what is the turnaround time for getting CHL after submitting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I know it stinks but it might be worth your time. I got prints done at the Denham Springs Police Department and after about a month found out they were rejected. Got them done again at the State Police HQ and if I remember right, the lady who did them told me they would be good, and they were. Got CHP about threee weeks after that. This was about a year and a half ago.

The lady at the State HQ told me that they will not, absolutely will not, reject their OWN finger prints taken, 100% assuredly.

After watching them scan my fingerprints on to the digital ma-cheen, I can definitely see why they want to do them that way, now. Holy cow that was some hi-res, clear, and very identifiable prints!

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    ??

It's the LA State Police HQ..

Does the department that does electronic fingerprints stay open during the same hours as the entire LA State Police HQ's?

I think they close at 4:30. Dropped mine off there and received my permit in 3 weeks exactly. Went on a Friday afternoon around 3:30 and waited less than 3 minutes before they called me.

Thanks

Pigfish73

Brass Junkie!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I had a student tell me the other day that it took her almost 4 months to get her permit. Her prints were returned once in that time period and she was re-printed the next day and sent them back. So it actually took about 8 weeks to get the permit once she sent in a good set of prints. My last several sets of students all had about the same wait. If you live in a rural part of the state (like me), you may not have the option to scan prints. It seems to me that LSP has become real picky about ink 10 cards lately. Or, maybe I just know a bunch of people with worn fingers!

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Went to LSP on July 12. Both of us got fingerprinted and submitted our stuff on the spot. We had money orders, proper photos, triple-checked that everything was in order, etc. We were completely done and out of there in 30 minutes, and this was at lunchtime!

I figured it would take extra long, partly due to the fact that we lived in GA for 2 months after Katrina. I was wrong.

Both CHP's came in the mail today!

Elapsed time = 29 days! :D

Now we're dual-wielding (FL and LA permits) though as you know, the FL won't be honored in LA as of the 15th.

cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    Now we're dual-wielding (FL and LA permits) though as you know, the FL won't be honored in LA as of the 15th.

Didn't know that! I'm active duty military stationed in FL but still a LA resident. I just mailed my application to BR today. I started to just get the FL permit since I thought it was valid in LA, and there seemed to be a slightly shorter wait time (even though the application process was about the same) but I just couldn't stand the thought of a FL permit next to my LA drivers license! Im moving back to LA for good next month and now I'm glad I decided to go with their permit...that would have been a waste, as I never plan on setting foot in FL again :eek:

Last edited:

Corregidor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2007
    Cenla
    Mailed mine in on the 27th of June and it came in the mail yesterday. My wife sent hers the same day, but no news yet...hopefully it will be there this afternoon. Still 46 days wasn't bad.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Went to LSP on July 12. Both of us got fingerprinted and submitted our stuff on the spot. We had money orders, proper photos, triple-checked that everything was in order, etc. We were completely done and out of there in 30 minutes, and this was at lunchtime!

I figured it would take extra long, partly due to the fact that we lived in GA for 2 months after Katrina. I was wrong.

Both CHP's came in the mail today!

Elapsed time = 29 days! :D

I turned all my stuff in on 15 July and it was really quick. I had an elderly couple in front of me, but I was still in and out in less than an hour, probably closer to 45 minutes. Very impressed with how quick the process was.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Springhill
    Mailed mine to BR (with digital prints) 6/6. Confirmed receipt 6/8. Still waiting, although haven't been notified thus far of any problems. Since I had digital prints, I was expecting approval by now...... How difficult is it to contact them to check on the status?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm looking to take a chl course possibly next weekend. What is the turnaround time? 60-90 days? Sooner? Are they backed up? I'm hoping to get it before the end of August (when my Texas out of state residence license is no longer recognized)

I believe mine took roughly 1 month, give or take a few weeks, from the date that I mailed it.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    How is it packaged when it comes in? Is it just in a regular sized envelope or is it in a bigger package, like the size of a magazine or something? I live in an apartment and pretty much anything in an envelope the size of a magazine or bigger is sent to my front office and I never receive notification that it's there, since USPS sucks like that. The one time I did get notification of a non-trackable package being there, it was from the office telling me that it had been there for like 15 days and was about to be sent back to sender.

Also, update to turnaround time: I just gave the CHP unit a quick call and my app was approved yesterday. Lady said that it should be mailed out on Monday or Tuesday. That will put me right at the 6 week timeframe.

Last edited:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    How is it packaged when it comes in? Is it just in a regular sized envelope or is it in a bigger package, like the size of a magazine or something?

Ours came in manila/yellowish envelopes that were flat and about 7" x 4" in size. Nothing in the envelopes but the permits themselves.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    OK, so I'll be looking in my mailbox and not the management office. I hate that USPS doesn't leave doortags on my door...EVER. I've seen them on my neighbors door several times, but they seem to hate me for some reason.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    IMG_20100901_082530.jpg

Here you go.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member