What's the Coroner mean?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Is this the seventy-two hour coroner's hold?

I thought it wasn't used that much any more.
    :eh:

OPC or a physician in louisiana can PEC you for 72 hours. Then after that 72 hours is when the coroners office comes into play. PEC = Physician Emergency Certificate.

**** Just say a previous post that described the same thing.

Last edited:

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    But yes, the coroner's van shows up for natural death's as well. If there were only two BRPD cops and there wasn't any crime scene tape wrapping the house I'd say it was natural. Had it been more serious they'd establish a crime scene and it would've had a nice amount of detectives and crime scene investigators out.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    But yes, the coroner's van shows up for natural death's as well. If there were only two BRPD cops and there wasn't any crime scene tape wrapping the house I'd say it was natural. Had it been more serious they'd establish a crime scene and it would've had a nice amount of detectives and crime scene investigators out.

Hmm I thought the EMT was always the guys to call DOA. Interesting to know.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Hmm I thought the EMT was always the guys to call DOA. Interesting to know.

EMT's/Paramedics can only call a DOA in certain cases of obvious death or if given a verbal order by a physician...Even so, the coroner still has to be notified and still has to pronounce...

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Now I'm confused. When my mom passed away at home, I called Hospice. The nurse came to verify. I called funeral home. An hour later funeral home arrived and took her to begin preparations.

No EMS, no Coroner, no LEO.

Would that be because it was expected?

Last edited:

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Now I'm confused. When my mom passed away at home, I called Hospice. The nurse came to verify. I called funeral home. An hour later funeral home arrived and took her to begin preparations.

Did the Hospice nurse call anyone?

LaVern Matherne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was wondering as this happened Monday. One of my neighbors, who I have never met, had two coroner vans and two BR City cop cars but no ambulance in their driveway at lunch Monday. Around these parts does the coroner mean homicide/suicide/death investigation or can it still be natural cause type death if they are there?

Just curious as moments later several BR boys and one deputy where chasing a man thru my yard with guns drawn. He made it to a drainage canal after jumping several fences so I don't know if they caught him.

It is possible that the two incidents were not related.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I believe Hospice is allowed to handle their patient's deaths differently...I'm no expert on that though as my experience with Hospice is limited

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    In Louisiana, the "Coroner" is the Parish official with greatest authority. In common-law states, it is usually the Sheriff.

Any two licensed physicians could commit someone they had examined, for 72 hours. This is fairly rare, but I did some when I was a Family doctor in Acadia & Vermillion Parishes many years ago.

Coroner's committments are not rare in some parishes.

Under European Law & Napoleonic Code, Coroners had many other duties. "Coroner" literally means the King's representative, or "King's Man".

"Coroner' has become synonymous with "Medical Examiner" in most states, but not Louisiana.

Why don't you ask them ?

EBR had a very colorful Coroner for decades, a Cajun Doctor. He once became famous for flying his Beech Bonanza completely around the World.

End of ramble..............................................

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    In Louisiana, the "Coroner" is the Parish official with greatest authority. In common-law states, it is usually the Sheriff.

Any two licensed physicians could commit someone they had examined, for 72 hours. This is fairly rare, but I did some when I was a Family doctor in Acadia & Vermillion Parishes many years ago.

Under European Law & Napoleonic Code, Coroners had many other duties. "Coroner" literally means the King's representative, or "King's Man".

"Coroner' has become synonymous with "Medical Examiner" in most states, but not Louisiana.

Why don't you ask them ?

EBR had a very colorful Coroner for decades, a Cajun Doctor. He once became famous for flying his Beech Bonanza completely around the World.

And in some parishes the coroner doesn't even have to be a licensed physician

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Why don't you ask them ?

Dr. Hypolite T Landry JR He did my physical years ago for a job.

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge

Correct as far as I know. Generally someone who is found dead unexpectedly and from initially unknown circumstances/causes is fairly likely to have some government involvement in determining if the death was natural.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    There must be some procdedure for HOSPICE and other licensed medical people, b/c when Cousin La'Dre died at the hospital, the coroner did not come to the hospital.

Not all deaths are "coroner's cases".

Death from natural causes of a person who has been under doctor's care, for instance.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom