What if any, damage would this cause?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    This is one of a handful of rounds my nephew gave me when he gave my Win 94 back. I have no idea how he got that much setback on a factory round,nor do I have any intention of shooting it. Still curious how bad/if it would hurt the gun. Center round of course.

2fw1765fryqt55gp4.jpg

Hackett

Reloader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Marrero, LA
    On a factory load, probably not much, but you still have that slight risk of over-pressure in the chamber, a squib load, or over expansion of the casing.

Though the risk should be minimal, I'd properly dispose of the round. No sence in damaging a gun over a round thats only a dollar or two.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    More like 50-75 cents for 30-30. I'd toss it unless its a super zombie killer load with radioactive isotopes. Probably not enough crimp. I'd shoot up the rest of those old cartridges loaded one at a time and treat yourself to a new box of ammo.

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    On a factory load, probably not much, but you still have that slight risk of over-pressure in the chamber, a squib load, or over expansion of the casing.

Though the risk should be minimal, I'd properly dispose of the round. No sence in damaging a gun over a round thats only a dollar or two.

i would actually be more concerened with a factory load as all the factory ammo i have ever seen usually is filled to capacity. so if it has been compressed you could run into some serious pressure problems. not to say that a reload wouldn't do the same but you would likely not have a compressed load with a handload.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Oh I won't be shooting any of those rounds. I don't trust what they may have been through, and like you said it's cheap enough not to chance it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La

If you have a bullet puller you might be able to salvage the brass. (Or discard it)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom