what is best auto 12 ga?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    This is one of those "what flavor ice cream" questions so follow some of the above advice and try whatever ones you can lay your hands on.

My choices based on what I have shot:
    1. Benelli SBE (not SBE II)
    2. Browning A5 Mag
    3. 11-87 3.5" Syn

The Beretta grip angle feels off to me and my shooting. X2 is too heavy. 1100's don't come in 3.5.

I have let people shoot my SBE and not like it but usually their comments indicate they are a candya$$ shooter and can't handle anything that kicks. I am presently looking for another SBE for my son if that tells you anything.

onlyjourneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    I currently shoot a Benelli and think it's a great gun.
    If you have time to go to the skeet range, you can ask and probably get to shoot anything you have in mind. jmo

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I've shot the 1100 for over 30 years with no problems. Never felt "undegunned". A 1 1/4oz of shot seems to kill'em graveyard dead if I do my part.
    I am in search of a Beretta 390 this year. It is probably the best thing going out there. I seen and shot the Benneli's. Overpriced turd IMHO.
    I've hunted with the Win SX before. I shoot it very well. proportioned nice, swings well. The one I used was a one shot wunder, though.
    3 1/2" is overkill for duckhunting. Save that for the geese.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I shot skeet in college at UNO w/ an 1100. Actually, my gun was shared between 4 classes, shooting 3 days a week w/ cheap reloads. We cleaned them once per semester. None jammed. That says a lot!

fallingbird

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Metairie
    Old model Benelli SBE. Shoot it until it's filthy, then hose it out and oil 'er down. IMHO the best heavy duck/goose gun out there.

Since I don't hate the ducks that much anymore, I use a Benelli M1 super 90 in 20 gauge. With expensive non-toxic shot (i.e. Kent tungsten matrix 3" #5) it will anchor ducks at 50 yds like the old days of 12ga 2 3/4" #5 lead.

Consider a 20, it's a joy to carry and shoot a light gun.:cool:

chackbay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    oik, so I went to Cabelas today to check out the 12 semi's. I shouldered a Binellit sbe2, Beretta, Winchester superx2, and Browning silver. Left empty handed because I could not make a decision. I need to think about if I really need 3.5 ". I already have a pump chambered in 3.5. But I need a new "duck gun". I like the feel of the Binelli sbe2, with the raised vent rib and dual beads, 26'' barrel. I also like the Browning silver but is 3'' only. I'm not sure if barrel length (26 or 28) is very important. What are yall thoughts on this. The Browning was cheaper. The Beretta seems to be a little out of my price range. Any help...BROWNING SILVER (3'') OR BINELLI SBE2 (3.5'') ?????????

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    For "hunting" on a budget probably the Stoeger M2000 would be the best bang for the buck, granted the Berettas and Benelli's are some beautifull and reliable pieces but they are super pricey, the Stoeger has the Inertia Driven system so she is pretty well built.

For a Tactical Semi I actually think the Mossberg 930 SPX is worth taking a look at, every single review (BlackWater Test for example) puts her high up there with the best in the Tactical Game at half the cost.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I like my Browning gold evolve, but they do not make them anymore. Any Browning auto is a nice gun, and for the longest I use to use a Remington 1100 before Katrina took it.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I suggest the Extrema II or the Browning Maxus. If you're on a budget, I suggest a Stoeger. If you look around online, you can find a used Beretta at a decent price. I used a Browning A-5 for 100 years, and just got into the Extrema II. It was a tough choice between the Extrema and Maxus. I wouldn't buy a Browning Sliver, the Gold holds up better in marsh hunting.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Benelli Super Black Eagle 2.....hands down.

If you dont wanna shoot 3.5" shells, get the M2. The new Vinci's are ugly as hell but theyre nice too.

Benelli's are thinner, lighter, and kick less than the Berettas.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Browning Maxus is, IMO, tops right now. Extrema II close second. If you have not held a Maxus yet I suggest you "try it on for size" before making a decision. Kinda' like pistols - all the name brands are good, just find one that "fits". If only Kimber made a shotgun..................

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom