What brand is your suppressor(s) and would you purchase it again?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    What didn't you like with their mounts? I only have 1 rifle can, 762sdn6, and it doesn't wobble. My brothers m4-2k doesn't either. But maybe my teeth aren't worn out? Bc I hold the button when I screw it on/off. Heard if you don't. It'll wear down the teeth as it clicks

From what I understand, it's a crapshoot. Some people have lucked into tight mounts, some have not. Some folks have luck when the mount carbons up a little and it tightens up, but I don't run my rifles often enough/let them get dirty enough to find out. Also some people simply don't notice that a can wobbles ever so slightly, and some notice and think it's normal. However, at the end of the day AAC switched to a 90T mount to reduce the problem, but currently there's no way to upgrade an existing can to 90T (I would do so in a heartbeat).

My SDN-6 has wobbled on the first two mounts I bought. Had to literally file down each mount ever so slightly so that the can would grab the last tooth all the way. Both mounts out of the box would either simply not grab the next tooth to sit flush and not wobble, or if you really torqued down it would grab the tip of the next tooth which would sit there precariously before it would pop back to the last tooth. They don't wobble anymore but it seems like something the user should not have to do. Really compared to horror stories I've heard in the past for other companies' mounts, 51T is fantastic since it can be mended to be perfect.

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Only 2 cans so far......

Silencerco Sparrow for the BuckMark and the Takedown 10/22. Would definitely buy another. Possibly a Surefire Ryder, but love the Sparrow thus far

Surefire SOCOM762RC. I plan on using this can on my AI AE MK iii and my SBR. Have shot it on the AE for about 150 rounds, so far no complaints. When the Mark 18 clears the ATF, I'll let you guys know how well it handles the can. Had to go with the "one can to rule em all" act until after the baby is born, so no 5.56 can......yet

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    What didn't you like with their mounts? I only have 1 rifle can, 762sdn6, and it doesn't wobble. My brothers m4-2k doesn't either. But maybe my teeth aren't worn out? Bc I hold the button when I screw it on/off. Heard if you don't. It'll wear down the teeth as it clicks

I think people calling it a wobble adds to the confusion. The "wobble" here is the ability to ever so slightly rotate the can after it is tightned down. As in, you just can't quite get the can to tighten down over the next tooth on the 51t mount, so there is a half tooth worth of rotational play.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I think people calling it a wobble adds to the confusion. The "wobble" here is the ability to ever so slightly rotate the can after it is tightned down. As in, you just can't quite get the can to tighten down over the next tooth on the 51t mount, so there is a half tooth worth of rotational play.

More like a see-saw of the can which is loose on its mount. There really isn't a lot of rotational play, given that when it's on a tooth or partially on a tooth the rotation is more or less fixed. If it was just rotational play there would be little concern, if any.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    More like a see-saw of the can which is loose on its mount. There really isn't a lot of rotational play, given that when it's on a tooth or partially on a tooth the rotation is more or less fixed. If it was just rotational play there would be little concern, if any.

That's the first I have heard of that! When I read people having wobble issues, it always turned out to be a little rotation because it couldn't latch onto the last tooth. I'd also be concenred if I had movement other than a little rotation. My m4-2000 doesn't have any see-saw type movement, on either the brake out mount I had, or the brake I currently use.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm going to have to play with mine when I get home. Bc the slightest rotational turn I think I may have but that isn't a big deal, but if mine wobbles I would be worried.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    That's the first I have heard of that! When I read people having wobble issues, it always turned out to be a little rotation because it couldn't latch onto the last tooth. I'd also be concenred if I had movement other than a little rotation. My m4-2000 doesn't have any see-saw type movement, on either the brake out mount I had, or the brake I currently use.

If yours is fine, if you want a demo of the "wobble" you should be able to back your suppressor onto the 2nd-to-last tooth and then feel it jiggle. As in, tighten it all the way down (like normal) but then back it off of the mount by one tooth, fully engaging that tooth. Not sure if that really makes sense but it should give you an idea. Again, it's not some giant effect (probably some tiny fraction of a degree) but it is easily discernible.

Edit: On second thought, I do know what you're talking about re: rotational play. There is a very fine line between/among: (1) fully seated, super snug on last tooth, (2) can tighten a little more, but can't fully climb to next tooth, (3) can climb to next tooth, but only gets the top of the next tooth and will not fully seat, and then a return to (1) fully seated, super snug on last tooth.

You will get rotational play on (2) because it can tighten further but won't make it to another tooth, and the wobble should be very minimal. You will also get rotational play on (3) if you can't fully seat on that last tooth, so you back off onto the 2nd-to-last tooth, and a lot of what I call "wobble." If you are snug on (1) or snug but not fully seated on (3) then you shouldn't have any rotational play or wobble.

I'm going to have to play with mine when I get home. Bc the slightest rotational turn I think I may have but that isn't a big deal, but if mine wobbles I would be worried.

If you haven't noticed it yet, you're probably good. Even if you do notice a little wiggle, you can polish the face of your mount and it will lock up super tight.

And sorry guys for crapping up a thread about 51t wobble complaints. :D In reality it's not a big deal plus it's user-fixable to a perfect tightness, but since I spent a grand on one of these suppressors and am stuck with it for life, I figured I'd share my opinion since the thread asked for it.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would be down for a class 3 shoot. I have a whole bunch of different cans to demo. Got pretty much all of Silencerco's cans and a big portion of AAC's also have several liberty cans and a machine gun. Hadn't had much time do to any shooting lately with all the hunting I have been doing.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Edit: On second thought, I do know what you're talking about re: rotational play. There is a very fine line between/among: (1) fully seated, super snug on last tooth, (2) can tighten a little more, but can't fully climb to next tooth, (3) can climb to next tooth, but only gets the top of the next tooth and will not fully seat, and then a return to (1) fully seated, super snug on last tooth.

You will get rotational play on (2) because it can tighten further but won't make it to another tooth, and the wobble should be very minimal. You will also get rotational play on (3) if you can't fully seat on that last tooth, so you back off onto the 2nd-to-last tooth, and a lot of what I call "wobble." If you are snug on (1) or snug but not fully seated on (3) then you shouldn't have any rotational play or wobble.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about! I can get near the top of the next tooth, but not far enough to lock onto it. However, I still don't have any wobble that I have been able to detect.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I have a saker 5.56 and a Osprey .40. I like both of them but if I wish I would have bought the octane .45 instead of the osprey. I will buy a saker 7.62 this year.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I would be down for a class 3 shoot. I have a whole bunch of different cans to demo. Got pretty much all of Silencerco's cans and a big portion of AAC's also have several liberty cans and a machine gun. Hadn't had much time do to any shooting lately with all the hunting I have been doing.

1st world problems! but yes! Lets set this up, some time in Feb? Maybe the weekend before Mardi gras, Get out of NOLA since I can't stand crowds....

bjb550

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    AAC Element and an AAC Titan. Both great cans. I would like to branch into Silencerco. and check out the Octane .45 as well as the saker.

TTNKountze

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    If you don't mind someone from Texas joining you, I'd bring my cans- not transporting the sbrs across the line.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    I have 5 cans in jail.
    AAC 7.62 SD approved just waiting on stamp
    AAC Tirant 45 should be approved in March
    AAC Tirant 9mm should be approved in April
    Sparrow Approved just waiting on Stamp
    Integral arms 22 should be approved next month

I would be down for a Class 3 shoot.