Want To Buy - Mossberg Brownie .22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking for a nice Mossberg Brownie, 4-shot, derringer-type .22rf pistol. Below is copy of an old ad for them, showing what they look like. Please advise serial number, condition, and price you're asking. Please don't ask for offers.

Thanks in advance. FFF

BROWNIEAD.jpg

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    YEP! LOVE THOSE ODDBALL .22RFs

I see that you have a fascination for odd pistols too.........

Welcome to the club.

Thanks Quckdraw22 for the welcome. Yes, you are CERTAINLY correct! Here are my collecting parameters: older, cheapie, 22rf, single-shot, made in USA or Canada. I'm also interested in, but not collecting, foreign made.

So, which forum do we oddball collectors meet in?

You familiar with the little S-M Sporter, ca.1953? I've looked for one for years. Finally got one last Fall... One of the MOST rare!!!

If there's a thread for handgun pics, I'll be sure to run it, along with some of my other oddballs. :thumbsup:

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Personally, I have always wanted an FP-45 Liberator.

I remember reading about them in an old war book when I was a kid, but they are super rare nowadays.

I don't have any RARE guns, but I've got a pretty old 1903 colt pocket pistol that im in love with.

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Many thanks, scubasteve. Been in contact with both. The guy in Florida has another one REALLY interested in and we're trying to get together on it.

This is the kind of help I need though to find these little critters.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So do I get that Woodsman in your avatar as a finders fee? I'll be cool about it and pay the shipping fees. Let me know where to send my FFL to.

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FYI - scubasteve

So do I get that Woodsman in your avatar as a finders fee? I'll be cool about it and pay the shipping fees. Let me know where to send my FFL to.

scubasteve, I'm ashamed of you! WHAT Woodsman in my avatar?

Check my screen name again, then tell me what brand that magazine-fed, single-shot .22rf in my avatar ACTUALLY is. Tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick - tick . . . . . . GIVE UP???

Look at my screen name one more time: Where do I live? What is my favorite gun? How do I feel about those guns?

The ONLY Woodsman I own is a beat-up oldie to fit a SPECIFIC, rare stock/holster (currently shown in the Holster Forum here) which keeps the BATF happy.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FloridaFIALAFan

NoPETA.jpg

Yes, there IS a place for all of God's creatures: right next to the potatoes and gravy.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Gun Control is NOT about guns! It's about CONTROL!​

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ABOUT THOSE LIBERATOR 45s

Personally, I have always wanted an FP-45 Liberator.

I remember reading about them in an old war book when I was a kid, but they are super rare nowadays.

I don't have any RARE guns, but I've got a pretty old 1903 colt pocket pistol that im in love with.

Quickdraw22, sorry to be late getting back to you. There are MANY of those old Lib 45s up for sale - most of the time! Unfortunately, the current owners of this little POS must think they're part of the Crown Jewels! (These atrocities were stamped out of sheet-steel in my home state by General Motors.)

Not long ago I saw the ABSOLUTE BEST of them offered for about $3,500 - as I recall. It had EVERYTHING associated with the little beast. It was in like new condition; still in original box; had original packets of ammo; perfect instruction sheet; etc., etc., ad nauseum! IF I were interested in them, THAT is the one I'd invest in. Regardless that they are crap, they're just gonna' keep going up in price due to the "romanticism" connected with their war record. Which WAS NOT real successful I might add...

About your Colt 1903 Pocket, that was one of John Dillinger's favorite weapons. (Another Hoosier lad.) And, my Dad packed one, .32acp, back in the 1920s and '30s while driving the back roads of Indiana and surrounding states as a salesman. I've still got it and it will go to our youngest daughter who is our only offspring with intense interest in family heirlooms, AND likes guns.

Hang in there. That old Colt is a good start. You don't really NEED rare guns, just guns you enjoy, rare or not.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Uuuhhhhh.....is it a Fiala? WTF good is a clip fed single shot?
    Post a bigger pic so I can see it.......please.
    About that "old" Woodsman you do have. I'll trade you my Iver Johnson Trailsman for the Woodsman. Same design, diff makers.

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ask And Ye Shall Receive - Photos, that is....

scubasteve, YOU GOT IT! IT'S A FIALA! And, you are correct about a mag-fed single-shot. However, Anthony Fiala, the gun's originator and co-designer believed a semi-auto weapon - like Colt's Woodsman - would not operate properly in the sub-zero climes he expected his clients to be exploring, or hunting, or surveying in - especially the Polar areas!

Fiala was a man of many stripes in his day. He was a noted politician; author; surveyor; explorer; soldier; adventurer, and general all-around outdoorsman. He even accompanied Teddy Roosevelt on at least one of that gun enthusiast's Amazon expeditions. Fiala's books on his Polar expeditions still sell for big bucks today, and are considered collector items.

