Welcome to Obamanet 2.0

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    This is just insane. As posted above, free Internet is available. The fooking library! If they can't afford dial up, they probably don't have a computer, so we need to subsidize that as well? What about single malt Scotch? Dat **** ain't cheap. The poor are missing a cultural experience. We need to get them a luxury car, some single malt, a computer, house, food, heck why not an additional income.

Do thees idots not know what true poverty is? This kid need food and help. I bet he would not give a flying F about the internet if you fed him. Well, my link did not work, but picture starving child eating a little food off the ground..

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    This is just insane. As posted above, free Internet is available. The fooking library! If they can't afford dial up, they probably don't have a computer, so we need to subsidize that as well? What about single malt Scotch? Dat **** ain't cheap. The poor are missing a cultural experience. We need to get them a luxury car, some single malt, a computer, house, food, heck why not an additional income.

Do thees idots not know what true poverty is? This kid need food and help. I bet he would not give a flying F about the internet if you fed him. Well, my link did not work, but picture starving child eating a little food off the ground..

I genuinely believe that liberals have never traveled. Spend some time in south america and you'll see how good we have it. To keep things in perspective: in the USA, our "poor" people are OBESE. Just let that sink in. I do acknowledge that you can't get a job without a phone, but broadband internet?? If your job requires it, either your employer is paying for it or you are specialized (and earning) enough to not sweat 50.00 a month for it.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Now, I might not have much of a problem providing them with a smart phone that can only access the interwebs via wireless only, no cell internet. That might be a tool to be used.

Also think the browsing history should be monitored. Checking email, reading the news, applying for jobs, a little game playing is great. But, if you ain't using it for good, it goes away.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Now, I might not have much of a problem providing them with a smart phone that can only access the interwebs via wireless only, no cell internet. That might be a tool to be used.

Also think the browsing history should be monitored. Checking email, reading the news, applying for jobs, a little game playing is great. But, if you ain't using it for good, it goes away.

thats a very slippery slope.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    This system was implemented by Ronald Reagan to subsidize telephones because "you cant get a job without a phone". So, explain to me how this relates. Someone ...please.

Have you done a job search lately? I think even McDonalds requires you to apply online these days. That said there is the library, state job centers typicaly have PCs people can use (never been in on in LA to confirm, but both MS and CO have them). There's always wifi at every other coffee shop, fast food place, gas station, hospital, etc... to find something to use.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Have you done a job search lately? I think even McDonalds requires you to apply online these days. That said there is the library, state job centers typicaly have PCs people can use (never been in on in LA to confirm, but both MS and CO have them). There's always wifi at every other coffee shop, fast food place, gas station, hospital, etc... to find something to use.

Maybe they are trying to do some weeding? Hire the ones that will go out of their way to find a way to apply online? You know, show a little initiative? Free internet at the library.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA

McDonalds usually have computers at the store for potential applicants to apply.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler announced Thursday a plan to ensure even the poorest Americans have broadband internet. Reiterating that the high speed internet is a public good, the FCC will be making changes to an existing program which subsidizes telephone landlines.

That's right, the poor are now "entitled" to have broadband internet.

My question is: The only people that truly NEED broadband access are those that use it for work. Presuming they are self employed (because otherwise the company would pay for it...), they should have a technical expertise of some sort, which should more than cover the expense. Moreover, it would be tax deductible as a business expenses.

This system was implemented by Ronald Reagan to subsidize telephones because "you cant get a job without a phone". So, explain to me how this relates. Someone ...please.

This isn't exactly correct. Ronald Reagan didn't implement this. It was part of the communications act of 1934 which was intended to wire rural areas for telephone service. The phone company couldn't justify extending phone service to those areas where there are few customers. The plan helped pay for the network, not free phone service. When the phone company was broken up in 1984, that legislation created a the 'Lifeline' program which subsidized phone service for low income people. It's currently set at $9.25 per month.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom