What's the Coroner mean?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I was wondering as this happened Monday. One of my neighbors, who I have never met, had two coroner vans and two BR City cop cars but no ambulance in their driveway at lunch Monday. Around these parts does the coroner mean homicide/suicide/death investigation or can it still be natural cause type death if they are there?

Just curious as moments later several BR boys and one deputy where chasing a man thru my yard with guns drawn. He made it to a drainage canal after jumping several fences so I don't know if they caught him.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    It's still on the books. But I believe you are correct as to it being less than ordinary.

We did an intervention on my late wife in 1995.

Part of the preparation was a visit to the Coroner's Office to fill out the paperwork in case a coroner's hold was appropriate, which it wasn't.

I have the idea that there is some liability doing it so it's invoked less often.

My 2¢

:ohreally:

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    OPC- Order of protective custody. Coroner does them all the time. Papers go to local LE agency for pick up most of the time and they are delivered to the nearest facility.
    If the person goes to an ER willingly, any doctor can do a PEC, physicians emergency commitment.
    Don't know if this is what was going on, just sayin.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    OPC- Order of protective custody. Coroner does them all the time. Papers go to local LE agency for pick up most of the time and they are delivered to the nearest facility.
    If the person goes to an ER willingly, any doctor can do a PEC, physicians emergency commitment.
    Don't know if this is what was going on, just sayin.

Exactly right. They are quite common in New Orleans. The Coroner's office is tasked with OPCs and has several psychiatrists on staff to do just that.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Sorry about your wife, Tom. Had to be heart wrenching.

Turned out she had cirrhosis and died from liver failure 3mo after the intervention.

When I quit drinking, my liver function was back to normal in six weeks. This disparity between sexes is common.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    A CEC is a Coroner's Emergency Certificate but no one actually sees the coroner, it's just the way the law is set up as they are the 'top' medical practitioner in the goverment in that specific area. Cops pick up subject, subject goes to see a doctor, doctor does a PEC (Physician's Emergency Certificate) and then the 72 hour hold starts. At 48 hours the subject is then interviewed by a shrink (coroner's rep) who is going to do the CEC. The CEC can say to discharge or it can be a hold.

http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/policies/policy_manuals_via_ms_word/Nursing/P-40.pdf

PECs (72 hour hold) are done alot. It's not unicorn form.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom