Which media to use and why???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Well after taking the advice from you guy's I went and bought some corn cob media to use in my new tumbler. I have plenty of brass to clean so I set up a batch to clean over night. I used a little squirt of metal polish and 12 hours later, bingo, clean brass.

IMAG0426.jpg

This is the cleanest I've seen my brass. I use to borrow my brothers tumbler which he has walnut media in, they never never looked this clean. The majority of my brass never gets real dirty and I wanted them to shine so I used the corn cob. Thanks for the advice!

Bam Bam

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    By the way I've had a chance to use the media sepetator I got from TDH and it works great. No more doing that by hand, easily dumps media out of my brass. Thanks TDH. I've had enough brass to keep the tumbler runnimg for two days straight, now I should be good for awhile.

Bam Bam

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    12 hours!?!?!? Ben I used a little dillon rapid polish and this is what my stuff looks like after only an hour. No need to tumble it that long.

Sent using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326081196.177873.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326081196.177873.jpg
      231.8 KB · Views: 54

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Whoa nelly. I think the longest I ahve done brass for was maybe 4 hours and that was some nasty stuff.

You cannot argue with the results of 12 hours polish though.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I started the tumbler one evening and just let it run all night since I didn't want to get up in the middle of the night. I always tumble for a few hours at least, but the longer I tumbled it the better it looked. Yeah didn't need to do it 12 hours, but hey was testing out the new tumbler too! lol

Bam Bam

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I run the lizard bedding from Petco a well, with a fair splash of Frankford Arsenal Case Polish. I end up with something between the "satin" clean of pure walnut and the high gloss of the corn cob.

And I end up with that level of clean within 45 minutes, provided I change the media out when the edges start to round out. (I typically leave it in a while and just run them for about an hour.) The cost of the media is a drop in the bucket compared to the time saved, as I've been cycling the same lot of brass for quite a while now and the vast majority of it has to be polished weekly. I also found that not loading the tumbler to advertised capacity actually is more economical on time-- more cases, faster.

I don't need beautiful brass in the volume and frequency I'm using it. Clean is good enough for me, and this combination definitely does the job.

I was talking about it yesterday in fact as several of us were slaving over brass-- I also like that my cases have a distinct finish over all of the others, and I can pick them out without looking at my headstamp markings!

ETA-- The brand of brass will also effect the final appearance, in my experience. Federal *always* looks brighter with my set up than WIN, for example.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I started the tumbler one evening and just let it run all night since I didn't want to get up in the middle of the night. I always tumble for a few hours at least, but the longer I tumbled it the better it looked. Yeah didn't need to do it 12 hours, but hey was testing out the new tumbler too!

Bam Bam

I have forgotten about it for 14 hours but the brass was very nice looking! :)

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    How often do you change out your media? Mine has gotten darker nd I wasn't impressed with the last bunch of 9mm that I cleaned. Mine has been in there 7 or 8 months.

nortac

Cynical Old Codger
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Abita Springs, LA , USA
    As previously mentioned, dryer sheets torn in strips prolongs the life of your media and reduces the dust when sifting your brass. I use the unscented Bounce sheets and will never go without it again. Corn cob gets stuck in primer flash holes and is a PITA for me.

Top Bottom