What it takes to make SF AR?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I have a 5.45 AR. What would it take to make it select fire (3rd, full, semi)? I am asking dollar wise, legal wise, parts wise, and time wise.

Thanks in advance

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    http://www.preventtyranny.com/guns_1986_fopa.htm

ETA: Specifically:

• Prohibits civilians from possessing full-auto firearms manufactured after May 19, 1986.
    • Redefines 'machine gun' to include those sets of parts or parts that could be used to convert a semiautomatic firearm into a machine gun.

The latter is why LL and RDIAS (Lightning Link & Registered Drop In Auto Sears) are also transferrable items although they are not receivers.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    but a Lightning Link won't be Select Fire, it's full auto until you take it out. well that's what i thought. i don't think you'll get 3 round burst out of any of those. i think you'll get SAFE, SEMI, AUTO. it's not like an MP5 or some other HK's.

LL's have been running around $6-8k, and RDIAS about $2k above that. You'll still need a full auto fire control group i believe. but i'm not certain. i'd just get a registered receiver and call it a day. but those run for even more. a Colt is ~$16k.

keep in mind, the paddles on the LL may have be serviced if you're going to shoot it a lot. i think most people lean towards the RDIAS or the RR (registered receiver)

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Not entirely wrong; anyone can have one with a tax stamp... And 20 grand.

Not positive on the 5.45, but a 5.56 will also a require an auto/M16 BCG, although they are inexpensive. I have them in all of my ARs anyway, and no select fire for me.

On a side note (and not suggesting anything, just curious)-- don't they sell unregistered autosears as paperweights or something? Heard that recently, wondered if it was BS or a myth or something.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Not entirely wrong; anyone can have one with a tax stamp... And 20 grand.

Not positive on the 5.45, but a 5.56 will also a require an auto/M16 BCG, although they are inexpensive. I have them in all of my ARs anyway, and no select fire for me.

On a side note (and not suggesting anything, just curious)-- don't they sell unregistered autosears as paperweights or something? Heard that recently, wondered if it was BS or a myth or something.

kvar sells auto sears for ak's. and the other parts to make an ak F/A

dont know why theyd sell them if theyre illegal to use

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16760&cat=0&page=1

Last edited:

VincentBuckles

Mesa Kinetic
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    a lot of companies sell full auto parts because if you have a manufacturers FFL with the propper SOT, it is perfectly legal to produce a post 86 dealer sample. i'm not going to explain the whole process of that but it still doesnt mean the average joe is allowed to do it.

anyone can own a civillian transferable machine gun with a tax stamp. that means it was a non dealer sample produced or converted before 1986.

i would never suggest ordering any of those parts without the proper credentials as you may find yourself with a shiny new set of silver bracelets.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    truth.

If you want to play with full auto, go to fun shoots. Other people are all to willing to let you shoot theirs.

The 5.56 and 5.45 are so easy to shoot, I don't see the point of full auto unless you are facing a charging horde OF LAWYERSand laying down cover fire. You can EASILY pull the rifle in an put 4-9 rounds on target per second at self defense distances, depending on the range.

Fixed it for ya...

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    Get a tac or hellfire trigger and call it a day. They just help you bumpfire. If you have the cash for a m-16 get one. The price will always be going up. In 1984 my fullauto m-11 would cost 250.00 +200.00 for tax stamp. Now they are 3000.00 + 200.00 tax stamp. The m-11 is the cheapest full auto you can get. Add 1000.00 in a lage slowfire upper and you are good to go

Top Bottom