What are you best at? vs What do you do?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Eye opening conversation this morning which has left me in a spot to hire 3-4 people here at work. Thinking about who I'd like to hire has me thinking I want someone who's in no way qualified to do the work. The last five I've hired have been unbelievably qualified on paper, but have all been worthless in the real world. I'd take two guys at this point who have no idea what the work is all about, but that care deeply about doing the best job they can. I can teach the gear and the procedures, I can't seem to buy dedication and/or pride in your performance.

Curious what everyone here is good at, what skills do you have that make you unique and at which you're better than most? Also, what do you do for a living. Do the two things match up at all?

Me, I've had several jobs in several industries. I think this has given me enough knowledge to be a problem solver. I know enough about a lot of things to do pretty much anything for gainful employment, but on paper I'm probably not an expert on any one thing. Just enough to be dangerous :) I'm most qualified to be a gas/diesel mechanic and personal trainer. My current job is managing an underwater electronics rental company. Who'd a thunk?

g

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Eye opening conversation this morning which has left me in a spot to hire 3-4 people here at work. Thinking about who I'd like to hire has me thinking I want someone who's in no way qualified to do the work. The last five I've hired have been unbelievably qualified on paper, but have all been worthless in the real world. I'd take two guys at this point who have no idea what the work is all about, but that care deeply about doing the best job they can. I can teach the gear and the procedures, I can't seem to buy dedication and/or pride in your performance.

Curious what everyone here is good at, what skills do you have that make you unique and at which you're better than most? Also, what do you do for a living. Do the two things match up at all?

Me, I've had several jobs in several industries. I think this has given me enough knowledge to be a problem solver. I know enough about a lot of things to do pretty much anything for gainful employment, but on paper I'm probably not an expert on any one thing. Just enough to be dangerous :) I'm most qualified to be a gas/diesel mechanic and personal trainer. My current job is managing an underwater electronics rental company. Who'd a thunk?

g

Supposedly I am a solid critical thinker. (based on objective test data, not opinion, thank god!)

I am good at thinking outside the box, creative solutions, deductive reasoning, etc.

I am decent with my hands (steady, good manual dexterity, but not the greatest coordination).

I have 20/10 vision.

I work out religiously and try to maintain 8-12% body-fat at around 180#.

I work in healthcare. I am a nurse on a critical care floor. I think my abilities are well matched to my job.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Under water electronics rental comapany that sounds intresting.
    Im best at touble shooting, problem solving, time management and efficiency. Been servicing rental equipment 24hr call since I was 19 in the oilfield. 14 years of 24hr call and have gotten pretty effecient by doing the best job i can and doing it before it "needs" to be done. This has helped me spend countless hours "on call" spending time with the family instead of on a job. People always say 24hr call and salary = getting screwed. I say you "your doing it wrong"!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's all about mentality. Skills can always be learned, but things like common sense, the ability to problem solve, the desire to work hard and put out good work, and the intelligence to absorb information are much more important. I know tons of people with master's degrees that are dysfunctional morons.

I worked in an office environment for 7 years (civilian Coast Guard employee), I started as an intern knowing little about computers and by the time I left I was doing things people around me were being paid $70K+ to do but couldn't figure out. I became the web and intranet developer, Access database developer, office manager, had IT guys calling me daily for help, and was brought onto every new project on general principle. Pretty fun being a punk ass "kid" sitting at a table full of Admirals and Captains asking me what we should do.

Eventually I got a little stir crazy and tired of being way underpaid, so I decided to move on. The obvious next step would have been a job in computers, but what fun would that be?! I went the other direction, and decided to try woodworking. I've always liked working with my hands, and after Katrina the demand was insane. Started working at a mill shop here in NOLA having never touched a table saw, and within two years was the lead craftsman and shop manager. I do enjoy it to an extent, and find it much more gratifying than sitting at a desk all day, but I definitely don't love it. It's a job, and I'll continue to do the best work I'm capable of, but when I go home at night the LAST thing I think about is woodworking. I guess you could say it's what I'm "best at", but I'd much rather be working on guns!

They say "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" but I find a more realistic statement is "do what you love and you won't love it anymore". So I'll keep guns as a hobby for the foreseeable future.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn with the above, just agreeing that the strongest attributes in a person are things that can't be put on paper. And it's hard to convey "Given the chance, I'll be a more valuable asset than any of the overpaid mouth-breathers you currently have wandering your halls" without sounding like an *******. :D

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Engineer. I hate the desk time and paper-pushing. Chemical Engineer by education, which is very desk intensive...after a few years I switched to a mechanical role to (hopefully) learn welding and get more hands-on. Still more desk time than I'd like.

Ideally I'd work outside with my hands all day, but I can't take a pay cut. One of my favorite hobbies is buiding and modifying my little home brewery...putting something together and improving it is even more rewarding to me than brewing and drinking the beer!

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Engineer. I hate the desk time and paper-pushing. Chemical Engineer by education, which is very desk intensive...after a few years I switched to a mechanical role to (hopefully) learn welding and get more hands-on. Still more desk time than I'd like.

Ideally I'd work outside with my hands all day, but I can't take a pay cut. One of my favorite hobbies is buiding and modifying my little home brewery...putting something together and improving it is even more rewarding to me than brewing and drinking the beer!

I hear ya, I broke my back 4 years ago so I'm not as active as I used to be, but the worst thing that's ever happened to me is sitting behind a damn desk 8-16 hrs a day :( Used to be ripped and lean, now I'm in shape. Round is a shape isn't it? Part of my problem is also that I make too much here to ever leave. I'm next in line to run this office, but it's so frustrating having employees that just don't care, in a customer service based industry, everything falls on me, the only guy who cares. If I ever do get the hnic job, I may be the only one left once the axe stops swinging, lol. I've considered moving back home to Seattle, but the cost of living calculator says I'd have to make 138k/yr to live how I do here. Trying to calculate how much $ relates to happiness.

g

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    This is an interesting topic to me. I'm a restaurant manager/wine sommelier. I'm very good at what I do, but I'm not sure I want to do it forever. I'm a good critical thinker and a hard worker and I never had a problem holding down any job. I'm quick to pick up new things. Shooting and guns are my biggest passion, but I also love cooking, hiking, white water rafting, hunting, and being in the outdoors in general.

I don't know what to choose as a hobby and what to choose as a career.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I hear ya, I broke my back 4 years ago so I'm not as active as I used to be, but the worst thing that's ever happened to me is sitting behind a damn desk 8-16 hrs a day :( Used to be ripped and lean, now I'm in shape. Round is a shape isn't it? Part of my problem is also that I make too much here to ever leave. I'm next in line to run this office, but it's so frustrating having employees that just don't care, in a customer service based industry, everything falls on me, the only guy who cares. If I ever do get the hnic job, I may be the only one left once the axe stops swinging, lol. I've considered moving back home to Seattle, but the cost of living calculator says I'd have to make 138k/yr to live how I do here. Trying to calculate how much $ relates to happiness.

g
    That's the whole problem, finding someone who cares these days. The most important thing on many peoples minds is when am I going to get off and go home, with this mentality they could care less if they drop the ball at work.

Mr.Squatch

Subsea Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    River Ranch
    Amen to that. I can read, write and tie my shoes which puts me in the top 10% of this industry. The fact that I care enough to answer the phone after hours has gotten me to upper management. :dunno:

I have a few ideas what I could do to run my own business that I'm sure I could get rich doing, just haven't had the time/motivation to take the risk as of yet. hrmph.

g

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    That's the whole problem, finding someone who cares these days. The most important thing on many peoples minds is when am I going to get off and go home, with this mentality they could care less if they drop the ball at work.

I think the two issues are linked. It's plenty easier to care if you enjoy what you do. If you don't enjoy what you do, who wouldn't expect you to WANT to go home on-schedule? Some parts of my job I love, some I hate and regardless of what part I'm currently on, I care ENOUGH to work late if I have to...but if nothing's pressing, I'm going home and saving those late nights for when they're absolutely necessary. If I weren't on salary...well that'd be a different story.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think the two issues are linked. It's plenty easier to care if you enjoy what you do. If you don't enjoy what you do, who wouldn't expect you to WANT to go home on-schedule? Some parts of my job I love, some I hate and regardless of what part I'm currently on, I care ENOUGH to work late if I have to...but if nothing's pressing, I'm going home and saving those late nights for when they're absolutely necessary. If I weren't on salary...well that'd be a different story.

