What gun do you CC?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I've been scowering the web for reveiws for all of the thin 9mms (PM9, PF9, DB9, etc..) and it seems some recieve more praise (PM9, PF9) but still have some bad reviews peppered in based on defects corrected by manufaturer, user errors (some people seem to think limp-wristing will lead to FTF on these weapons). You never hear that about glocks and I'd hate to just happen to "limp-wrist" at the wrong time and have a FTF. For that reason, I'll probably find a comfortable way to CC my G33 and buy a S&W J-frame also (just got my wife one).

To answer the earlier question, the main problem I foresaw with CCing the glock was my style. I wear well-fitting clothes and a gun over 1" thick would easily print. My ideal gun for concealing would be a P-3AT or LCP that I could fit in a pocket holster, but I want to pack a little more power than .380 while I'm limited (financially) to one or two guns. Maybe when I expand my collection I'll have a variety of CC weapons to choose from based on season, dress, etc...

I've heard nothing but praise about Kel Tec cutomer service so I may look into a PF9 over the competitors when I have some spare dough to piddle around with.

Jason:

I have never trained under an instructor who carried a Kel-Tec ......... or a Taurus or a Rossi, for that matter. Reliability (meaning "out-of-the-box," documented, track record of going "bang" every time you pull the trigger) is the non-negotiable criterion in picking a self-defense weapon. It would be hard to imagine a less reliable handgun than a Kel-Tec (unless you start looking at Lorcins and Ravens).

Price shouldn't enter into the decision, unless you place a particularly low value on your life. If you can't afford a new quality handgun, buy a used (police trade-in) Glock or HK.

If you aren't willing to make some trade-offs, or accept some minor inconveniences, in your wardrobe selection, your mindset isn't where it needs to be regarding self defense. All handguns are poor choices for self defense (compared to centerfire rifles and shotguns loaded w/ buckshot), and they are often more difficult to shoot accurately than a shoulder-fired weapon. Dropping down to a pocket-sized gun, just because it's easier to conceal, is usually a poor trade-off because it will definitely be harder to shoot well, and it won't hold much ammo. The people who further compound the problem by carrying a pocket gun chambered in .380 or .32 are in serious need of some training that will enable them to reexamine their priorities from an educated perspective.

Newbies all seem to think that all firearms that go "bang" are death machines and that all are equally effective at stopping an attacker. They also seem to be adept at "discovering" the Holy Grail of handguns -- the cheap but reliable CCW weapon. I'm not saying you are one of these newbies, but you seem to be considering some of these choices as a viable options. I would suggest waiting until you have completed a good self-defense based CHP class, or have taken a good "immersion level" defensive handgun class like the one Tom Givens will be teaching in BR this week, before embarking further down the "mouse gun as a primary weapon" trail. If you then have doubts about which weapon platform to choose, I'd suggest sending PM's to some of the knowledgeable members on this board (not saying I am one of them) instead of collecting opinions from a large group of well intentioned folks whose experience is limited to whatever they bought on sale at Academy last year.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Thanks Dawg.

I was fortunate enough for my first hand-me-down handgun to be a G33 and due to limited endeavors into the handgun world (I've mostly been fueled by hunting this far) I guess I am still searching for that Holy Grail weapon you mentioned to best spend my money. Like I mentioned, when I saw even "peppered" bad reviews for the PF9 it gets the wheels spinning on where those inconveniences could potentially fall in a timeline and that shifts priorities from saving cash. Enter the glock already owned...a thorn in the side for CCing a bigger gun is better than a bullet in the chest.

Although you won't take credit for being one of the more knowledgeable members on the board, you get honesty points for knocking on Lorcins and Ravens when your signature indicates you sell them.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    G27, with lasermax in a Raven concealment iwb

265088_10150219344651891_640896890_7599463_7557385_n.jpg

and i also carry my NAA 22 Mag in a leather NAA iwb holster in my small right jean pocket.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    45 Colt Defender in either a CC Gun Leather IWB, a Galco Kingtuk IWB or a Galco high ride OWB depending on the concealment level and clothing for the situation.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    A Ruger LCP in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster here in my small Mississippi town.
    A Taurus CIA revolver in a Bianchi Model 100 IWB holstrer when I go to Slidell.
    A Glock 23 in a Galco Royal Guard when I travel to New Orleans.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I carry a Sig Sauer P239 .40S&W when I'm dressed to appropriately conceal it. Living here where it's so warm for so many months I end up carrying my Kahr Arms PM9 more often than not.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I.m a old fart but I have been carring a Glock 27 with a polished inside and a 3'5 pound trigger, works great..you forget you are carring a gun at all...
    Thinking about getting my CC pretty soon with BR getting worse by the day. Have yet to take a certified class so I'm a little ways out.

