What does COX do if........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    .......you tell them to cancel your cable?

I want a better deal as they have increased costs to "operating costs" and I am guessing like a lot of other things they will offer a better deal to keep me vs shutting me off. Anybody else tried bluffing them?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    They will cancel your cable because they know there is not a better deal out there. You can try and see what happens. Ask them what they offer for new customers first and if they wont give you that deal then you can disconnect and re-connect in your wife's name.

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    I will be finding out here soon what they do cause I can get a better deal with Eatel, even better with direct tv, but I'm going Eatel.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    i'd buy an HD antenna and get free tv...

I've thought about doing that and using Hulu and Netflix for the non-OTA network stuff. I just like sports too much so I'm sticking with a service provider until they solve that riddle.

When I had to cancel Cox they didn't offer a deal. DirecTV has been begging me to go back to them though. If you sign a contract they may offer a reduced price for 6 months or so, but then you're in a contract which always sucks.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    You should look into ATT Uverse. I'm very happy with my service and it was quite a bit cheaper than Charter.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Dont tell them youre going to cancel, tell them youre thinking about canceling and you want to see if there is anything they can do. Tell them you've received fliers from direct tv, and they are about 40 dollars a month cheaper. They cut my bill by 25 dollars a month.

Bosco is right, Uverse is an option, the picture quality is great, the internet speed isn't quite as good as cox, and they have more frequent service outages than cox. If you have a security system, it is about 50/50 that the uverse will work with it. It is a fiberoptic network, but once it gets to the house it is ran on two conductors, so the internet speed isn't that great.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    You should look into ATT Uverse. I'm very happy with my service and it was quite a bit cheaper than Charter.

We just got Uverse yesterday. I never really watched TV but now that I can get it in high def and record whatever show I want to watch I may actually use it.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    They cut you off.

I wanted to upgrade my internet speed, and they have some sort of filter on my line and they want me to pay $100 for them to spend more money with them. We have been going round and round. I might cancel and then re up, I would go with uverse in a second if they would offer it here.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    We got sick of all of it and canceled all together. Between Netflix, shows streaming on the internet and an HD antenna, we have everything we need and dont miss it. Instead of paying over $100 a month for cable I pay $8 a month for Netflix. The rest is free.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I gave COX the boot and switched to Uverse. No contract, decent prices, and good internet speed. I'll never go back to chasing a squirell around a tree with COX.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Uverse is great for television, but only so-so for internet.

That said, Cox was the worst company I've ever dealt with. They hire mildly retarded farm animals to staff their support lines and EVERY TIME a major show/game is on the signal goes blocky.

I've never had an issue with Uverse television. Personally, I wish I could have Cox internet and Uverse television, but Cox won't do it.

WHY? I have no idea. See mildly retarded farm animals comment above.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    lying to get a better deal is pretty sad, the service costs the same amount for everybody, if you want it, pay it. If not, cancel it.

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    switched to eatel even though they are a tad bit more here. Cox dvr was never working 100% of the time.

When I put together a comparable package (on Eatel web site)to what I currently have with cox Eatel gets me back to where my cox bill was before their recent price hike.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I dumped Cox and switched to Directv. I really do like it better. It was cheaper for me but not for everyone. If you have multiple hd/dvrs then you will save money. If you just have basic stuff with Cox it is not much of a savings. I'll stick with Directv even at the same price. When I call I get someone on the phone within a minute or two and they are actually nice.
    I have a full Cox service counter 40 feet from my office and still didn't like the service so that should tell you something.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    I gave COX the boot and switched to Uverse. No contract, decent prices, and good internet speed. I'll never go back to chasing a squirell around a tree with COX.

AT&T offers fiber optic internet service with Uverse?

Because I HATE AT&T DSL.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom