What the police would like you to know...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    I worked closely with law enforcement personnel at a state agency. One thing I did learn from them was that they were all extremely sensitive about what kind of assignments they were working, or what type of law enforcement tasks they were charged with carrying out. There were some serious considerations and competition between them regarding the type of cases they worked, the duties they were given, etc. These issues were between their immediate co-workers, their counterparts in other parts of the department, and even more so with external law enforcement agencies. Most professionals are similarly competitive, it's not just a law enforcement thing.

But I'm mentioning this just to ask if traffic control, especially manually directing traffic, is one of those law enforcement tasks that officers consider demeaning. Is it one of the tasks that fellow officers look down on or ridicule each other about? I know it can certainly be dangerous to stand in the middle of an intersection, with ignorant, confused, or distracted drivers passing by close to you. But it obviously doesn't involve the more challenging aspects of law enforcement or crime. Does that have something to do with the disappearance of this activity in larger municipal departments?

RagManBR

Have gun, will travel.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    You usually don't see cops at intersections anymore because there are too few of us to handle what calls for service there are. Also, have you seen how bad the people of BR drive. A cop's life is not worth saving some jack off 30 seconds on his commute time. Be patient or learn a different route home.

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    I worked closely with law enforcement personnel at a state agency. One thing I did learn from them was that they were all extremely sensitive about what kind of assignments they were working, or what type of law enforcement tasks they were charged with carrying out. There were some serious considerations and competition between them regarding the type of cases they worked, the duties they were given, etc. These issues were between their immediate co-workers, their counterparts in other parts of the department, and even more so with external law enforcement agencies. Most professionals are similarly competitive, it's not just a law enforcement thing.

But I'm mentioning this just to ask if traffic control, especially manually directing traffic, is one of those law enforcement tasks that officers consider demeaning. Is it one of the tasks that fellow officers look down on or ridicule each other about? I know it can certainly be dangerous to stand in the middle of an intersection, with ignorant, confused, or distracted drivers passing by close to you. But it obviously doesn't involve the more challenging aspects of law enforcement or crime. Does that have something to do with the disappearance of this activity in larger municipal departments?

What's probably demeaning is a domestic call where they realize they've gone to this residence time after time for the same tired scenario where the combined household IQ is 80.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    You are a very wise person, Please run for President,

I will vote for you.....
    What cops would like the public to know.....
    When you see an emergency vehicle behind you with its lights and sirens on, pull to the RIGHT, and Stop. We are usually required to pass cars on the left.

Police are not required to use a lesser level of force on the perpetrator to get him to comply they get to use an equal or greater amount of force. Namely they don't have to follow Queensbury rules when fighting with someone and it's silly to expect them to do so.

When you're driving in the fast lane and you see a cop behind you, don't go 5 mph under the speed limit. We are not impressed by how safe of a driver you can be, we're trying to go help someone (or catch that guy in the SUV that just cut you off). Safely move over and let us pass please.

If you get a warning instead of a ticket from a motorcycle cop, go buy a lottery ticket, because you've already beaten the odds.

When you see an officer conducting a traffic stop, or with a suspect in handcuffs, it is generally not a good idea to approach him and ask for directions. If you do, don't expect the officer to be nice when he tells you to get lost, and don't expect the officer to take the time to explain.

If you think you can fan all the pot smoke out of the car before we smell it, good luck.

We know you've had more than 2 beers. When I've had two beers, I didn't hit six parked cars or drive my car through the front doors of a Toys-R-Us, pissed my pants, or passed out at a traffic light.

Here's how to get out of a ticket. don't break the law.

If you drive a piece of crap, that is why you're getting pulled over.

In one week I pulled over 40 cars for minor equipment violations.
    12 out of 40 had no vehicle insurance.
    7 out of 40 had suspended driver's licenses.
    4 out of 40 had warrants.
    1 out of 40 had felony warrants.
    1 was a known sex offender with his 12 year old niece in the car
    20 were let go with verbal warnings

If you've just been pulled over doing 70 in a 35, do not greet the officer with "what seems to be the problem, officer".

We get coffee breaks too.

When you're the victim of a burglary, take the time you spend waiting for the officer to find the model #˜s and the serial #˜s of the stuff that was taken.

Do not drag the body in your house after you shoot someone threatening you in your yard.

Some cops are just jerks, but take heart in the fact that other cops don't like them either.

If it's nighttime! and you re driving a vehicle with tinted windows and I pull you over, it's not because of your skin color. I usually can't tell if the vehicle even has a driver until the windows rolled down.

Every time you hear on the news about people running away from a crazed gunman, someone's son or daughter in a police uniform is running TOWARD that crazed gunman.

Yes it's true, cops usually don't give other cops tickets. Think of it as an employee discount, perk or benefit. Other Cops are family and you wouldn't give your brother a ticket if you were a cop either

If your local police agency has a helicopter everyone knows it's loud and annoying, but did you know it can cover the same area as 15-20 patrol officers, and safely chase criminals that are driving 90 MPH through city streets. Many times the guy has no idea it's there and slows down.

Your 5 year old kid getting pushed down by another 5 year old kid is NOT a police matter; talk to the other kid's parents, not the police.

If your kid won't do his homework or do his chores, 911 is not the answer for a uniformed parent.

Police work is...writing reports.

If you rob a gas station you're only going to get $20, but I get to see a K-9 dog use your arm as a chew toy. For all I care you can keep the $20.

In 1 year of patrol work in a large city only about 10 minutes would be cool enough to be on the television show! COPS. But if COPS was about report writing and accident reports each show would be a year long.

Every traffic stop could end in gunfire, but we have to be polite and professional until that time.

I've taken about the same amount of men and women to jail for domestic violence, so NO, it's not always the man.

If you find crack pipes in the lady's purse/man's pants, there is a good chance they belong to her/him.

If the light was yellow, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

When the officer is manually directing traffic at a busy intersection (due to accidents, downed lights, whatever) he or she cannot drop what they are doing to give you directions to Chuck E. Cheese. Don't be offended if you get a less-than-polite command to continue through the intersection. I'm sure the guy at the gas station a half a block away can help you without stopping traffic on an already backed-up highway.

When you see me; if you tell your kids that the police will take them away because they are whining in a store what message does that give your kids? Not just about the police but about you?

CSI is a TV show and everything to do with entertainment and not to much with the reality of Police work.

Yes the pistol in my holster is real, I don't find it funny when you ask me how many people I've killed and yes, I would go through hell and high water to save your ass although I may be muttering that you were a simpleton for getting yourself into this dangerous position in the first place.

When you walk into any business establishment, and someone has to say "I didn't do it!" It was only funny the first twenty-thousand times, now knock it off!

When I finally get a chance to eat don’t be the someone who says "Who's out there catching all the bad guys?" In all likelihood the officer will have to take his meal “to go” due to a call after which he will get to finally eat the food he ordered 5 hours later and cold. If he is lucky enough to be able to sit down and actually eat his meal hot the last thing he wants is for you to give him **** thinly disguised as humor.

Cops know you pay taxes and that your taxes pay cops' salaries. Cops also pay taxes, which also pay cops' salaries so, hey, this traffic stop is on me. Now sign here, press hard; there are five copies.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    What cops would like the public to know.....
    When you see an emergency vehicle behind you with its lights and sirens on, pull to the RIGHT, and Stop. We are usually required to pass cars on the left.

Police are not required to use a lesser level of force on the perpetrator to get him to comply they get to use an equal or greater amount of force. Namely they don't have to follow Queensbury rules when fighting with someone and it's silly to expect them to do so.

