What should my next carry piece be? Need advice.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    So I currently carry an M&P40c. I have made the rounds through m&p then Glocks tried a couple XDs and finally came back to my 40c because it is what I shot best and felt confident in. I also have a full size M&P 40 that is like new, only has seen 30rds. I bought it for a range shooter and SD bedside table gun, but tend to only shoot with my 40c because I shoot it just as well and want as much practice as possible with my EDC. Here's my question, I will be looking to sell the full size as it gets no use and looking for something smaller for when I'm in a hurry and the 40c is a little too bulky with certain clothing. I am torn between the Lc9, the shield, and the kahr CM9. Anyone have any experience with the 3 or maybe another that I'm overlooking that would serve the same niche?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    My thoughts were the same, just wasn't sure that the longer length would solve the problem I'm trying to solve. The shield is the only one I haven't been able to get my hands on the test.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    What about the Compact is too bulky? And what specific situations are you looking for something "smaller"?

I carry a 45 FS with X300 every day, so the Shield basically feels like it gets lost when I put it on... That said, it's long in the grip comparatively speaking-- though not dramatically so with the non-extended mag.

jjb5730

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Pierre Part
    Sometimes when I'm in nike running shorts or basketball shorts the compact is a little heavy to through the holster on and to go to the store or run a quick errand. Its pretty much disappears when in jeans, dress pants or cargo shorts. Like mentioned, looking for quick pocket carry and can be shared with the wife as a purse gun.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Before you think about the other two you mentioned, try the shield. Like speed said, it is the obvious and logical choice. You'll be amazed how thin it is and it weighs nothing practically. I'm not a big fan of pocket guns thus I carry guns that will actually fit my hand and control nicely. My clothing nowadays actually is dictated by what I carry. I live in a violent city so taking options that would compromise my level of safety is a big concern. I carry a G26 and some people complain that it can feel like as brick during extended carry, but there are quality holsters out there that can solve that problem. The M&Pc is slightly bigger than the 26 in length but is also slightly thinner. I would go with the Shield if you must have something smaller.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    Haven't carried the kahr or shield although I've heard a lot of good things about the shield. However I've been carring the LC9 for a little over a year now and have been totally pleased with it. Good price, good shooter, and all around good carry peice, IMHO!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If sheer weight is your only concern, I can say without question that the Shield is going to be vastly lighter than the 40c.

As for sticking it in a pocket, I suppose it depends on your wardrobe. If you're a "skinny jean" type, it's going to be a bit tough to get it out at speed; perhaps the same could be said for tailored pants/slacks, if that's part of your work dress. The typically generous pockets in cargo pants/shorts and more relaxed jeans shouldn't give you any trouble, though-- and it'll do fine in all but your wife's most tiny purses and pocket books.

As to the .40...

Any way you slice it, this is a small single stack pistol. Typically, that means at least two very key disadvantages over even your Compact pistol: drastically limited capacity, and more difficulty in shooting it "well" (typically in regards to recoil management). By design, the Shield is probably the best little pistol out there in the second category; it shoots more like a full sized gun-- especially in 9mm.

I'm loathe to start a caliber conversation, but .40 Short & Weak is... well... meh, especially in this little package. You only lose one round of capacity compared to the 9mm iteration (using the same sized magazine), but that amounts to a 14% reduction nonetheless. Most importantly, you've got a notably flippier cartridge in a tiny pistol and gain essentially nothing in regards to terminal ballistics. I'm sure somewhere it's claimed that the .40 Shield exists for the sake of offering LEO a BUG in their duty caliber-- but for the civilian market, it's more of a sales gimmick (as there aren't many handguns of such size offered in that chambering). I would strongly suggest the 9mm in light of all of this-- especially if your wife will be carrying the pistol. Though you both may be confident in your abilities with the .40, I can guarantee that putting (any) two firearms of the same design to the hits-and-timer test would illustrate my point-- even more dramatically when you shrink the weapon's size down to that of the Shield.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have a shield in 9mm you are more than welcome to try.

She is by no means a pocket gun though, but when compared to the compact there is a good amount of weight difference

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My two go-to guns when I just want to throw them in a pocket (with Nemesis pocket holster) is a Kahr MK9 Elite and a S&W 642. Both are comfortable to me.

Top Bottom