what kind of belt are you guys riding your gear on?...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    just curious as to what you guys are using to support your gear on...i took an hour or two to read reviews and watch youtube videos on different gun belts the other day and came across a belt called the last chance heavy duty belt by a company called bison designs...its an instructor style belt, uber sturdy and appears to be made pretty well...the best part is theyre less than $25 and cabelas is a dealer...i picked one up yesterday n im loving it so far...just thought id share...

link to their site...
    http://www.bisondesigns.com/

youtube review that persuaded me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEZH6er2K8

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Wilderness Instructor Belt, 5-stitch.

Bought one 2 years ago to try out and haven't found a reason to switch yet. The only complaint I had was the weight of the buckle, which was solved when I celebrated me and the belt's two year anniversary by ordering the Titanium model. :D

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I just can't wear a nylon belt.

Someone is working for free on that heavy duty model. Two layers, 3 rows of stitching, plus the Velcro and Boxes on the end and a retail of $24, someone is getting paid very little to make that belt. If I where looking for a belt like that I would buy that one before I made one for myself. I might buy one as a base to a custom competition belt with a leather outer layer...

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Looking at the Bison stuff, I'd doubt it's made in the USA, or the materials are cheap. Like kcinnick said, it's really *too* cheap. Maybe not a bad way to go if you are on a strict budget, but personally I buy once and cry once. Your belt is as, if not more important than the holster in regards to carry comfort and stability. Not something to skimp on, and $40-50 for a decent gun belt is a very small investment for such an important item. A Wilderness belt or quality leather belt should last years and years.

mr.z28

learning...
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    BR, LA
    5.11 Tactical Operator belt. It was fairly inexpensive and has held up well for over a year.

cabelas carries those as well...i looked at them while i was there...i can say the main difference is the buckle weight...the bison design buckle is aluminum, not sure what the 5.11 is but its significantly heavier...i guess folks would say either is an advantage according to their preference...

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I just can't wear a nylon belt.

Someone is working for free on that heavy duty model. Two layers, 3 rows of stitching, plus the Velcro and Boxes on the end and a retail of $24, someone is getting paid very little to make that belt. If I where looking for a belt like that I would buy that one before I made one for myself. I might buy one as a base to a custom competition belt with a leather outer layer...

That would be the Chinese.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Buy American, Better yet, buy Louisianian! What kind of cheap leather do they use to sell a belt for $20? I know I buy some of the most expensive leather in the world to make my products, but it is also widely considered the best in the world. The description says bridle leather, but I guarantee it is not true bridle leather, probably some Asian knock off. I kind of like to be able to tell people where my stuff comes from. My leather if from St. Louis, MO, thread is from Brazil (Best I could find, the US stuff I tried out would fray quickly), buckles are Amish designed, but even they outsource, they are poured in Malaysia. Screws and other small items are hard to track down the origin on.

I have been using this belt over a year. It is 1/4" thick, two layers stiched together with 3/4" hole spacing. I hang a 1911 and mag pouch on it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...=13&Ntt=belt&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have worn the same Ross Gunleather Belts, one black, one brown for 15 years. I would like to switch to belt like the Liger but I don't trust the buckles.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Wilderness Instructor Belt, 5-stitch.

Bought one 2 years ago to try out and haven't found a reason to switch yet. The only complaint I had was the weight of the buckle, which was solved when I celebrated me and the belt's two year anniversary by ordering the Titanium model. :D
    This^.
    Dropped that summanuhbitch on the top of my bare foot one morning! :mad: :curse:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I use a leather belt that was built by the guy who does the saddles and other horse gear that my father uses for Tennessee walking horses. When my Dad asked what I wanted for a Cristmas present I told him a good, heavy belt that I can wear with my jeans or work slacks and which will hold my holsterd pistol securely. The belt doesn't have a stiffener or insert but is quite thick and holds my gun well.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Im using a wilderness tactical belt. I dont know what version, Ive had it for a couple years now and its still good.

Id love to get a cobra belt of some sort, but have no reason to. Lately, Ive been interested in the Volund gearworks Atlas belt because it lays flat at the buckle. I hate big heavy buckles.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm telling you guys, the Wilderness Titanium is where it's at. When I drop my pants to go number two, they float to the ground as if carried by angels. No more cracked bathroom tiles or bruised forehead on my kid when he runs up for a hug.

Seems expensive, but considering most people don't bat an eye at an $80+ holster I don't see why the belt should be any different. Small investment for something that will last for years.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    I paid alot for a Milt Sparks leather belt about 4 years ago, it's a great belt but about 2 years ago I ordered a Wilderness belt and haven't even wore the Milt Sparks unless I dress up. Like speed said, my next belt will be the Titanium Wilderness.

Top Bottom