source of income. I don't mind shooting around other people, I would just like the option to close it off to others when I wish for some private or to throw personal get togethers. I have never been or will be an everyday shooter, so it would kind of be a waste to not let other people use the area. I definitely need to talk to some people that have built ranges in the state so get an idea of costs. While everyone here has been helpful thus far, and given me things to think about, I still don't know if I am looking at $20k or $200k.

Just a couple of general notes.

Don't assume that your job will pay for 100% of continued education. My wife recieved her Associates in RN and most of her friends are paying for their bachelor's themselves. Also, you may be a little high on your salary. Most of people in her class started out around $20/hr (or low 40k/yr range). One good thing is that depending on where you go to work you'll probably have the option of picking up extra shifts or working nights to make more money. 4 or 5 hours of OT a week on a regular basis adds up quick.

Also, I completely understand what its like to be starting out and have big "wants". But you have a chance to set up yourself for financial success for the rest of your life. On the flip side, mistakes now can haunt you for a long time. I would focus first on paying off your debt. I'm pretty sure your student loans are already accumilating debt, the payment is just defferred until you've been out of school for 6 months. Don't count on your buddy to pay you back soon. I'd pay off the loans ASAP then start building an emergency fund. Get 3 months cash in a savings account and don't touch it. Also start saving for retirment now. There are lots of good resources out there to learn the basics but now is the time to start putting money into 401k, IRA, Roth IRA, etc.

Last, you keep saying you don't spend much on consumables. Keep in mind that you're only young and care free once. Others may disagree but to me the only thing that matters in the long run is making memories. Lifes short! Do some traveling now while you can before you have a wife and kids. Dream vacations, road trips, out of state hunting trips, etc.

You have the rest of your life to sink a lot of money into recreational land, don't rush into it.

Top Bottom