Water lines leaking..hose?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I ran some 1" pvc under my home for a front and back outside faucets. I've changed one particular "T" 4 time, and it still leaks! This is not counting multiple other collars and elbows that leak. Ive tried the blue Rain or Shine glue after using cleaner the past two times. No idea why they keep leaking. Is it a stpid idea to run hose under the home in place of the PVC? Im ready to skirt the home, but scared now with how many leaks Ive been having!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    Gluejoints weren't meant to handle pressureof fresh water line. Is there alt of water pressure where you live?

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Is the pipe grey or white?? I think there is a different glue for each one or a glue that does both where some glues are meant for one or the other. Are you using the primer? Did you scuff up the mating faces? With standard water pressure you shouldn't have any leaks--I'm thinking its 30 lbs IIRC.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Gluejoints weren't meant to handle pressureof fresh water line. Is there alt of water pressure where you live?
    :eh:

Glued PVC fresh water lines have been around for years.
    You need to use a cleaner and primer or cleaner primer combo.
    And make sure you get the glue all the way around the pipe, then hold it on for 10-20 seconds.
    And don't twist the joint once it has been on for more than 3-5 seconds.
    PVC glue dries fast.

PEX is better than pvc, but you will need a set of PEX crimpers to make the connections.
    PEX is flexible so you only have connections at Ts and at each end. Less joint = less places for leaks.
    You can get some PEX supplies at big box home improvement stores, but a plumbing supply house will have a better selection.
    http://www.pexinfo.com/

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Is the pipe grey or white?? I think there is a different glue for each one or a glue that does both where some glues are meant for one or the other. Are you using the primer? Did you scuff up the mating faces? With standard water pressure you shouldn't have any leaks--I'm thinking its 30 lbs IIRC.

And this^

Grey is for electrical conduit, white is for cold water.
    CPVC is for hot water.

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    You need to either use copper with solder joints (expensive) or polyethylene pipe and fitting for it. Ask what they use in new homes at hardware store, it is gray.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I have the white pvc, with pvc glue, and a cleaner/primer. This is the second kind of glue I try. I put as much glue as it holds without coming off, and slide it on, then turn it slightly. I guess I should have used grey?

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    :eh:

Glued PVC fresh water lines have been around for years.
    You need to use a cleaner and primer or cleaner primer combo.
    And make sure you get the glue all the way around the pipe, then hold it on for 10-20 seconds.
    And don't twist the joint once it has been on for more than 3-5 seconds.
    PVC glue dries fast.

PEX is better than pvc, but you will need a set of PEX crimpers to make the connections.
    PEX is flexible so you only have connections at Ts and at each end. Less joint = less places for leaks.
    You can get some PEX supplies at big box home improvement stores, but a plumbing supply house will have a better selection.
    http://www.pexinfo.com/

Sun and pex dont mix.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

CarronJ

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Mandeville, LA
    Not sure what the deal may be. Hopefully you can get it solved. I just got done helping my dad build a 1200 sq ft camp and used PVC and cpvc throughout. Had one leak in the six months it was pressurized with the walls open. And that leak was at a threaded joint for a valve. Not exactly sure why it wouldn't hold up to the pressure because it's used for my whole well and pump at my house, it generates 55 psi and vibrates like crazy. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    Ive tried the blue Rain or Shine glue after using cleaner the past two times.

If you don't use primer it is not going to hold. Let me tell you what works for me after lots of leaks after trying to cut corners and hurry up.
    With white Schedule 40 PVC. Use a good cleaner liberally on the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting. Let it dry and then apply a
    good primer, usually purple, to the end of the pipe well past where it will go into the fitting. Then apply primer to inside of the fitting. Let it dry.
    Apply a layer of PVC glue to the end of the pipe and to the inside of the fitting. Push the two together giving a 1/4 twist as soon as the two are fully seated.
    Maintain the pressure needed to seat the two pieces for 10 seconds. Wait two hours before turning the water back on. Caveats: Be sure every thing is dry and
    temperature above 60 degrees. YMMV

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    U want to prime the fitting until u can feel the viscosity break down on the pipe and fitting.cleaner will repel the glue.guys on another job site found that put the hard way.u can literally fuse a pipe together with just primer,learned that the hard way as a helper.

When u prime the fitting it makes the PVC soft and simply put makes small scratches in the pipe and fitting.u can peel the pipe with your fingernail when it gets soft.

Don't use cleaner.prime it really well until soft apply glue while primer is still wet.i just finished up a overhead underground with no leaks Doing it just like that.prob over 300 glue joints no leaks.

1- cut pipe square and debur it
    2-prime pipe and fitting until soft,u can feel the difference in the brush when it gets right
    3-glue pipe and fitting pushing straight in,once pipe is seated into fitting give it a quarter turn

anakha

ljp#6749
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    monroe
    Throw the "cleaner" out. Prime it well with either purple or clear(they work the same one is just cleaner looking and the other you can see what has been primed. Apply glue liberally. Twisting the joint isn't absolutely necessary but won't hurt. Let stand for 15 minutes or so before pressurizing.

I'm a journeyman plumber.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I did not know primer and cleaner was different.. Im pretty sure I have the cleaner (very cold feeling when touched)? I will def go get some primer! Thanks fellas

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I did not know primer and cleaner was different.. Im pretty sure I have the cleaner (very cold feeling when touched)? I will def go get some primer! Thanks fellas

If this is the case you May want to cut your joints out and re-do the job. Think of it as insurance.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    PVC will freeze and burst when it freezes, spend a few dollars and do it 1 time with PEX
    The crimp tool is expensive but some larger hardware stores rent them.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    PVC will freeze and burst when it freezes, spend a few dollars and do it 1 time with PEX
    The crimp tool is expensive but some larger hardware stores rent them.

If it is under a raised home a sunlight can get to it, the pex will not hold.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Yuo HAVE to be doing something wrong. I would put money that I have more water pressure than 99$ of the state (8" main in front yard at the bottom of a hill). Kitchen faucets and toilet tank valves dont get a very long life here and I refuse to let them put a regulator on my line, but none of my pvc has ever leaked (some joints blew apart when I didnt allow them time to dry, but never a problem if properly cured). There is well over 500' of pvc in my ground not counting the 400' of line going to the house itself (I like faucets convenient where ever I may be in the yard and shop).
    Are you using old glue that is partly gelled? Thin wall pipe? Not enough glue?

Top Bottom