Which to SBR: EVO, MPX, MP5 clone ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I'm trying to decide which one to SBR.

I'm sure there are members who have done some and can speak to the pro's and cons.

The EVO's now come with 1/2 - 28 threads so barrel rethreading isn't an issue.

If it were up to me I'd get all three, but at the moment funds will not allow for that. So it's one at a time.

And I would put a can on whichever one I go with.

Ok, thanks for any feedback/experience/advice.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    All three are good options. I have the MP5K SBR out of the three. I like it a lot. I like the MPX also. My local dealer has a postie and runs like an ape. Parts and mags are available for all three so you should be good there.

Good Luck. July 13 is only 33 days away!

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    If you are going to add a can to it, then rule the MPX out. It is well documented that out of those three you named that the sig MPX tends to gas the shooter badly.

I plan to go with the Scorpion Evo3 once I find one with the 1/2x28 threads at a decent price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    I don't know your budget is what is considered the best MP5 clone is the Zenith MKE. It's built under HK license in Turkey and most parts are supposedly interchangeable with the MP5. The trigger group and other full auto parts will be different

If you buy it in pistol configuration, you can shoot it until your Form 1 stamp comes in. You may like the optional SB Tactical Arm Brace as well
    https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co.../zenith-z-5rs-9mm-pistol-detail.html?Itemid=0

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    MPX is the worst SMG right now, its overly heavy, suppresses poorly because of bolt weight and how short the piston system is in correlation to the chamber, the Gen2's will not cycle 147gr subs which is why I have had to port OVER 80 of them this month. The collapsible stock turns it into a brick with no cheek weld. Its a solid build gun though. Mags aren't overly cheap
    EVO has no real problems except the left side of the receiver clam shell cracks towards the rear, have seen 9 fail so far its not really bad but you have a nice 1-2" crack going vertical in the back of your gun. Since its fiber reinforced it makes a very jagged break but the gun can still be shot. 18mm threads on factory barrel and not concentric for the most part. CZ set me up as a factory technician for rethreading the barrels to 1/2x28 and doing 1/2 and 1/2 cuts or full recuts with 3 lugs. Ive probably knocked out 300 of them this year. Best gun for the money has a great stock, mags really suck and have problems with feed lips cracking.
    MP5 is a great platform if you buy a good host which is going to run you 2-2.5k or more. Personally the only one worth owning is a Dakota Tactical which are in the 3.5k range but are built and recognized as good as original German guns. A lot of the Paki guns and all advertised on the same tooling are just not. Out of spec problems, sights not welded on right, trunnions not installed right. A lot of little things that ultimately lead to being a lot of hassle. If you are good with the system you can buy a cheap clone but its going to take some german internals (Extractor, Extractor Spring, Lock Piece, Bolt, Rollers) to really get one tuned in right and it will still give you problems. You have a limitless amount of parts as your disposal though not cheap. B&T makes the best stock for them by far as well as optics mount and they come with a 3 lug if you shop right. Being you need good mags most German mags are gonna run you $50 each if you look I pick them up a few hundred at a time for $35 or so.

I have see hundreds of scenarios with every one of these guns since they have come out between recutting MPX's in MPX K's with handguards, barrels, and port work. To building MP5's and fixing all the crappy clones on the market. The Evo is like the 10/22 of the gun market now though there are a bunch of companies I helped R&D stuff with like Yeti Works, HK Parts, ETC that are making stuff for them now and its awesome.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

notasheeple

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks for all the replies.

I've handled all 3 and viewed some youtube reviews but had not heard of the problems listed above.

I had no idea about the EVO's cracking. Thanks eMGunslinger, I'll google that.

I had looked at the Zenith and POF clones, I'll have to check out the Dakota's.

eMGunslinger

Weapon Savant
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    eMGunslinger, does cz warranty the cracked receivers?

As far as I know yes and it always seems to be the left side, the problem comes in if the right side cracks as that is technically considered the receiver of the firearm. The cracks I have seen are all in the same spot a few from squibs and a few from double charges. It's somewhat disappointing because an MPX or MP5 for example can take a double or squib and keep on rolling.

soontobetwo

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Gonzales
    eMGunslinger, what kind of issues would I have considering mine is a sbr and this is the serialized part of receiver. Would I have to get another tax stamp? Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom