Who do reloads get it wrong?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    I agree with DBMJR1, handloaders tailer precision ammunition and reloaders are doeing it to shoot more. I only shoot my reloads period. All I can afford to do as much as I shoot. Load for less than half cost of factory rounds. Only load 3 pistol calibers with 45ACP and 38 special leading the pack. Reload 8-10,000 rounds of each a year. If you shoot 5-600 rounds a month of each you have to reload to afford to shoot this much. If you really want to stay proficient you need to shoot this much. I started in 1980 and like everyone else I have experienced a few problems. Nothing major just a few eye openers. 2 Squibs in all those years. I have a system and stick to it. Don't alter or change and I get consistent ammo especially target 45acp and 38 special ammo. I'm not one to experiment with a lot of diff loads. Find loads with primers and powders and bullets I buy in bulk and try and not deviate. Loaders that are experiencing lots of the diff failures are not cutting cost corners they are cutting procedure corners.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Not all of us get it wrong.
    I started reloading in 1967, I learned, followed the books (pre-internet) and strived for quality, safe and accurate reloads. I check things two or three times to make sure it's right. Never had any problems. Single stage press, charge each case in a loading block, check powder levels in all cases before seating a bullet. Slow and Safe, one at a time. Seems like most problems arise with progressive machines and people trying to crank out 100's of rounds an hour (commerical reloading for profit). I never sell any of my reloads.
    Don't lump all reloaders in the same boat.
    Gary

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Oh, If you're reloading for pistol, you won't save any money. You WILL shoot a whole lot more though.;)
    No i am not picking your post to pick on you or anyone else. As sated here and in other post some load to make metter ammo as well as save $
    I agree. But for easy cheap ammo only like 9mm
    Plus the added benefit
    If i did not reload 44Mag 45Colt or 357 i would not be able to pay the cost of factory ammo
    So your statement is 100% right for some ammo
    I can cast a 255 grain 452 flat point 100 of them with 2 pounds of lead and some very good lube {Red Carnuba}
    Add good primers I got when prices were on sale and stocked up. Even saw some CCI Sunday at 27 bucks
    Add in some Red Dot _6.5 grains} or Unique, ect and the brass last and last and is pleasant to shoot
    And is 100% as good as any $45.00 a box ammo i ever bought
    http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
    I think most reloads get a bad rap as there are many new comers that just have no clue and also companies that are just banging out SubPar ammo

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I load to get the right round for a particular gun. Also, I load for .45 Colt. Ever price that round? :eek3:

When I posted my post I meant to quote you lol as well
    Casting also got me way down I cost as well.
    I do spend to much on molds at times as have some custom ones. But most are Ebay and Castboolts used and new ones I picked up cheap

Plus I just picked up a "Ruger Old Army" awhile back so need low power 45 Colt loads to shoot in the add on conversion cylinder
    And have been making up full sine nice 185 grain wad cutter 45acp Loads, for the 45 Revolver cylinder in the 45Colt Ruger Bisley for cheap shooting

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I got to looking at some of my weapon manuals... Nearly every one of them states that firing reloads voids your warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Pretty sure that some new ''factory'' loads have blown a few guns up.

I got to looking at some of my weapon manuals... Nearly every one of them states that firing reloads voids your warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

When you roll your own your smile is much bigger.

never shoot reloads. Stupidity is far too common. I''ll pay extra with a smile on my face

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Pretty sure that some new ''factory'' loads have blown a few ...

You go ahead and roll your own... I'll stick to the professionals and keep my warranty. After reading some of the responses and researching some of the "reloaders"... I'd rather just stock up. I'll learn how to reload in the event it's a necessity... But I don't want the wider smile to be because of extensive reconstructive facial surgeries.

FD807

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Geismar La.
    You go ahead and roll your own... I'll stick to the professionals and keep my warranty. After reading some of the responses and researching some of the "reloaders"... I'd rather just stock up. I'll learn how to reload in the event it's a necessity... But I don't want the wider smile to be because of extensive reconstructive facial surgeries.

"Professionals" you mean the guy they pay whatever to walk in the door dump primers, powder and bullets in a machine and push the button? I know whats in every round that gets fired out of my guns. I have recently seen 2 occurrences with factory ammo that could have been really bad. One was at my local range during deer season and the guy was shooting 35 Whelen Hornady Super performance ammo and had a total case head seperation where the top half of the brass was lodged in his barrel and had to go to a smith to be removed. The other occurance was at the same range where the guy was shooting Winchester .40 and had a squib due to a bad load. Also just spoke to the APSO deputy across the street from me and their 5.56 ammo has backwards or sideways primers about 3 or 4 per hundred out of the last batch they got so tell me how factory ammo is better quality wise?

