Weed eater suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Which 2 stroke weed eater would be the most reliable and easiest to start on the market. Going to get a new one and I'm tired of the hard to start and poor running box store brands. Any advice will be appreciated.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You're going to get a dozen different recommendations . I've had had good luck with Stihl and RedMax . I saw a 4 stroke Honda at the mower shop yesterday . Pricey but probably a good machine .

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Stihl all day long. It is what we use at our shop for yard maintenance and they are abused by the workers yet still go strong all the time.

At home we use a Troy built 4-cycle. We got it to try because it was on sale and were trying to get away from mixed gas.
    It has held up for 4 years now, and cranks within 3-4 pulls every time. It also came with a pole saw head. (Combo- one trimmer head and one saw head) it has worked great when we needed it as well. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. This is for residential use though.

If you have a lot of land or heavy weed I would go stihl or husqvarna all day.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Another vote for the Stihl.

I bought mine two seasons ago based on recommendations here on the board and word of mouth locally from someone who owns a large lawn service. That and having a dealer locally who is also an authorized warranty service center in case I ever need repairs. Couldn't be more satisfied.

Last edited:

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Have a stihl and Echo, Echo better product IMO. Neighbor just got the 4 stroke Husqvarna, its very nice but not at $400

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I went with Tanaka a few yrs ago and highly recommend them. Nothing worse than having family members "earning their keep" by doing the yard work, and you have to go and get the blower, trimmer, et al started cuz they cannot.
    They have both been "one pull, maybe a second pull" EVERY time.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Ah I left out echo, my mistake.
    You can't go wrong with echo, stihl or a husqvarna. There is a reason the pros use them. I do believe the stihl engine size is larger than the echo regarding similiar models.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Stihl has a pretty vast dealer network , but on the downside my Stihl has been down for almost two months due to a backordered throttle cable . I had to go buy a new machine to be able to keep up with my property . :eek3:

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    Four years of owning a Stihl and it cranks up like the day i bought it. I can't compare it directly to any of the above recommendations, but it beats both the Craftsman and Troybuilt I owned before. Each made it three years but both had issues from day one.

One note though, I bought the lowest priced straight shaft model, FS55R I believe. While I will never speak a negative word on it's performance and quality, your cutting line choice has a HUGE impact on your comfort. The wrong line will vibrate your back out of alignment. I have used a commercial sized model before and it was much smoother than mine.

Can't go wrong with Stihl.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I have used Echo weed trimmers/blowers for the past 15+ years with great success. If you maintain them they will last and be dependable. My son has a Husquavarna and I like it. I used it a couple of times just to check it out. It is a beast.

peak98

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    My Robin is 10 years and still going strong, but I don't think they're made anymore. My weedeater gets ~2hrs of use per week on my property. My next one will be either the Stihl or Shindaiwa. I have used the Shihl powerhead that has different attachments (blower,edger,weedeater, etc), it was the cat's azz in my opinion.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I've been very satisfied for years with my ECHO string trimmers and chainsaws. Like my STIHL chainsaw too. Both brands are reliable and easy to operate. If maintained with good fuel and lubricants, your equipment frustration will likely be over.

Top Bottom