When you're driving in the fast lane and you see a cop behind you, don't go 5 mph under the speed limit. We are not impressed by how safe of a driver you can be, we're trying to go help someone (or catch that guy in the SUV that just cut you off). Safely move over and let us pass please.

If you get a warning instead of a ticket from a motorcycle cop, go buy a lottery ticket, because you've already beaten the odds.

When you see an officer conducting a traffic stop, or with a suspect in handcuffs, it is generally not a good idea to approach him and ask for directions. If you do, don't expect the officer to be nice when he tells you to get lost, and don't expect the officer to take the time to explain.

If you think you can fan all the pot smoke out of the car before we smell it, good luck.

We know you've had more than 2 beers. When I've had two beers, I didn't hit six parked cars or drive my car through the front doors of a Toys-R-Us, pissed my pants, or passed out at a traffic light.

Here's how to get out of a ticket. don't break the law.

If you drive a piece of crap, that is why you're getting pulled over.

In one week I pulled over 40 cars for minor equipment violations.
    12 out of 40 had no vehicle insurance.
    7 out of 40 had suspended driver's licenses.
    4 out of 40 had warrants.
    1 out of 40 had felony warrants.
    1 was a known sex offender with his 12 year old niece in the car
    20 were let go with verbal warnings

If you've just been pulled over doing 70 in a 35, do not greet the officer with "what seems to be the problem, officer".

We get coffee breaks too.

When you're the victim of a burglary, take the time you spend waiting for the officer to find the model #˜s and the serial #˜s of the stuff that was taken.

Do not drag the body in your house after you shoot someone threatening you in your yard.

Some cops are just jerks, but take heart in the fact that other cops don't like them either.

If it's nighttime! and you re driving a vehicle with tinted windows and I pull you over, it's not because of your skin color. I usually can't tell if the vehicle even has a driver until the windows rolled down.

Every time you hear on the news about people running away from a crazed gunman, someone's son or daughter in a police uniform is running TOWARD that crazed gunman.

Yes it's true, cops usually don't give other cops tickets. Think of it as an employee discount, perk or benefit. Other Cops are family and you wouldn't give your brother a ticket if you were a cop either

If your local police agency has a helicopter everyone knows it's loud and annoying, but did you know it can cover the same area as 15-20 patrol officers, and safely chase criminals that are driving 90 MPH through city streets. Many times the guy has no idea it's there and slows down.

Your 5 year old kid getting pushed down by another 5 year old kid is NOT a police matter; talk to the other kid's parents, not the police.

If your kid won't do his homework or do his chores, 911 is not the answer for a uniformed parent.

Police work is...writing reports.

If you rob a gas station you're only going to get $20, but I get to see a K-9 dog use your arm as a chew toy. For all I care you can keep the $20.

In 1 year of patrol work in a large city only about 10 minutes would be cool enough to be on the television show! COPS. But if COPS was about report writing and accident reports each show would be a year long.

Every traffic stop could end in gunfire, but we have to be polite and professional until that time.

I've taken about the same amount of men and women to jail for domestic violence, so NO, it's not always the man.

If you find crack pipes in the lady's purse/man's pants, there is a good chance they belong to her/him.

If the light was yellow, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

When the officer is manually directing traffic at a busy intersection (due to accidents, downed lights, whatever) he or she cannot drop what they are doing to give you directions to Chuck E. Cheese. Don't be offended if you get a less-than-polite command to continue through the intersection. I'm sure the guy at the gas station a half a block away can help you without stopping traffic on an already backed-up highway.

When you see me; if you tell your kids that the police will take them away because they are whining in a store what message does that give your kids? Not just about the police but about you?

CSI is a TV show and everything to do with entertainment and not to much with the reality of Police work.

Yes the pistol in my holster is real, I don't find it funny when you ask me how many people I've killed and yes, I would go through hell and high water to save your ass although I may be muttering that you were a simpleton for getting yourself into this dangerous position in the first place.

