What is law regarding hitting a deer with a vehicle?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I hit one in a Vette too doing... erm uhh.. I was moving pretty quick at the time. Yellow fiberglass everywhere!!! The last one I bagged with my 91 Z28. People at work pitched in and got me one of those .308 Handi rifles. They told me this is how they do it in Mississippi. My dad bagged a 12pt with a F100. I drove home with a spike on the hood of my 96 Z28. I got a lot of funny looks on that.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    my cousin had a deer hit the side of his Toyota pickup, he stopped, called Sheriff's department (WBR), they responded, called La WLF, they responded.... told him... "Yep, looks like an accident, if you want the meat we'll help you throw it in the bed of the truck, otherwise I'll take it home and put it in the freezer."

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    Being that I've done this before...

The deer ran into the side of my Jeep my senior year of high school. I was so pissed off, but I knew I had to do something. It was a cold morning and the weather channel had said it wasn't getting about 36 all day. So I pulled out the knife I kept in the center console, went and slit the buck's throat, waited for him to pass away, then threw the deer in the back of the Jeep, took it home, dropped him on the back deck of the house, cleaned my hands, and went to school. I called my dad and he took it up to the butcher later on. NJFWS never found out, nor do they catalog "accidental deer deaths due to motor vehicle accidents." At least there wasn't any buckshot in him :)

I'd say, Don't ask, Don't tell.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    I know you gotta call someone, cant remember if its WLF,or Sheriff, but MOST of the time if you want it you can keep it. I have heard of them not offering, and even heard of them denying letting you keep it, but Ive also heard stories of them helping dress them for you

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    My thoughts... always keep a tarp large enough to wrap the carcass in. After you have accessed the accident, gotten your bearings and know what's going on... wrap that sucker up in the tarp, throw it in your vehicle and make the call to 911. Report the accident, report it ran off, receive your claim, drive home & profit.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You guys keep speaking like hitting it is winning the lottery because you got a free deer. I would imagine it would cause many thousands of dollars of damage to the vehicle... I'd be crying in my beer if I hit anything.

Only because of the rate speed at impact. :rofl:

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    There is a procedure to hitting them and minimize damage to your vehicle. I have a friend that kills more with his truck than with a gun every year. Those dont count towards your limit he said :rofl:

Top Bottom