What are my options with mounting.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • REDLINE83

AURIBUS TENERE LUPUM
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 9, 2015
    Northshore
    So what are my best options with this configuration. I seem to have the best eye relief (3.5-4 in) with the scope in its current configuration. However, its tight to grab the charging handle. I assume this is the norm, but some use either higher scope rings or move it further out (latter isn't really the best option). Any and all opinions are appreciated. CTAR.jpg

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The scope looks like it's mounted a bit far to the rear to me, but if that's non-negotiable and you need a work-around, I would not go with taller rings. You are already about 2.5" above bore if I had to guess.

Maybe look into a CH with a longer latch. I'm assuming that you aren't trying to do the 2-finger-overhead-claw-pull on the CH, but rather are pulling with your left hand, on the left side of the CH.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The scope looks like it's mounted a bit far to the rear to me, but if that's non-negotiable and you need a work-around, I would not go with taller rings. You are already about 2.5" above bore if I had to guess.

Maybe look into a CH with a longer latch. I'm assuming that you aren't trying to do the 2-finger-overhead-claw-pull on the CH, but rather are pulling with your left hand, on the left side of the CH.

+1

The scope seems awfully close to the rear of the receiver. If that's where you like it, then you should buy an extended latch, like the Brownells Paratrooper charging handle.

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I also agree it looks too far rearward.

How I mount scopes.

For Fixed Stocks: find your comfortable eye-relief while standing or sitting on a bench position and then push the scope 1" forward. This will make you reach when you stand or sit, but when you go prone you will have the correct eye relief. Lots of people keep them far back like you do only to find that they can't shoot from the prone position because you can't get away from the scope.

For adjustable stocks: I set my stock in a little on the rear (shorter length of pull) and set the scope to a comfortable position while on the bench and then if I need to shoot prone I pull the stock out all the way to get the correct eye relief.

And an extended charging latch is exactly what you need.

Crews

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2015
    Youngsville
    I like to set all my scopes up with the proper eye relief for shooting nose to charging handle. That way I always have the same setup no matter where the stock happens to be. A cantilever mount, such as a Bobro, works great for that kind of thing, and is a very popular set up.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    Mech armor defense. Join up with us over a 308ar.com and there is some pretty badass group buys for a drop in trigger kit and the charging handles. I have bith on my ar10 and love em.

trigger643

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Kingwood
    For my AR-10 Super SASS I went with the GG&G QD mount. I found it to have the appropriate height and it's ability to lock back into zero is quite good. The Armalite came with a gas buster charging handle, which was a good thing, as I do about 90% of my shooting suppressed and prone so I'm up on the gun. The Mk4 has excellent eye relief as well.

You're scope looks a little too far set back, but it's all about personal preference. I've had no trouble reaching the charging handle..

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom