what is the protocol at blinking yellow lights?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Although I have not heard back from "Louisiana" yet; I have found that many sources in other states prefer Dave's method of making this maneuver. I will wait for Louisiana's official response too. After all, we drive here!

Some of the examples I found.

Federal Highway Administration:
    iu

Driversed.com
    iu

Florida Driver's Handbook
    iu

California
    iu

Wisconsin.edu
    iu

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Although I have not heard back from "Louisiana" yet; I have found that many sources in other states prefer Dave's method of making this maneuver. I will wait for Louisiana's official response too. After all, we drive here!

Some of the examples I found.

Federal Highway Administration:
    iu

Driversed.com
    iu

Florida Driver's Handbook
    iu

California
    iu

Wisconsin.edu
    iu

I gave you Louisiana's answer. What that convoluted statute was trying to explain was the same thing as those diagrams.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I gave you Louisiana's answer. What that convoluted statute was trying to explain was the same thing as those diagrams.

I wasn't doubting your post. I was more doubting myself. Learning to drive in New Orleans, I was never taught to make turns this way. When I am down there, I actually still see a lot of people doing it the way I thought was the correct way. Now, that in no way excuses the silliness that is in MANY of the RS's of Louisiana. :mamoru:

I suppose that is just another reason people around the country think we are retarded down here! :p

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    One thing I will add is that the neutral ground is different from the above examples. One can actually turn into the median and stop so it makes sense to turn in staying to the right rather than turning in and blocking the left side of the crossover.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I was taught the picture on the right in the early 90's in Texas, I'm guessing long before a butt-hurt redditor could have possibly posted that picture. So is the left picture law, or only in Davelandia?

Jmcrawf1 did in fact pull the verbiage off of the Louisiana RS's. They are generally considered the law of the land! At least here in Louisiana. :mamoru:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    One thing I will add is that the neutral ground is different from the above examples. One can actually turn into the median and stop so it makes sense to turn in staying to the right rather than turning in and blocking the left side of the crossover.

And I agree with that! That is why I want some douche from the state to go on the record with their reply. But, it is Friday; and I know that state workers like to do nothing on Friday's unless they have to; and even though I was told on Wednesday that my email was in fact received and would be answered shortly; I hold out no hope whatsoever that this conundrum will be solved before next week! :rolleyes:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    In Baton Rouge, here's my protocol: Doing whatever is required to safely get through without some dumbass knocking me into the Hereafter. I encounter daily those who don't appear to know how to handle a red light, much less a flashing yellow. :dunno:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In Baton Rouge, here's my protocol: Doing whatever is required to safely get through without some dumbass knocking me into the Hereafter. I encounter daily those who don't appear to know how to handle a red light, much less a flashing yellow. :dunno:

Hmmm! So Heat, I see you use SPR #1 in that instance, eh? Good choice!

SPR #1 = Self Preservation Rule #1 is defined by the Emperor as: A conscious decision or lifestyle that puts his life and safety above all others while understanding fully that the world around him is chock full of morons, retards, and idiots that are predisposed to doing just about anything but concentrating on the Emperor's safety and well being!

;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I went to Canes yesterday on Gause in Slidell...EVERYONE performed the action in the pic labeled "correct"....I watched at least 5 cars do this, as well as, a policeman on a motorcycle

I also saw this all the time in New Orleans when I lived there for.......wait for it; 40 years! It was not until I started commuting to B.R. that I started noticing this practice of going under instead of over; or inside instead of outside.

Truth be told, I just accepted as the people in Baton Rouge were retarded! Now it seems, I may be retarded! However, I am going to do what everyone that does something stupid does and blame someone else! After all, you didn't actually get taught how to drive in New Orleans in the 70's. You did what most 14 year olds on the cusp of turning 15 did to learn to drive; you stole your moms car when she wasn't around and drove to your friends houses! ;)

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    I also saw this all the time in New Orleans when I lived there for.......wait for it; 40 years! It was not until I started commuting to B.R. that I started noticing this practice of going under instead of over; or inside instead of outside.

Truth be told, I just accepted as the people in Baton Rouge were retarded! Now it seems, I may be retarded! However, I am going to do what everyone that does something stupid does and blame someone else! After all, you didn't actually get taught how to drive in New Orleans in the 70's. You did what most 14 year olds on the cusp of turning 15 did to learn to drive; you stole your moms car when she wasn't around and drove to your friends houses! ;)

i guess louisiana drivers are just uneducated on this matter...at this point, we are left with doing it the wrong way b/c that's what the masses do...I may only have to execute this type of turn a couple times a year, it's not worth the trouble to do it "right", the confusion and risk of an accident just isn't worth it.

Top Bottom