I'm 6'0" 170 lbs and the only handgun I've owned is a G33. With my size I'd find it tough and very uncomfortable to conceal a gun this size. I checked out some guns at Cabela's today and the LC9 looked like something more managable, the LCP would obviously be very easy but I think I want a 9mm or .40.

So what do you CC? Are you a smaller guy?

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've been scowering the web for reveiws for all of the thin 9mms (PM9, PF9, DB9, etc..) and it seems some recieve more praise (PM9, PF9) but still have some bad reviews peppered in based on defects corrected by manufaturer, user errors (some people seem to think limp-wristing will lead to FTF on these weapons). You never hear that about glocks and I'd hate to just happen to "limp-wrist" at the wrong time and have a FTF. For that reason, I'll probably find a comfortable way to CC my G33 and buy a S&W J-frame also (just got my wife one).

To answer the earlier question, the main problem I foresaw with CCing the glock was my style. I wear well-fitting clothes and a gun over 1" thick would easily print. My ideal gun for concealing would be a P-3AT or LCP that I could fit in a pocket holster, but I want to pack a little more power than .380 while I'm limited (financially) to one or two guns. Maybe when I expand my collection I'll have a variety of CC weapons to choose from based on season, dress, etc...

I've heard nothing but praise about Kel Tec cutomer service so I may look into a PF9 over the competitors when I have some spare dough to piddle around with.
    Before you buy a P3at or a LCP put a S&W Bodyguard in your hand, I have owned all three and I love my Bodyguard!! If its not in my pocket my G19 is on my side.

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    5" 1911 or a Sig P238 depending on dress, mood, day of the week, phase of the moon etc...

For the Kel-Tec I have a first gen P3-AT I bought back around 2003 or so, never had a ftf/fte with it, and I used to shoot the hell out of it, maybe I lucked out, or maybe I keep it clean and change the springs out when needed, who knows. If you want one of the tiny .380s try and find one to shoot first, they mostly suck as far as triggers, recoil, and not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with one due to the trigger and recoil.

One of my co-workers just got his permit and was hell bent on the Kel-Tec as a primary CCW till he shot mine, then shot the p238 and the 1911. Now he's more confused than when he started, hates the recoil on the kel-tec and cant hit **** with it but it's so small and easy to conceal, the 238 is so much heavier but has almost no recoil, and the 1911 is too big but is a better caliber :rofl:

Last edited:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Summer carry either the H&K squeeze cocker in .40 or my trusty little firestar M40

winter carry it's the Beretta 96 or desert eagle in 44mag

and just a suggestion to those who don't, for whatever reason, if you carry an auto, good idea to carry a spare mag.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    oh_you.jpg

I would think 170 pounds would be more than enough to carry a baby Glock. Is the thickness the problem?
    Some people have to make wardrobe changes when they decide to carry. I know for me all of the shorter shirts
    had to go.

I'm 5'10" and 150lbs (pretty skinny) and have no problem concealing a G19. I don't wear baggy shirts or fancy cover garments. It's all about finding the right holster, cant and location. I have a G26 for "deep carry" but honestly rarely carry it because it just doesn't conceal much better than the 19. All said and done the only relevant difference is .5" of grip length if you use the pinky extension. Not really worth sacrificing 3 rounds and .5" of barrel IMO, and if I do carry my 26 it's generally just because I'm running to the store or something and being lazy.

nolaninja

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    New Orleans, LA
    Glock 23 with night sights <-- which I think are an ABSOLUTE for a concealed carry weapon. I use an IWB leather holster from Garrity's Gun Leather, awesome custom made holsters that take a while to receive but will probably last a lifetime.

Top Bottom