When you walk into any business establishment, and someone has to say "I didn't do it!" It was only funny the first twenty-thousand times, now knock it off!

When I finally get a chance to eat don’t be the someone who says "Who's out there catching all the bad guys?" In all likelihood the officer will have to take his meal “to go” due to a call after which he will get to finally eat the food he ordered 5 hours later and cold. If he is lucky enough to be able to sit down and actually eat his meal hot the last thing he wants is for you to give him **** thinly disguised as humor.

Cops know you pay taxes and that your taxes pay cops' salaries. Cops also pay taxes, which also pay cops' salaries so, hey, this traffic stop is on me. Now sign here, press hard; there are five copies.

Several things here resonated.

I have been pulled over for driving a cheap car with dark Windows before. They almost looked sorry when they saw that I wasn't a thugs, but I still got the ticket because it was rookie training day.

Motorcycle cops have stoopid good vision. One saw my expired sticker and no, I did not get out of it until I went to court.

He was an ass and although he was polite with me, I knew he was. He sT all by himself in court and played on his phone while his co workers socialized with one another. I did some digging and yea, noone I knew liked him.

I have never! Gotten a ticket for speeding to get out of a cop's way. That five under crap when they are blocked in behind you has to be annoying as hell to them.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You usually don't see cops at intersections anymore because there are too few of us to handle what calls for service there are. Also, have you seen how bad the people of BR drive. A cop's life is not worth saving some jack off 30 seconds on his commute time. Be patient or learn a different route home.
    I see it nearly every month here. If a light is out, there are cops. It's a given. Obviously ymmv depending on location.

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA

I know your job is not to streamline people's commutes. But at an intersection like Airline/Interline, with about a dozen lanes of traffic all trying to negotiate a 100 foot wide intersection, it seems like manual traffic direction is about a lot more than commute times. If there is manpower to work stop signs on service roads (where I've never been stopped or ticketed, so no sour grapes), I would think there is manpower enough to work a major intersection for 30 minutes or so. It's clear that manual traffic direction in BR is basically a thing of the past. Since it was mentioned as in the OP as a task too important to be interrupted, I thought it was a good opportunity to ask why something of such importance is no longer carried out here. So, it seems like you are saying that it's a waste of an officer's time to supervise and direct drivers in an identified hazardous driving situation. Are you also saying that there is no way to conduct manual traffic control without unacceptable risks to officers' safety?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    So when I see a unit approaching with lights and siren on I need to slow down and pull to the left. I'm also going to wave my pistol at him because my CCP says I'm required by law to let him know I'm armed.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I think this thread was long overdue. I have lots of LEO friends and they all have a job to do. They rank right up there with teachers in the fact that they certainly don't do it for the money. Kudos to all you LEOs for keeping us safe.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA

As long as your in good shape and not sporting a BMI of 45 then I can comply with this otherwise.....

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    So here are some additions
    :
    Police suffer startling rudeness from people who would never consider saying whatever it is they are presently saying to the officer to any other person on the planet.

..and to clarify, since humor is so hard to come by here: If your driving a crappy car you generally are a collection of mechanical violations ergo...you'll be stopped for your car being crap.

lighten-up-anyone-touches-my-stuff-and-i-ll-kill-you-demotivational-poster-1253664846.jpg

Last edited:

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    LSP 972,
    I never assumed or expected that one officer could manually direct traffic at a major intersection like Airline/Interline. I would expect that if manual traffic direction was still considered an important duty, that training and procedures would be in place to put a team of officers in a situation like this to first prevent accidents at the intersection and second, to relieve a traffic backup that was reaching all the way back to Coursey and Bluebonnet. On these major thoroughfares, the Airline backup caused turn lanes onto Airline to back up into travel lanes, creating hazardous conditions on those streets as well. Luckily, I don't have to travel in BR rush hour as often as I used to. And I don't expect the police department to be considered as human backups to every failure of DPW. But I have been involved in several major traffic incidents that put drivers (even the good ones) in danger, and don't recall ever seeing manual traffic direction in effect. I know there must be more than meets the eye in this situation, and that is why I've asked the question.