Yes and many don't care enough to find out what their ideal job might be. They just want a job to make just enough to get by and some are pissed because they want to start out making top pay. Lazy people just **** me off, they don't really want to work and want everything handed to them...... That's a whole new topic

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This is an interesting topic to me. I'm a restaurant manager/wine sommelier. I'm very good at what I do, but I'm not sure I want to do it forever. I'm a good critical thinker and a hard worker and I never had a problem holding down any job. I'm quick to pick up new things. Shooting and guns are my biggest passion, but I also love cooking, hiking, white water rafting, hunting, and being in the outdoors in general.

I don't know what to choose as a hobby and what to choose as a career.

I think a lot of people ruin their hobbies by making them careers, and visa-verse.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I was a high school drop out, I quit not because I hated school, but when they forced integration on us, I was forced to go to a black school, all the boys had to go there, the girls went to the white school. I went from being an honor roll student for 8 years to making D's and F's because the teacher would not help us, and we had fights all the time. I quit and joined the Navy, best move I ever made. I got my GED, some college, and got my Pilots license, and a ham radio license. When I got out the Navy, I worked as an auto mechanic and police officer, I applied for a job with Texaco oil refinery and got a job as an operator. When I asked my boss why he hired me with no plant experience, he said "you have a ham license don't you? I said yes, he said no one force you to learn radio theory, and morse code, you did it on your own, and thats the type of people we want working for us." Over the years I have done many things, got my Commercial pilots license, AME mechanic certification, amateur pistolsmith, machinist, computer geek, basically I have a PHd from the school of hard knocks. After almost 30 years at the same plant, I was forced to retire when I made 55. Luckily, I found another job doing what I did for another company, then we got bought by Valero who is my current employer. I'm a shift supervisor and I've learned that no matter where you go, you meet the same types of people, both good and bad. Today my life revolves around shooting, flying, and family when I'm not working.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I'm a student, a farm hand, a dog rescue-er, a blacksmith, and trainer of people and animals.
    I'm disproportionately lazy when it comes to college / homework and cutting my grass. Thank god I'm one of those guys who can miss a week and still get A's on the test cause I love to read, even textbooks.
    I used to be a health nut until I got broken in the army and sat around for three years feeling sorry for myself and getting fat.
    Now, when I can get the time, I work like a beast at the anvil, until my broken shoulder has to be ice'ed and I can't lift my hammers anymore.
    I train my dogs to do funny tricks and our shelter dogs to be nice to people.
    I tutor my friends in everything from managerial accounting to statistics, calculus, and marksmanship.

I've waited tables, ran office Ethernet cables ( second worst job ever), tended bar, managed said bar, served in the army, was a security guard, ground lead based bottom paint off of ships and yachts (by far worst job ever, also first job ever).

I've got a surprising number of little certifications for someone my age, none of which actually have any bearing on what I do.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Late start is better than no start

Spent years from 14 thru 34 testing chemicals and herbs, wrecking whatever lives I could...married 4 times in route. Made ten years as OTR trucker ( thats scary )

Met Jesus...met Ms Dawg, went back to school , got CC degree in Commercial and Industrial Electricity...went back to CC for Degree in HVAC ( on part time )

Worked as Chief Engineer in Harrah's over HVAC and Electrical, worked several years as contract HVAC , worked for Parish Schools as HVAC and Electrician. Retired now working P/T in HVAC

I tell others about how I made the jump whenever the chance pops up, I take no credit.

Also I am NOT a Jesus Freak, no robes, don't pull a cross around, I represent Him as a working guy guided by love for others.

If I wasn't past time I'd love to get into underwater tech, sounds like a kikk. You are on the right track...find the person then teach the job.

As you can see I am honest...can I borrow a gun ??

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I'm great at plucking deep nose hairs. If only I could knit them into a sweater, then I'd be set.

As of now, I just drop them into my keyboard to keep the co-workers from ever wanting to sit at my desk.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I kind of enjoy the pain. It sends a tingle down my leg.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I think a lot of people ruin their hobbies by making them careers, and visa-verse.

In some ways I agree with this.

My daughter is leaning towards a science based career. For as long as she's been able to say "when I grow up", she's said she wanted to be a veterinarian. But she gets concerned because she's afraid she's going to have to give up writing and drawing. She is a true artist. She draws constantly. I keep telling her she can go to school for both. I've encouraged her paying equal attention to furthering her drawing ability, especially if she enters any any type of medical care. She will need the outlet after a rough day at work or else suffer burn out. She flip flops though, she says maybe she'll make her primary career as an artist or writer. She doesn't believe me when I tell her it's a very very difficult place to support herself in any arts based job.

I'm creative, artistic, jazzy. Flighty. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom