What we stand to lose......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Forgive my spelling and grammar, it's late.

For once, let's take a hard look at what we really stand to lose this year. Feinstein's bill really has no chance of being successful, much less even being brought to a vote. Various lawmakers such as McCarthy are attacking standard capacity "Assault Magazines" but there is little logic in their argument and Democrats have nothing to gain by voting for it, but everything to lose when it comes to losing seats in the house and senate. The same case can be made for online ammunition sales. It is all just lose-lose legislation. So, what is our weakness? Where is our Achilles Heal? Our weakness is private firearm sales or rather, "The Gunshow Loophole" you hear all the liberals whining about ad nauseum. Although none of the gun grabbers can point to a single case where any of these evil "Assault Rifles" were bought in private sales and used in a crime, theoretically, it could happen. President Obama himself has included this in his Gun Control "To-Do-List" when responding to a White House petition he stated that "making sure criminals can't take advantage of legal loopholes to get their hands on a gun" is a priority.

Democrats have good memories. They remember the bloodbath that occurred after the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and are loathe to sacrifice any more seats on the the Altar of Gun Control. However, passing legislation that requires a federal background check anytime a firearm changes hands? Ensuring that these tools of death and destruction don't fall into the wrong hands? That's just the type of bipartisan, compromising, feel good legislation that any politician can get behind. You already have to pass a background check to buy a new firearm. Why shouldn't that apply to a person you are selling one to? It sounds good on the surface, right? It's even difficult for gun owners to argue, in fact I have heard several gun owners say, "well it won't be that bad if that's all they do." Here is the rub, not many gun owners have thought this through.

Private sales are not contributing to gun violence, it is just not a problem. So if it is not a problem, why are the gun grabbers so hot to fix it? The reason why is because before they are able to pass laws to ban firearms, they must first know who has what and how many. If you eliminate private sales and insist that a federal background check is performed every time a firearm changes hands, you have just created a de facto firearm registration. In a few years, as firearms change hands, they will be able to trace almost all firearms back to who had it last and who has it now. Coupled with a law to make it mandatory for a firearms owner to report lost or stolen firearms, suddenly that argument that "I lost them all in a boating accident" just doesn't hold water. It implements a backdoor firearm registration and it brings them one step closer to being able to confiscate them.

Your elected representatives may hold true when it comes to outright bans of firearms or magazines but will they toe the line when it comes to protecting private sales? It is time to let them know that compromising on ANY new gun control legislation will cost them their seat in Washington. It is time to let them know that we are not here to compromise on anything, that we have already compromised our rights enough.

Gentlemen, now is not a time to talk about compromise and show weakness to these people who would take our rights if given half a chance. We need to let them know that we are here to fight. They need to know that we intend to fight them tooth and nail until hell freezes over, then chase them back to hell and fight them on the goddamned ice.

You aren't in this fight unless you contact your representatives and POLITELY let them know that if they still want a chair when the music stops, they MUST VOTE NO on any new gun control legislation.

Last edited:
    J

jayd

You aren't in this fight unless you contact your representatives and POLITELY let them know that if they still want a chair when the music stops, they MUST VOTE NO on any new gun control legislation.

Get off yer arses and call. Even if you don't vote, call

Tinytitan

Is it loaded?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Boutte
    Even if the background check is approved there is no way to confirm the firearm has changed hands correct? It's just basically getting approval for the transaction to take place....therefore "he changed his mind" is a pretty good answer for me ;)

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Your elected representatives may hold true when it comes to outright bans of firearms or magazines but will they toe the line when it comes to protecting private sales? It is time to let them know that compromising on ANY new gun control legislation will cost them their seat in Washington.

That's easy to say and a noble idea, but just how is a majority to actually effect this gonna be reached? Yes, all members on this forum -- and then, only those who bother to read this thread -- will get the idea. But what about others that 1) aren't members or 2) won't bother to do anything? How did obama get re-elected?

I know he's a clown and YOU know he's a clown but there are many, many "low-information voters" (aka: MORONS!) that won't do a damn thing unless it pertains to their continuing to get free stuff from the gubmint. I will surely let my elected officials know my stance. But will my neighbor? Or his neighbor? Or yours...?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    That's easy to say and a noble idea, but just how is a majority to actually effect this gonna be reached? Yes, all members on this forum -- and then, only those who bother to read this thread -- will get the idea. But what about others that 1) aren't members or 2) won't bother to do anything? How did obama get re-elected?

I know he's a clown and YOU know he's a clown but there are many, many "low-information voters" (aka: MORONS!) that won't do a damn thing unless it pertains to their continuing to get free stuff from the gubmint. I will surely let my elected officials know my stance. But will my neighbor? Or his neighbor? Or yours...?

Remember though that a mid-term election is coming up next. The Democrats won't be bussing voters to the polls so they can vote for Obama and then vote democrat all the way across the board. Many democratic seats are vulnerable and historically only the angry or concerned voters show up in mass to vote. Remember also that this is Louisiana and our reps are especially vulnerable when it comes to gun control.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge

It's called "squeaky wheel gets the grease". You're right, the "low-information voters" won't be calling and writing their politicians because this issue is not important enough to them. We need to make sure the vast majority of input politicians receive is from those in our camp.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I disagree with you're first assessment on how feinsteins bill doesn't stand a chance.