Below is an enlarged copy of my avatar photo. It depicts one of the more scarce variations known of the Fiala pistol. This one has NO method for attaching a buttstock, and the barrel is pinned rather than have a barrel release bolt for the interchangeable barrels. An additional variation is that it has the ridged grips, rather than smooth walnut like the majority of Fialas found. It was offered for only a very brief time as an inexpensive way to own a high-class Fiala. The vintage, two-piece ammo boxes represent the era. Both are by REM/UMC, loaded with Lesmok powder.

The gun was offered in a fitted case which contained 3 barrels: 3" for carry; 7 1/2" for range and plinking, and 20" with wooden forestock PLUS a detachable walnut buttstock for hunting. Smoothbore barrels were also offered as an option. (I'm still searching for some of those!) I've also included a photo of one of my cased sets. Serial numbers on all barrels (and sometimes the buttstock) matched that number stamped on the front grip strap of the action. My pictured set IS all matching numbers. These cased sets sold for the princely sum of $35 way back when. Gun alone with 7 1/2" bbl was $10 to $12 depending on which owner was selling.

The gun company went bankrupt and operated under new owners at least 4 times. Judging from KNOWN surviving serial numbers, it's estimated that less than 9,000 guns were produced by the four different owners, so these guns may be found with any of the four names on them: Fiala; Schall & Co.; Columbia Arms Co., and Botwinik Bros.. Anthony continued operating his Fiala Outifits, Inc. of NYC even during those times the gun company was owned by others. Both his Fiala gun company, AND his Fiala outfitting company, used the Polar Bear in their trademarks.

Sorry to run on like this. When it comes to talking about Fialas, I suddenly develop Diarrhea of the Mouth! :)

As for the one Colt Pre-Woodsman I own, I NEED it in order to display my rare N-S stock/holster legally, according to the BATF. So, not intending to part with it any time soon. Probably will offer it WITH the stock/holster... eventually. I've long wanted an I.J. Trailsman, but it doesn't really fit in my collecting parameters I've gotta' start observing: older, cheapie, US or Canadian-made, .22rf, single-shot. Nearest thing to the Trailsman design I've got is an S-M Sportsman, ca.1953. VERY HARD to find gun! Probably less than 600 made!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Hope you enjoy the pics. Got LOTS!

FIALAFORAVATAR800WIDE.jpg

FIALACASEDSETSN1500008_edited.jpg

GUN CONTROL is NOT about guns! It's all about CONTROL!

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOTS OF OLD .22rf SINGLE-SHOT PISTOLS

scubasteve, back in the early 1900s there were a number of gun makers offering single-shot .22rf pistols, both here and abroad. However, the Fiala is the ONLY magazine-fed single shot, to my knowledge. There may be others I'm unaware of...

Of the US-made brands, Fiala had a lot of look-alikes. The Hartford Arms single-shot was one, probably because it was designed by the same guy who helped Anthony design the Fiala Model 1920.

Hartford Arms developed that single-shot into their Model 1925 semi-auto .22rf. That's when Hi-Standard stepped in and bought the Hartford Arms Co.. They continued that semi-auto, with some later improvements, and called it their Model B.

Below is my Family Portrait of this group which I've obtained. Left to right, they are: Fiala Model 1920; Hi-Standard Model B (early); Hartford Arms Model 1925, and Hartford Arms S-S. (Sorry, they're NOT in chronological order...)

(Another "look-alike" you could add in here is the Colt Woodsman, of course. But, it's NO relation to the above group.)

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

FIALAFAMILAPORTRAIT.jpg

Gun Control is NOT about guns! It's all about CONTROL!

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Quickdraw22, sorry to be late getting back to you. There are MANY of those old Lib 45s up for sale - most of the time! Unfortunately, the current owners of this little POS must think they're part of the Crown Jewels! (These atrocities were stamped out of sheet-steel in my home state by General Motors.)

Not long ago I saw the ABSOLUTE BEST of them offered for about $3,500 - as I recall. It had EVERYTHING associated with the little beast. It was in like new condition; still in original box; had original packets of ammo; perfect instruction sheet; etc., etc., ad nauseum! IF I were interested in them, THAT is the one I'd invest in. Regardless that they are crap, they're just gonna' keep going up in price due to the "romanticism" connected with their war record. Which WAS NOT real successful I might add...

About your Colt 1903 Pocket, that was one of John Dillinger's favorite weapons. (Another Hoosier lad.) And, my Dad packed one, .32acp, back in the 1920s and '30s while driving the back roads of Indiana and surrounding states as a salesman. I've still got it and it will go to our youngest daughter who is our only offspring with intense interest in family heirlooms, AND likes guns.

Hang in there. That old Colt is a good start. You don't really NEED rare guns, just guns you enjoy, rare or not.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

I bought that Colt off of a friend for $65, and I knew I got a hell of a deal on it. After reading about it, I learned that I had the earliest models that looks to be made around 1907.

I like it alot, because it was one of Bonnie's (from Bonnie and Clyde) favorite concealed carry pistols. It's also WAY ahead of his time having a grip safety, and concealed hammer.

