where to buy a starter bow set up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonyrou

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    hey im looking to buy a starter bow package. i have no idea about bow hunting. so im looking for a ready to hunt set up with arrows and all. Or at the least a economical bow i can learn on. any sugestions?

cow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Everyone will have a different opinion. My advice is to set a number in your head. Go to a store (be it an archery specific place or a big boxlike Bass Pro), talk to someone working there, tell them your budget, & go from there.

Good luck.

ZombieHuntr

Out the box....
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    East Baton Rouge
    www.huntersfriend.com .... I use them solely for all my archery stuff. I've been into archery for several years.

Went to Chag's once and put a package together for around 1400 bucks. Went through HuntersFriend and got the same package, part number for part number, for 750

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    See my thread here: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...-need-advice&p=1072127&viewfull=1#post1072127

Basically just go to a Archery specialty store, (near Baton Rouge that can be Bowies, Cabela's or Bass Pro). You need to be able to fire the bow before you buy it to get a feel for it. When I was looking to buy a bow I was paying attention to whether it stays neutral, rolls forward or rolls backwards when holding in my hand. I felt for vibrations when firing without any noise suppression or stabilizers on the bow. As a beginner you want a bow that has a decent brace height, something over 6.5 inches. The longer the brace height the more forgiving the shot.

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    To add to CrkdLtr's post, DON'T buy into the "I have the fastest bow out there" crap and DON'T insist on 70# draw because it's what macho men do or what your buddies shoot. Your shoulder will thank you and your accuracy will be better because you can shoot longer without having to stop. Anything spitting out a hunting arrow at near 300 fps (My bow 60# @ 28" is getting right around 260-270ish) is PLENTY to get the job done with fixed or mechanical broadheads. 7" Brace is a good number to start with.

Chags is a bit steep on their setups, you would be better off going to Cabelas and picking out a bow from there. They usually have RTH packages from Bear and PSE at Cabelas for 400-600 minus arrows. For arrows, you'll need to figure out the bow first, buy arrows to match the bow. Beman ICS Hunters are what I suggest to everyone. I've shot Victory V1's that cost twice what the Beman's cost and can't tell the difference. Don't skimp on the release, you don't have to spend a ton but buy a decent one from Truball, Scott..

Hope this helps.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There are posts on this website where members are essentially giving away extremely good bows (ready to use), for practically nothing. I have all the bows I will most likely ever need, but if I had to do it all over again, I would buy one here without hesitation.

Search: bows for sale on here; do some homework; and don't waste money if you don't have to.

johnmichael

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Hammond, La
    Good info so far...I would visit Cabelas or Bowie Outfitters just to get a feel for shooting a bow first and soak up any knowledge they may offer. I would then visit CraigsList as there are always STUPID-good deals going on there. If you are uncomfortable with that notion, both Cabelas or Bowie could easily set you up with a nice rig for $400-500.

Top Bottom