Here's why. Yes the 94 assault weapon ban was allowed to expire because elected officials were afraid to lose their seats. And that is exactly why they will pass it this time IMO. They know the fabric of America has changed, the demographic has changed. Most people either don't care or want the ban to take place. I think they will pass it to keep their seats. Gun control is a hot topic now, it's trendy. Obama is trendy, hope and change is trendy. That's how Obama recieved his second term......the demographic has changed.
    We, people like minded like us on this site are the minority now. They know that and do not care what we think.

However, you're right about calling and emailing you're representatives. I just don't think you should dismiss the thought of the ban happening.

Last edited:

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I disagree with you're first assessment on how feinsteins bill doesn't stand a chance.

Here's why. Yes the 94 assault weapon ban was allowed to expire because elected officials were afraid to lose their seats. And that is exactly why they will pass it this time IMO. They know the fabric of America has changed, the demographic has changed. Most people either don't care or want the ban to take place. I think they will pass it to keep their seats. Gun control is a hot topic now, it's trendy. Obama is trendy, hope and change is trendy. That's how Obama recieved his second term......the demographic has changed.
    We, people like minded like us on this site are the minority now. They know that and do not care what we think.

However, you're right about calling and emailing you're representatives. I just don't think you should dismiss the thought of the ban happening.

Make up of the House and Senate is different now.

The RINOs who voted for it are gone. There are more pro 2A dems now as well.

It will not pass as it is written, which most things don't anyway.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Make up of the House and Senate is different now.

The RINOs who voted for it are gone. There are more pro 2A dems now as well.

It will not pass as it is written, which most things don't anyway.

I've got to agree on that one-- and not just in terms of who holds the seats.

Long story short, I've got a lot of liberal/Dem friends these days. An amazing amount are always asking to go shoot with me, have me teach them to shoot better, help them find a good deal on something, etc.

Those that aren't so interested in the firearms themselves, when pressed for their stance by others, speak rather openly about the stupid notions of "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" contributing to crime, violence or mass shootings. They are in fact a bit ticked off to be associated with members of that party that spout such nonsense, truth be told-- and agree that there are FAR more pertinent issues out there.

Now, are they as passionate about the subject as we are? Of course not. Would they vote out one of their reps SOLELY over the issue? Probably not. If two candidates were pretty much equal, and this one thing separated them, could it become a factor? ABSOLUTELY. And that's something that politicians consider-- especially when on the whole, their voters are against the notion in the first place.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I think they know they won't get it passed as proposed, but it's kinda like cops charging some dirtbag with every applicable offense when arresting him, and the DA then having all kinds of things to throw out along the way to get closer to a plea agreement. If they ask for the whole shebang, then reluctantly give up some parts in the supposed spirit of compromise, in the end they might still end up with some watered down version passing which is still too much and totally unnecessary and useless. You can bet they won't have anything about a sunset for the law in this go round. I think the big danger is that opposition will get to a point where they feel they have gutted enough of the bill and made enough of a stand that they can then do the bi-partisan thing and vote yes and still be seen as having fought the good fight.

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I agree with most of the arguments made so far, I would just add that the make up of the electorate is different now. The current 18-28 year old's have gone through what amounts to indoctrination mills as far as education goes. I can not tell you how many Micheal Moore films my daughter had to sit through in school. She had to sit through English classes where the professor lectured on the evils of capitalism and the benefits of Marxism. I have seen many of her friends whose parents were not involved get turned totally around by this. Many of them voted for Obama because of this new way of thinking. I have said it before and now is the time to get out of your comfort zone. Call Vitter, call Katrina Mary, call that commie in the fifth district. Let these people know that you are watching every move they make. When you have time e-mail house and senate members from other states. Make every call or e-mail count and go for the libs first, don't waste time preaching to the choir. These people don't read the mail they just look at the "for" and "against" numbers. They need to be deluged to change their mind about something.The one thing that every politician works on every day is his or her next election. They do not want to be pulled off the government teat.

ZingZang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Feinstein's proposals have been thought out with failure in mind -- they know all of it won't go through, but some of it will, and that's all they need. If only a small portion of their insane ideas go through it's just one more step closer to the total ban they envision for America. Personally, I have no faith in our career politicians to take a meaningful stand (in the Senate) or do what we want (in the House). None of them care about what's right, it's all about growing government and appealing to the lowest common denominators out there. That's how we got Obama a second time, and that's how we're going to lose our gun rights in a single generation.

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Feinstein's proposals have been thought out with failure in mind -- they know all of it won't go through, but some of it will, and that's all they need. If only a small portion of their insane ideas go through it's just one more step closer to the total ban they envision for America. Personally, I have no faith in our career politicians to take a meaningful stand (in the Senate) or do what we want (in the House). None of them care about what's right, it's all about growing government and appealing to the lowest common denominators out there. That's how we got Obama a second time, and that's how we're going to lose our gun rights in a single generation.

Sadly, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. Our leaders in Washington could care less about what the people that sent them there want, they only care about what will better their careers as politicians. But this hasn't stopped me from sending emails to each and every one of them.

ZingZang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Totally agree -- we can't sit back and just hope they do the right thing. Calling, emailing and even sending a postcard weekly to these dolts may just have some positive affect for us all.

Top Bottom