What to buy?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headcase

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Metairie, LA.
    My 24 year old daughter wants to learn learn how to shoot and I thought a 22lr pistol would be the best to start with. I'm looking to buy a medium frame semi-auto such as a Walther P22. I have a 22mag longslide auto and numerous 9mm and larger pistols but think the loud report and muzzle jump would scare her. What I'm asking is the P22 a decent gun, quality and price wise. I see the Walther P22 is also marked Smith and Wesson on the slide. What's that about, did Smith buy Walther. :confused: It still says made in Germany on the slide too. Thanks, Brent

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    My mom finally got into the sport 3 years ago with a p22, she still loves it. It eats mini mags very well, and cycles with federal bulk decently but not as well as the mini mags. Glad you have the head on your shoulders to start her off with a 22 instead of the guys you see saying they need to start with a lightweight hi powered something or another. Just trains bad habits into them that are hard to remove. Also look into the ruger Mark III or Mark II. Great little pistols that will eat a lot of different rounds for a long long time with minimum maintenance other than cleaning.

nwmousegunner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Homer,La.
    I agree that starting with a .22. My wife prefers revolvers so I started her with light loaded target wad cutter .38 specials. That is what she still uses for practice. Good luck. Dave

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    The first handgun my wife ever shot was my Ruger MKll. then she started shooting a .32 7 shot revolver. She wanted to try an auto so she picked out a XDsub-compact .40 and a year later decided it wasn't for her now she just got a Sig 938 and couldn't be happier.

A .22 is always a great place to start be it a revolver or an auto. Then y'all just have to try and see what sticks.

saint451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Hammond
    Don't know much about the Walther but Smith and Wesson has some other fine 22lr's.

Maybe a sig sauer P226 classic 22lr...pricey at under 650.00, then purchase the 9mm conversion unit under 350.00 when she is comfortable. 2 handguns for 1000.00. Mags are expensive. I have this setup...along with a Browning buckmark...nice pistol, Taurus revolver 22lr (no mags and great to learn with), and a couple others.
    There are other 9mm's with conversion units for the 22lr, learn to shoot with a firearm she can grow into. 22lr semi's are easy to shoot, but get rough when they get dirty. 2 good things with that, learning to operate a semi with misc. failures to feed, eject, ect. and how to clean them, then they shoot fine again.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    My 24 year old daughter wants to learn learn how to shoot and I thought a 22lr pistol would be the best to start with. I'm looking to buy a medium frame semi-auto such as a Walther P22. I have a 22mag longslide auto and numerous 9mm and larger pistols but think the loud report and muzzle jump would scare her. What I'm asking is the P22 a decent gun, quality and price wise. I see the Walther P22 is also marked Smith and Wesson on the slide. What's that about, did Smith buy Walther. :confused: It still says made in Germany on the slide too. Thanks, Brent

I have read a lot about the P22 with very few negative comments. I just bought one earlier this week for my wife. I have only put one magazine through it but with those 10 shots it was a real sweet shooter! Taking in out tomorrow for the wife to shoot it for the first time.

Smith & Wesson has exclusive distribution rights to Walther in the U.S. meaning that any Walter firearm sold retail in the US is marked Smith and Wesson. However Wather is still the manufacturer of the gun.

rocketsteve

Florida Cracker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Nowhere
    A friend bought a P22 a few years ago and it was a reliable shooter when using anything but the cheapest ammo. The one fault I found with the gun was the sights. The front sight was standard pinned plastic with a white dot. The rear sight also had white dots, but the area that was notched for the front sight was too wide and you could see sunlight on either side of the front sight when all three dots were lined up.

Normal Sight Picture:
    esbset46iihdlnicbes.jpg

Walther P22 Sight Picture:
    vm88s57jxymahzxq1oj.jpg

Because of the P22's sight picture, windage accuracy will likely suffer as you increase the distance to your target.

If you aren't a huge stickler for accuracy, then I would recommend the P22. It's definitely a fun shooter. :thumbsup:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Twice now we have done a Women's Pistol Course. Both times women showed up with stupid guns men bought them. Both times we handed out 9mm Glocks. Both times most of the women replaced the guns their men bough with 9mm Glocks. Teach them to shoot a gun that matters.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Twice now we have done a Women's Pistol Course. Both times women showed up with stupid guns men bought them. Both times we handed out 9mm Glocks. Both times most of the women replaced the guns their men bough with 9mm Glocks. Teach them to shoot a gun that matters.

Bingo. GLOCK 26 or GLOCK 19
    I may be totally wrong but do they have a .22 conversion for these guns?? That would make good use too...

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond

Could not agree more. Glock 19 is an easy gun to learn on and is a gun that she can grow into skill set wise.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

I agree and I see this on a regular basis.

headcase

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Metairie, LA.
    She's handled my Glock 19 and my 27, converted to 9mm and doesn't like the fit , size or weight. She's handled her moms S&W 19 medium frame, round butt 38/357 with custom grips and my Ruger Single Six 22/22mag and my long slide AMT 22 AutoMag. All either too heavy, too big or too loud. She only wants to learn how to shoot and not be scared of a loud bang or sharp recoil. I don't have to be pushed too hard to buy another gun and to be able to spend a little quality time with her is worth the expense. It'll be in my safe when we're not using it. Just asking about the quality of the P22 cause it's the one she liked when she handled it at the Kenna Gun Show with me. We're looking for the one in the pink&camo frame. She's not going to conceal carry, I just want something she's comfortable with. Thanks for all the replies, especially the ladies. Thanks, Brent :)

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Did she have a chance to handle a Buckmark or a Ruger mark III?

I only ask because I have experience with these and both or good target .22 pistols that are also well known to be very reliable not to say what your looking at isn't but those two have served me and my wife both very well would hate for you not to explore them as options as well before making your final decision.

You can still girl them up...but it is reversible (the thought of pink camo in my safe makes me cringe) :mamoru:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom