What's the consequence of carrying in a private business' with a gun free zone?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I read a new article that said 2 officers where in the parking lot doing paperwork.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think you are correct. They were there for paperwork not a detail. I knew they were there just had the wrong reason lol. Sorry Ramsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I've actually been speaking with one of the State Representatives that I know personally and have expressed my concerns that I believe "self-imposed" gun-free zones are unconstitutional in regards to the Louisiana Constitution. I've also searched and can't find any law that allows businesses to "self-impose" gun-free zones. He plans to try and introduce legislation in the 2016 session that will label "self-imposed" gun-free zones as unconstitutional as per the Louisiana Constitution. This won't affect actual gun-free zones such as governmental buildings, schools, etc. Just businesses such as movie theaters, etc. And since Louisiana just came out and passed the strict scrutiny rule and affirmed our 2nd Amendment Rights, it might actually have a shot. Guess we'll see where it goes.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I've actually been speaking with one of the State Representatives that I know personally and have expressed my concerns that I believe "self-imposed" gun-free zones are unconstitutional in regards to the Louisiana Constitution. I've also searched and can't find any law that allows businesses to "self-impose" gun-free zones. He plans to try and introduce legislation in the 2016 session that will label "self-imposed" gun-free zones as unconstitutional as per the Louisiana Constitution. This won't affect actual gun-free zones such as governmental buildings, schools, etc. Just businesses such as movie theaters, etc. And since Louisiana just came out and passed the strict scrutiny rule and affirmed our 2nd Amendment Rights, it might actually have a shot. Guess we'll see where it goes.

Your friend sounds like he has a poor grasp of the law, which is a shame considering he is a legislator. He should put his efforts into something more valuable.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Your friend sounds like he has a poor grasp of the law, which is a shame considering he is a legislator. He should put his efforts into something more valuable.

+1

There are more important things at the moment. If Hippie Jane's Herbal Tea Shop wants to put a No Firearms sign on the door, she can do so, and she probably won't lose much business because of it. On the other hand, if Right Wing Joe's Gun Shop puts a No Firearms sign on the door, you can bet he's going to lose a ton of money. Business owners can do what they want... I'd rather see Gun Free Zones removed from schools and grant teachers/instructors the ability to carry on school grounds.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I for the life of me can not believe there was not 1 person in Lafayette not carrying.

I was also surprised by this as well... but thinking more about it, there aren't exactly a lot of people at the movies on a Thursday night, and the type of movie this was doesn't exactly attract the 2nd amendment crowd.

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana

Not starting an argument here but if you have some insight on what law or where in the Louisiana Constitution it provides for businesses to self-impose gun-free zones, I'd be interested in reading it since I can't find anything. I fully agree that if a business wants to impose one and you don't agree with it, simply do not patronize that particular business. But when an entire shopping center such as a mall or an outdoor group of shops such as the Louisiana Boardwalk in Northwest Louisiana imposes that, you shouldn't have to stay away just because you don't agree with it if there is no law in place that allows them to do so.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not starting an argument here but if you have some insight on what law or where in the Louisiana Constitution it provides for businesses to self-impose gun-free zones, I'd be interested in reading it since I can't find anything. I fully agree that if a business wants to impose one and you don't agree with it, simply do not patronize that particular business. But when an entire shopping center such as a mall or an outdoor group of shops such as the Louisiana Boardwalk in Northwest Louisiana imposes that, you shouldn't have to stay away just because you don't agree with it if there is no law in place that allows them to do so.

You are completely not understanding the idea that the owner of the property can do as he pleases. All of those shops rent from the mall owner. They must abide by the rules and so do the customers. I'm all for removing gun free zones from public property, but I think you're going to open a can of worms if you try and force private businesses to do something.

That's all privately owned. The owners of the mall can declare their property pants-free if they want to.

+1

And they can ask you to leave, if you're wearing pants in their pants-free zone, too.

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I understand your point and that can of worms has already been opened on a National scale with businesses being forced to perform services that go against their religious beliefs. My main point, is where does it stop. What if every business in every city and town enacted a gun-free zone. It's just my opinion and mine only that if a business is promoting itself as gun free and does not have methods in place to ensure that no guns get in such as movie theaters, then they are effectively placing me potentially in jeopardy by preventing me with a method of defending myself. It's being proven more and more that gun free zones create nothing but soft targets. Can we carry anyway as discussed above? Sure! Especially since the whole point of concealed carry is that no one knows you're carrying but what if you actually had to defend yourself or someone else's life. Would they then use that gun free zone as a way of having you charged with unlawful possession and since it currently goes against the CCW Handbook, you would now lose your CCW Permit and your right to carry. I've seen it stated many, many times that "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six" but why should I have to. Again, just my opinion.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I understand your point and that can of worms has already been opened on a National scale with businesses being forced to perform services that go against their religious beliefs. My main point, is where does it stop. What if every business in every city and town enacted a gun-free zone. It's just my opinion and mine only that if a business is promoting itself as gun free and does not have methods in place to ensure that no guns get in such as movie theaters, then they are effectively placing me potentially in jeopardy by preventing me with a method of defending myself. It's being proven more and more that gun free zones create nothing but soft targets. Can we carry anyway as discussed above? Sure! Especially since the whole point of concealed carry is that no one knows you're carrying but what if you actually had to defend yourself or someone else's life. Would they then use that gun free zone as a way of having you charged with unlawful possession and since it currently goes against the CCW Handbook, you would now lose your CCW Permit and your right to carry. I've seen it stated many, many times that "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six" but why should I have to. Again, just my opinion.

I'm presenting to you, an opinion that is viewed by most of the public:
    It's not a right to go see a movie at a movie theatre, so they can put up any sign they want.
    It's not a right to buy designer shirts from a department store, so they can put up any sign they want.
    It's not a right to enter private property with a firearm if they don't want firearms on their property.

Do you understand where that point of view is coming from? You do? Good; Now what are you going to do, to help the laws change without forcing people to do something they don't want to do?

Plenty of stores have the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" ruling, but it's not illegal to not be wearing shoes or a shirt.

Rigolette

Pronounced "Row Gully"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Now what are you going to do, to help the laws change without forcing people to do something they don't want to do?

I've done what I can do. I've brought it up to a State Legislator who is looking into it along with his staff. There's absolutely nothing that I can do but abide by the current environment. If he and his staff determine that there is something that can be done on the State level, then I'm sure it will be brought up before the Legislature for discussion by people much more qualified than I am.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Yeah Dave has said a lot.

Constitution typically sets the rules for the government and enumerates various rights of citizens concerning the government. Not person to person, or person to private business.

Legislator might be doing something else, and you could be remembering it wrong. No big deal.

Really though I'd love to see all these guns prohibited signs go away.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I'm presenting to you, an opinion that is viewed by most of the public:
    It's not a right to go see a movie at a movie theatre, so they can put up any sign they want.
    It's not a right to buy designer shirts from a department store, so they can put up any sign they want.
    It's not a right to enter private property with a firearm if they don't want firearms on their property.

Do you understand where that point of view is coming from? You do? Good; Now what are you going to do, to help the laws change without forcing people to do something they don't want to do?

Plenty of stores have the "no shirt, no shoes, no service" ruling, but it's not illegal to not be wearing shoes or a shirt.

This.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Me too!

I'd like free ice cream after every meal, but like those stupid signs, I don't think I'll get what I want.

You should frequent New Orleans Hamburger, or perhaps Golden Corral if you're in the mood to be fancy. Although at the Corral I suppose it's part of the buffet that you paid for. ;)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You should frequent New Orleans Hamburger, or perhaps Golden Corral if you're in the mood to be fancy. Although at the Corral I suppose it's part of the buffet that you paid for. ;)

Lol, you will never catch me in a buffet. I don't want any food that some kids booger hooks have been fondling :rofl:
    And I typically stay away from places with "free ice cream." That's a sure sign the food will be generic crap.

Top Bottom