What outerwear do you use?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Talking about gear for hunting big game. Wetland hunting is a different story.

Wind resistance, water resistance and quiet are a must. Insulation is a bonus as you could layer if the other three criteria are met, but I usually like to buy gear that will keep me warm with only a base layer down to about 20 degrees. I like my insulated Cabela's Dry Plus fleece gear but it hasn't been tested in the rain yet and collects plenty of bur. The MT050 line looks good but the price is up there.

What do you use or like?

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Talking about gear for hunting big game. Wetland hunting is a different story.

Wind resistance, water resistance and quiet are a must. Insulation is a bonus as you could layer if the other three criteria are met, but I usually like to buy gear that will keep me warm with only a base layer down to about 20 degrees. I like my insulated Cabela's Dry Plus fleece gear but it hasn't been tested in the rain yet and collects plenty of bur. The MT050 line looks good but the price is up there.

What do you use or like?

If you want top quality try SITKA. Even though the hunting that goes on around here doesn't require anything close that caliber of quality.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    I use whatever camo academy sells as base layers and i have a parka and bib set i bought from bass pro for the really cold days. I hunt north of monroe. The coldest is gets is probably around 35 degrees and thats for only a couple days a year.

quigleysharps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Kansas
    Most of the time I just use my Carhartts. Course when that north wind is really howling I'll throw on my old Columbia wetlands camo to stay warm.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I still use the same M60 (w/liner), that I got over 20 years ago, though I am getting a little bigger around the belly; it's starting to wear a bit; and I really want to try the latest generation of ECWS next time around.

And woodland camo too, with heavy doses of Scotchgaurd! Old skool, ma' *****'s!

Say what you want about the military, these M60's were the ****! I bought almost all of my cold weather hunting gear from a military PX, or from one of the military supply magazines.

6500181309p

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    2 seasons ago my insulated outerwear was stolen from my hunting camp so I recently had to buy new stuff. Can't remember the brand name of the original stuff but it was pricey and came from Bowie's. Never loved it because it was so bulky that I hated wearing the bibs. When it came time to replace it I waited till the MT050 stuff went on sale and picked up the Parka for $229. A few months later Bass Pro had a big sale going and I got their top of the line thinsulate/bone dry bibs for $79. I'm a cold weather wuss so I consider this money well spent. The new stuff is lighter and warmer than the old. With a good base layer (right now I use under armour 4.0 when its really cold and will be picking up some Patagonia Capaline soon) and a fleece vest for a mid layer, I'm good for anything South LA can throw at me. Of course a hat is probably the most important piece. Currently using an Arctic Shield Beenie. One thing I love about the MT050 parka is that its hood is the first one I've ever had thats comfortable to wear and doesn't impare my vision. If your head and neck are toasty it goes a long way towards keeping you warm.

Top Bottom