whats the best way to range and adjust scope for long range shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Looking the best way to range and how to adjust for the shoot at different ranges. I haven't shot over 300 yards in years and I'm very rusty.

Just need some tips and ideas to try.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The easiest way to range a target is with a laser range finder. You adjust the scope by turning the turret on top (called the elevation turret) to compensate for the amount of drop that the bullet you're shooting will fall at the distance that you ranged. That is the easiest and most efficient way to adjust a scope for long range shooting. Trust me. I've tried chanting to it, whispering sweet nothings into the objective....I've tried negative and positive reinforcement, but none of that works so don't let anyone tell you different. Direct stimulation of the turret is best...

tball65

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    West Monroe LA
    Info overload

Using and understanding Tactical Style Reticles, is the first sticky in this area of the forum. Read it and understand. It is very informative.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    As stated get a Laser Range Finder for distance.

For optics get something that has the ability of external adjustments. Vortex has a very good bang for the buck. I have turned 5 people to the Viper PST and we have shot them at distance and they track true. If you know the distance then with a good ballistics program will get you VERY close to actual numbers. Confirm those numbers by going shoot at distance. After that the up and down is a given. All that is left is to make your wind guess.

Dishonored stick to what you know. Spewing bad information is bad for everyone. Once you get past a few hundred yards you need to be more and more precise with target distance because the danger space is getting tighter all the time.

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    I recommend spending some time/money and go here:
    http://kmprecisionrifletraining.com/shop/basic_course/

I've been shooting a while and do work with optics all day every day and I still learned my money's worth.

But I'm agreed with Barney, get a good entry level scope like a Vortex PST, a laser range finder, and maybe even download a ballistic app on your smart phone. They are pretty simple to use. Range, compair to your dope card, dial/hold. That would be the easiest way to go I can think of.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville

For optics get something that has the ability of external adjustments. Vortex has a very good bang for the buck. I have turned 5 people to the Viper PST and we have shot them at distance and they track true. If you know the distance then with a good ballistics program will get you VERY close to actual numbers. Confirm those numbers by going shoot at distance. After that the up and down is a given. All that is left is to make your wind guess.

Dishonored stick to what you know. Spewing bad information is bad for everyone. Once you get past a few hundred yards you need to be more and more precise with target distance because the danger space is getting tighter all the time.

What I mentioned works for me. I have used it or else I wouldn't have said it.
    People were judging distance long before laser range finders.
    Now I know your some long range guru,
    and that's great, so you give your fantastic solutions and ill give my ole redneck hunting tricks.

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    The easiest way to range a target is with a laser range finder. You adjust the scope by turning the turret on top (called the elevation turret) to compensate for the amount of drop that the bullet you're shooting will fall at the distance that you ranged. That is the easiest and most efficient way to adjust a scope for long range shooting. Trust me. I've tried chanting to it, whispering sweet nothings into the objective....I've tried negative and positive reinforcement, but none of that works so don't let anyone tell you different. Direct stimulation of the turret is best...

I recommend spending some time/money and go here:
    http://kmprecisionrifletraining.com/shop/basic_course/

I've been shooting a while and do work with optics all day every day and I still learned my money's worth.

But I'm agreed with Barney, get a good entry level scope like a Vortex PST, a laser range finder, and maybe even download a ballistic app on your smart phone. They are pretty simple to use. Range, compair to your dope card, dial/hold. That would be the easiest way to go I can think of.

^^^^ this.

And if you don't have the money you can still learn to shoot precision out up to 600 yards for a lot less than $600. Just saying.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What exactly are you looking to do and at what range? Depending on who you talk to the term "long range" means different things. To a competitive shooter it means 800 to 1000 yards. To a hunter it may mean more than 300 yards. If you are talking about hunting under 500 yards, the solution may be different than wanting to shoot mid range or long range competition.

Your biggest issue will be learning to read the wind. A clinic with an experienced wind reader is a great start followed up by lots of shooting at distance. Competitive high power shooting in one of its many disciplines provides the opportunity to not only practice your skills but also to meet people with a great deal of knowledge about shooting.

I picked up one of the Vortex Viper PST scopes for one of my hunting rifles and really like it. It is worth checking out.

The best way to range is a laser range finder. To adjust, I have used both a custom ballistic reticle and externally adjustable elevation turrets. Both have pluses and minuses. The longer the range, the more I like the adjustable turret method.

Dan

Last edited:
    Top Bottom