Well it looks like we just got screwed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flemgunner

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    lafayette
    I LIKE THIS PART !:thumbsup:

NFA firearm or is listed as the transferee on an application to transfer an NFA firearm.* (emphasis added). Accordingly, it would not apply to existing entities, which have already had NFA firearms approved to that entity. This was also confirmed by Attorney Robert Merting during his call with ATF Attorney Brenda Friend (the same individual all comments are to be directed to). He states, *Ms. Friend specifically confirmed that the rule would not be retroactive and those transactions already approved will stand.*

This right here rocks!

met7881

Former Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    mandeville,La.
    Start contacting reps about removing supressors from the 1934 NFA act. This would eliminate "tax" and need for trusts and CLEO signoff. Treat sale as a firearm sale using NICs check. This is probably the main purchase being done . How many pre-1986 full autos are available? If they are are there expensive. Is there a big market for short barreled rifles?

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    *Ms. Friend specifically confirmed that the rule would not be retroactive and those transactions already approved will stand.*

Already approved!! I won't be approved in 90 days. So I wonder if i'll be getting denied. Hopefully they take in any paper work already turned into them. Sucks. Guess ill have to remove someone from my trust that lives in Orleans parish. What about my beneficiary, or successor trustee? Do I go get an 8 year old printed??. I'm fairly certain he doesn't have a record yet..

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell
    Already approved!! I won't be approved in 90 days. So I wonder if i'll be getting denied. Hopefully they take in any paper work already turned into them. Sucks. Guess ill have to remove someone from my trust that lives in Orleans parish. What about my beneficiary, or successor trustee? Do I go get an 8 year old printed??. I'm fairly certain he doesn't have a record yet..

UPDATE: Attorney Merting has responded, *Josh, During my conversation with Brenda she did acknowledge that pending applications would be processed, but she could not say what date would be pending. (i.e. deposit in the mail, receipt at ATF, or cashing of the tax check.) She suggested that *normally* final rules are announced 30 days ahead of time.*

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Start contacting reps about removing supressors from the 1934 NFA act. This would eliminate "tax" and need for trusts and CLEO signoff. Treat sale as a firearm sale using NICs check. This is probably the main purchase being done . How many pre-1986 full autos are available? If they are are there expensive. Is there a big market for short barreled rifles?

Number of NFA Forms Processed by Fiscal Year
    Fiscal Year Forms Processed
    2012 137,649
    2011 105,373
    2010 91,949
    2009 86,753
    2008 72,808

The volunteer-only information about who's buying what, NFAtracker.com shows http://www.nfatracker.com/reports.aspx shows 60% suppressors, 30% SBRs.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    It would probably take someone suing. Also that's theory, the 2nd amendment says shall not be infringed and look where we are.

^^ This.

I also have NO CLUE how a short-barreled rifle or a silencer (which we all know doesn't actually completely SILENCE a firearm, just takes the sound down which seems SAFER for everyone involved) is even applicable to the 2nd amendment in the first place. So you can have the most dangerous part of the amendment (the firearm), but not the part that makes it safer to use (the can)??!!

Meanwhile it's UNSAFE to install and engineer a system that operates above 90 dB sound level if at all possible. First thing to do is REDUCE the sound level, Second thing is to require the use of PPE and inform / train personnel in the areas working.

But for firearms hell the HIGHEST dB is a REQUIREMENT unless all the hoopla as stated in this email chain is required.

This is one of those areas where the government is REALLY reaching.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Here's a link to some form letters we can start sending out.

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/09/national-firearms-act-day-of-reckoning/#axzz2dpzAGXdV

Everyone needs to get on the horn about this. If we can't stop it from going through, we need a State law to force CLEO to sign if the person isn't prohibited. With our State politicians, I would bring up the recent amendment to the LA constitution and that if CLEO refuses to sign we should be able to bring suit. I mean they just reversed the ruling on felons in possession of firearms so this should be a no brainer. Bottom line we need to start writing and calling.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Here's a link to some form letters we can start sending out.

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/09/national-firearms-act-day-of-reckoning/#axzz2dpzAGXdV

Everyone needs to get on the horn about this. If we can't stop it from going through, we need a State law to force CLEO to sign if the person isn't prohibited. With our State politicians, I would bring up the recent amendment to the LA constitution and that if CLEO refuses to sign we should be able to bring suit. I mean they just reversed the ruling on felons in possession of firearms so this should be a no brainer. Bottom line we need to start writing and calling.

What? They reversed LRS 14:95.E?

JR1572

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I was thinking; Just when we get rid of some extra state paperwork for our toys (or tools, depending on what you use it for), the federal government has to go pull this crap.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just got out of a meeting with State Senator Cortez. He seemed willing to help so anyone in Lafayette call and write him to ask for his support in getting a state law to require the CLEO to sign the forms provided the person isn't prohibited.

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I also contacted Rep. Barras and here was his response.

Mr. Fleming,
    Thanks for your message. As a supporter of what we’ve done in the State of Louisiana regarding the rights of gun owners, I am thankful for folks like you that keep up with the changing laws at the Federal level. Your description of the issue here is very informative and I understand your concerns. I will be with Congressman Charles Boustany at a meeting tonight and would like to share your thoughts with him. Any commentary that we can lend to the ATF from the public can be helpful. I will share the Congressman’s thoughts with you and let you know if he suggests any additional action. Rep. Taylor Barras

Everyone needs to write and call the more they hear from us the better.

Top Bottom