I'm just happy shooting my little Ruger .22, and its a hell of a lot cheaper than shooting that .32!!

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    More Libs

Quickdraw22 I was checking out the online gun auctions last night. Found TWO more libs for sale. Both over $2,000 each. Must be half a dozen or more for sale right now!

Remember, they'll probably never go DOWN in price!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Quickdraw22 I was checking out the online gun auctions last night. Found TWO more libs for sale. Both over $2,000 each. Must be half a dozen or more for sale right now!

Remember, they'll probably never go DOWN in price!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Haha, as much as I would LOVE to own one of those, I cannot justify spending 2 grand on a pistol that I will never shoot. Hell, I'm only 19!! That much money could buy a used car, or 3 semesters of college!!

If you would like to donate some money to the broke college kid fund, then I would be more than happy to buy a uber cool LIB. ;)

I'm awaiting donations..........

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    College For 2 Grand?

WHERE did you find 3 semesters of college for $2,000??? Our daughter just graduated last year from Embry Riddel Aeronautical University here in Daytona. She lived with us while attending. Any idea what that set us back?

So you can blame her for me not being able to donate to YOUR college fund. Important thing about her job, as an Aerospace Engineer for NASA she'll be able to look after her Mom and I when we need caring for in our later years. We're caretaking her 93-year-old grandma now. Believe me, it's a dirty, full-time job!

By the way, you do understand, that probably within 2 years those Libs will double in price!

Now you understand why I'm buying the cheapies of the gun world... ;)

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    WHERE did you find 3 semesters of college for $2,000??? Our daughter just graduated last year from Embry Riddel Aeronautical University here in Daytona. She lived with us while attending. Any idea what that set us back?

So you can blame her for me not being able to donate to YOUR college fund. Important thing about her job, as an Aerospace Engineer for NASA she'll be able to look after her Mom and I when we need caring for in our later years. We're caretaking her 93-year-old grandma now. Believe me, it's a dirty, full-time job!

By the way, you do understand, that probably within 2 years those Libs will double in price!

Now you understand why I'm buying the cheapies of the gun world... ;)

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Yeah.... that was the dilemma that I was faced with a few months ago. I could have either gone to LSU or Louisiana Tech, but I decided to go to McNeese State, which is located in Lake Charles. Luckily, I get along awesome with my parents, and they are letting me live at home for as long as I want to.

That sucks for you! Luckily, I got TOPS, and tuition after all the scholarships and such runs me around $300 bucks without books. Add about 400 for books. Besides, I could have gone to LSU and gotten my Mechanical Engineering degree - paid 3X as much, and worked twice as hard for that little piece of paper at the end of 4 years.

So......... Aeronautical Engineer?? Is she single?? :D:D

I'm tall, somewhat tan, and moderately attractive. Tell her I drive a Jeep, that usually reels them in. :cool:

Just ribbing ya. How are the gun laws over there in Florida?? Are they as relaxed as the ones in Louisiana??

Dave

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Busy, Busy, Busy...

Yep, she's single, Quickdraw22. Never married so no "motional baggage." Very picky about her men. But I'm afraid she's a bit old for you. She'd already had one career before coming to live with us in her 30s. She was a Pharmacist's Assistant and it just wasn't working out for her.

You need to be looking for a gal in her late teen, early 20s - or OLD and rich! She ain't rich yet but she's sure on her way with this NASA job.

Did you see my old, Classic Mazda Miata M Edition I'm selling? It's in the non-gun classifieds here. Had two guys from New Orleans wanting it within an hour of posting it. One of 'em is flying down Friday to pick it up and drive it home.

You LA guys are fast!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Yep, she's single, Quickdraw22. Never married so no "motional baggage." Very picky about her men. But I'm afraid she's a bit old for you. She'd already had one career before coming to live with us in her 30s. She was a Pharmacist's Assistant and it just wasn't working out for her.

You need to be looking for a gal in her late teen, early 20s - or OLD and rich! She ain't rich yet but she's sure on her way with this NASA job.

Did you see my old, Classic Mazda Miata M Edition I'm selling? It's in the non-gun classifieds here. Had two guys from New Orleans wanting it within an hour of posting it. One of 'em is flying down Friday to pick it up and drive it home.

You LA guys are fast!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

Haha, I was just seeing what your reaction would be. I'm actually dating a 22 year old that moved to Houston a few months ago to get her doctorate in Physical Therapy. Once she gets done with that, I'm golden.

Yep, I did see your Miata. "Garage door jumped out at me" my ass. You were probably flying down some twisty country roads and a possum or raccoon jumped out to play chicken with your bumper. Atleast thats what I HOPE you were doing. You should atleast blame it on your wife or something!!! Come on now, thats rule #1 of the guy's handbook - We are perfect drivers - Anything that is wrong with a vehicle was caused by a female. Period.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom