Wanting to become instructor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • symposium

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Does anyone have any advice or info that would help me in my goal of becoming a fire arms safety instructor. Also any employing agencies around the capital city area would be useful as well.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Your first step would be taking an NRA instructor course or two; however, that hardly qualifies you to be an instructor. You will also ned to spend a lot of time researching relevant legal issues and overall awareness of CHP inssues and news stories.

You will need a really nice range hat also. ;)

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    You will also ned to spend a lot of time researching relevant legal issues and overall awareness of CHP inssues and news stories.
    I cannot over emphasize this part of it. I as well as many other instructors feel that the NRA basic pistol class alone does not make a good CHP class. It will be up to you as an instructor to research, create and offer a competent class that will probably never stop getting updated.

sraiford

Pro Castle Law
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Baton Rouge and Mobile
    I cannot over emphasize this part of it. I as well as many other instructors feel that the NRA basic pistol class alone does not make a good CHP class. It will be up to you as an instructor to research, create and offer a competent class that will probably never stop getting updated.

I have researched the same issues. Luckily for me the Great State of Alabama doesn't require a concealed carry class, just a $20 and a one page application :boink: Cha Ching....

But I have looked into taking the NRA Instructor courses and thought of contacting the surrounding ranges in my area to offer the services. I think many people need and want the education and the range owners can use it to gather customers.

And as far as BearIT says, yes the CHP class should always be getting updated. Best practices, legality issues, everthing....Its called evolution.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    What kind of Firearms Instructor? What is your skill base? Do you have any instructor training or experience?

I didn't even get into that. There are a lot of peole that have a ton of knowledge and/or experience, yet they lack the skills or ability to convey that to others in a way they can understand and apply.

There is a lot more to instructing or teaching any subject matter thansimply regurgitating information you were taught from someone else. That is why personal experience and advanced knowledge or education beyond the level being taught is a requisite thing.

This is why all major military and law enforcement academies rquire some kind of instructor developmental training in addition to instructor level training of a particular subject matter. I have sat in fron of several very knowledgeable individuals who were the absolute worst instructors. I have also seen some people pick up a turnover binder and convey the information like they had been doing it for years.

Being a quality ionstructor is in part about personality and inate ability. Anyone can speak froma powerpoint or flip chart, but to really get through to that extra 10% takes experience and a certain panuche that keeps the students attention.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

shhhh-smiley.png

I think I mean panache, ...... LOL

Funny what one little letter will do.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I never understood how you old school Rangers kept your hatchets sharp, your powder dry, and still got enough sleep to be up bright and early waiting on the French and Indians to attack.:)

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Does anyone have any advice or info that would help me in my goal of becoming a fire arms safety instructor. Also any employing agencies around the capital city area would be useful as well.

At one time, I actually wanted to teach Basic Handgun and Hunter's Safety to the deaf population, being I'm deaf myself. However, after much research, I discovered that Louisiana does not have a large deaf population. And most of those that are deaf are too stupid to be taught.

symposium

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    So the basic feedback I'm getting from everyone is to get what certs I can from the various high profile agencies, the more related to the teaching material the better, and come up with a course. Sounds pretty cut and dry, what about employing agencies/ contracting angencies?

Top Bottom