What happens in England if you find a gun discarded in your yard and you turn it in?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewdawg

F-15 Eagle Crew Chief
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Amite, LA
    This is what many Liberals want to happen in America

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2009...y+(Cato+at+Liberty)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Beyond Parody

Posted by Daniel J. Mitchell

A former soldier in England has been arrested and convicted (and may even go to jail for five years) because he found a gun in his yard and he turned it over to the police. I presume this is in part a reflection of the anti-gun ideology embedded in UK law, but don’t prosecutors and judges have even a shred of discretion to avoid foolish prosecutions and/or protect innocent people from absurd charges? Here is the news report:

A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for “doing his duty”. Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday – after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year. The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year’s imprisonment for handing in the weapon. In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: “I didn’t think for one moment I would be arrested.”

… The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden. In his statement, he said: “I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges. “I didn’t know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him. “At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall.” Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

… Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a “strict liability” charge – therefore Mr Clarke’s allegedly honest intent was irrelevant. Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

… Judge Christopher Critchlow said: “This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge. “The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant.”

---------------------------------------

I think he should have called the police to come and get it and not brought it down there himself, but this conviction is still Bull***t

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Outrageous. What has happened to that once-proud nation??

Last edited:

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I find this very hard to believe....

Believe it.
    The ex-soldier faces a minimum of 5 years in jail. He was found guilty on Tuesday.

Here's the story as it appeared in the newspaper of Surrey, England.

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/...nding-gun/article-1509082-detail/article.html

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun

Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 12:15
    A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for "doing his duty".

Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday – after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year.

The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year's imprisonment for handing in the weapon.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: "I didn't think for one moment I would be arrested.

"I thought it was my duty to hand it in and get it off the streets."

The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden.

In his statement, he said: "I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges.

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."

Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

Defending, Lionel Blackman told the jury Mr Clarke's garden backs onto a public green field, and his garden wall is significantly lower than his neighbours.

He also showed jurors a leaflet printed by Surrey Police explaining to citizens what they can do at a police station, which included "reporting found firearms".

Quizzing officer Garnett, who arrested Mr Clarke, he asked: "Are you aware of any notice issued by Surrey Police, or any publicity given to, telling citizens that if they find a firearm the only thing they should do is not touch it, report it by telephone, and not take it into a police station?"

To which, Mr Garnett replied: "No, I don't believe so."

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge – therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.

Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

But despite this, Mr Blackman urged members of the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

He said: "This is a very small case with a very big principle.

"You could be walking to a railway station on the way to work and find a firearm in a bin in the park.

"Is it unreasonable to take it to the police station?"

Paul Clarke will be sentenced on December 11.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge.

"The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

Art

Last edited:

bigc70092

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Gretna, La
    The liberals start taking away your rights slowly. It may take years, but in the end most are brainwashed into their way of thinking. That why its important to not give in. Here it may start with a small 20 dollar registration fee for owning a weapon. Then fingerprints, followed a few years later by having to apply for a permit just to own a weapon. It starts slow, but years later they yank that license and visit your home to confiscate you declared weapons.

we all know about the countries where the civilians do not have gun rights. Those countries are very scary as the government and criminals run the streets. Lets not let it happen here. C.

bvfd920

Lost and confused....
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here is the offsetting story. Apparently you go to jail if you turn in a weapon, but get off scott free for killing your wife???

Sleepwalker Accidentally Killed Wife During Nightmare, Prosecutors Say
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Print A British man with a history of sleepwalking strangled his wife because he was convinced that she was an intruder who had broken into their camper van.

Brian Thomas, 59, and his wife Christine, 57, were on vacation in West Wales when he attacked her in the middle of the night.

Prosecutors accepted the findings of medical experts who said that he had a sleep disorder. They told Swansea Crown Court that they would not seek a conviction for murder or manslaughter.

The couple had been asleep in their camper when they were disturbed by “boy racers” and decided to move. After they went back to bed, Brian Thomas had a nightmare in which the youths broke into their camper van.

He woke up alongside his lifeless wife’s body and called for emergency assistance. In a tape of the call played to the jury he was heard telling the emergency operator: “I think I’ve killed my wife. Oh my God. I thought someone had broken in. I was fighting with those boys but it was Christine. I must have been dreaming or something. What have I done? What have I done? Can you send someone?”

Thomas was crying and shaking when he was found by police officers 10 minutes after making the call. He had said of his wife: “She is my world.”

Paul Thomas, for the prosecution, said: “The defendant accepts that he caused the death of his wife, but the prosecution (does) not seek a verdict of guilty to murder or manslaughter. Instead, very unusually, we seek what is called a special verdict, a verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity.”

The court was told that the Thomases were a “happy, devoted couple” who were due to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary. Thomas, of Neath, South Wales, had suffered from sleep disorders for 50 years. Medical experts had carried out tests that confirmed his behavior was “consistent with the legal concept of automatism."

The prosecution said: “In other words, at the time of the killing the defendant was asleep and his mind had no control over what his body was doing.”

If he is found not guilty due to insanity he will be subject to a psychiatric hospital order and could be detained indefinitely.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    more than the law...think of those people that convicted him.

People wonder why I have an irrational hatred for the English/British Government, and most of the people, instead of Muslims or Liberals here...that piece of crap nation has ruined more countries and people than any other nation or movement in history. The only GOOD thing they did was force out a bunch of "Terrorists" that started this beautiful nation.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Once again I am reminded how lucky I am to be an American- and how unwilling I am to give that title up.....

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Sucks not to have a US constitution. Their ancestors had their chance should have revolted when the revolting was good. After reading this I threw three tea packets in the toilet and pissed on them. My own little personal tea party. America **** Yeah

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Anyone wanting me arrested, please conceal random firearms in "bin liners" and freely disperse them over my back fence. Then, just wait for me to be carted off when I turn them in. Just wait. Wait. Wait some more. Well, if at first you don't succeed, try again. And again, and again, and again...

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    The human race sure can be naive. Think before you do something.

A lawyer friend of ours once told us this, "let me tell you something, the Government is not your friend"!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The most troubling part of this whole debacle is a jury convicted him. Common sense and political correctness are like oil and water. They do not go together. So now as productive member of society who was trying to do the right thing will be incarcerated for 5 years. While in jail the tax payers of England will have to pay for his room and board and he will lose his job. When he gets out of jail he will be a convicted felon and will have a difficult time finding employment. This is wrong on so many levels. God Bless America.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Okay from someone living there...

""I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief
    Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him. ""

WTF? "Didn't know what to do"?? He found a sawn-off shotgun in his back
    garden, waited until the next morning, then personally took it into the
    police station and handed it to a senior officer?? Is that the behaviour of
    a normal person? If I found a sawn-off shotgun in my back garden I would
    avoid handling it (fingerprints) then dial 999 immediately.

There's clearly more to this story than first appears, or it's completely
    made-up, and its absence from any kind of reputable news source seems
    mightily suspicious.

Top Bottom