And, the mysterious state agency was not State Police. It was another agency, in which law enforcement was a small, but influential contingent. And for the record here, and to repeat something I'm sure you are well aware of, practically every one of those officers belittled State Police on regular basis. Whether their motivation was jealousy, self-promotion, ego or whatever, every one of them that I interacted with, as well as the parish and local officers that they cooperated with, were always comparing and contrasting their abilities, importance and effectiveness with other agencies. The good news is that, when it was time to perform their duties, cooperation with all of these other enforcement officers resulted in impressive and successful law enforcement results. It is clear to me that law enforcement demands dedicated professionals, who are motivated by different factors than other professions. I realize that this competitiveness and determination is a common denominator. That's why I posed the question about traffic direction being a duty that is looked down upon internally, and wondered whether the distaste for it has become institutionalized, resulting in its decline as a common activity.

I understand your sympathy for fellow officers who must face hazardous and difficult situations. Though I don't share their experiences like you do, I also sympathize with the officers who deal with all of the things listed in the OP, and the countless more that aren't included in this thread. And just like all of us, I expect some defensiveness and self-righteousness when officers are criticized by the public for the way they conduct themselves, whether that criticism is ludicrous or has some basis in truth.

Last edited:

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    Life goes on... the difference between professionals and amateurs.

Plainclothes guys, as a rule, "look down" on uniformed guys... except those plainclothes guys who didn't forget where they came from. So, to answer your question... no, directing traffic per se is not considered "demeaning". Working the road (or the street) is considered "lesser duty" by some who don't.

But I think the REAL question you're asking is; do cops routinely shirk directing traffic? I would say no.

I appreciate and understand your take on the plainclothes/uniformed/road duty distinctions in law enforcement. I also realize that limited resources and expanded responsibilities have blurred the line between traditional enforcement roles. It is only natural for an officer with responsibilities from menial to rewarding to gravitate towards working the rewarding aspects of their job. And I have seen firsthand how this can result in an evolution away from traditional duties that results in greater achievements in some important areas, but often at the expense of still valuable and needed services on the other end of their job descriptions.

Thanks for letting me jump in on this LEO forum and for discussing my questions openly and honestly.

Just A Number

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Also let me throw this in the mix of who does what to whom. Airline is a State highway some of the side streets are also State routes and some of them are City or Parish routes. Simple right? Whose problem is it? State Police are constantly short staffed but its their route. City and Sheriff are also constantly short staffed and its not their route. For every two lanes of traffic IN EACH DIRECTION you need at least one officer now do me some math on how many it takes to run just that one intersection. Then further ponder how many officers may or may not be on shift at any one sub-station at any given time. You'd be shocked and appalled at how few there are most of the time.

And no they don't shirk traffic duty it's just not something that has a positive cost/benefit ratio in the grand scheme of things.

Also gents, the post is meant in the most light-hearted of manner...try to have a frackin' sense of humor for a change, this place has been a drag lately what with all the predictable and frankly intellectually lazy boot stomping fascist dogma just wanted to throw out some stuff that might get you thinking about the other side of the coin for a change. I swear sometimes its like watching the frankenstein mob with torches and pitch forks running through the village around here. Always someone coming around to grind a personal axe unrelated to anything. No I'm not talking about this thread or anyone specific just a general malaise in the LE/MIL board.

Last edited:

killdee

Wanderer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    BR, LA
    For the disgruntled civilians who read this board, and are convinced that traffic stops are all about revenue generation, don't you think that instead of saying:

it's just not something that has a positive cost/benefit ratio in the grand scheme of things. /QUOTE]

you might want to say:

"it's not an efficient allocation of resources.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheMadKing504
    Top Bottom