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    "Professionals" you mean the guy they pay whatever to walk in the door dump primers, powder and bullets in a machine and push the button? I know whats in every round that gets fired out of my guns. I have recently seen 2 occurrences with factory ammo that could have been really bad. One was at my local range during deer season and the guy was shooting 35 Whelen Hornady Super performance ammo and had a total case head seperation where the top half of the brass was lodged in his barrel and had to go to a smith to be removed. The other occurance was at the same range where the guy was shooting Winchester .40 and had a squib due to a bad load. Also just spoke to the APSO deputy across the street from me and their 5.56 ammo has backwards or sideways primers about 3 or 4 per hundred out of the last batch they got so tell me how factory ammo is better quality wise?

Factory ammo is better Regulation wise... Factory ammo is better safety wise... Most of all factory ammo is better liability wise.

Look... To each his/her own. If you want to shoot reloads, that's your prerogative. My opinion is my opinion. If that ruffles feathers, oh well. Firearm manufacturers put those warnings and warranty guidelines in there for a reason.

Do I think there are some that make good reloads, of course... Do I trust factory loads more? Definitely. Years and years of experience and technology compared to some guy sitting in his garage makin' bullets.

Again, my opinion and preference.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Reloading isn't for everyone. Reloading requires one to pay attention to details. Double checking everything is mandatory.

I shoot very few other people's reloads in my own firearms. Only one or two I would trust.

However, I have a couple of firearms that I would never fire factory ammo through. I am able to load ammunition closer to the lower pressure levels that those antiques require.

Bottom line.

If you're not comfortable with your abilities, or just don't have the time or inclination, then you're better off not reloading.

I would definitely never buy anyone else reloads.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Factory ammo is better Regulation wise... Factory ammo is better safety wise... Most of all factory ammo is better liability wise.

Look... To each his/her own. If you want to shoot reloads, that's your prerogative. My opinion is my opinion. If that ruffles feathers, oh well. Firearm manufacturers put those warnings and warranty guidelines in there for a reason.

Do I think there are some that make good reloads, of course... Do I trust factory loads more? Definitely. Years and years of experience and technology compared to some guy sitting in his garage makin' bullets.

Again, my opinion and preference.

I don't know where you think the big gap is technology wise. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm using a commercial press, the same one that a lot of smaller operations use, and I'm certainly not putting my expensive equipment in my garage. The only real difference is that I operate it manually and they attach a sprocket and have a machine turn the sprocket. Personally I'd say that is better for me in that I'm mechanically checking the powder level and visually checking while I'm standing at the machine. They are using the same mechanical check, but no visual.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have purchased reloads from Alabama Ammo at gun shows. I really could not tell any difference between them and factory loads. I have fired at least 2000 of their rounds in .380, 9mm, and .38 with no issues at all.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I got started reloading pretty early, 14 or 15 yrs old. My dad was a reloader so it's always gone hand in hand with shooting. Over the years, people I've known that are detail oriented, have a little mechanical aptitude, and can follow basic safety rules, reload their whole lives without problems. Those who are impatient and half-ass everything have problems.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I trust my loads more than I trust a company's loads. I control all my variables and the standard deviation between my bullets are way less than shooting mass production bullets. On the flipside, I wouldn't shoot someone elses handloads.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I got a handloaded round wrong the other day, the small 380 cartridge. I was trying to develop a loading using a 125 grain Cast HP in this small cartridge!
    IMG_0580_zpsf9jnkc1s.jpg

Well I thought I had a loading that would be safe enough, however that wasn't to be! A little too much powder, magnum small pistol primer and this long bullet proved to be a we bit too much. First cartridge fired and it was strong as shot in the tiny LCP pistol, but it is a small pistol so I wasn't sensitive to the recoil.

I searched for the the spent cartridge but didn't come across it until later. So I decided to just shoot another! Well that one suffered a casing blowout, which the expanding gas from the overpressure jetted down into the magwell blowing the magazine guts out the bottom. It was immediately evident what had happened.
    It actually cracked the polymer frame...the frame is replaceable. As I was picking up my items from the range, I did find the first spent casing, I was shooting at the 7 yard line, the casing was laying on the 15 yard line! :eek3: It was bulged at the feed ramp area. Had I found it earlier, I would have never pulled the trigger again on that loading.
    As I was shooting the rounds over the chronograph the were 1038 fps and 1037 fps and I had exceeded what I was expecting.

Bottom line, these very small cartridges have no room for error!

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    DO NOT RELOAD!!...supplies are hard enough to find for those of us who love it...:)
    Many benefits - for example varying brass, powder, bullets, and jump to the lands took my 1903a4 from 4" groups with factory ammo to 1" - and there is no warranty. Just use factory in Your self defense guns for liability purposes. Saves a ton plus better accuracy when shooting 66 round matches every month plus practice. (Again no warranty.)
    Each to his own.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    Here is a look at just how much of this long bullet was being stuffed in the little 380, I will get a working load with this bullet. I do have suspicions about the cartridge case that did blowout (MFS) being very thin by design, they had a circular indentation which was below the flash hole. Whereas the Winchester and others are flat at the flash hole and a little thicker. These are my next test loads to try.

IMG_0587_zpsqlzu91ke.jpg

Oh BTW, its my first such incident in 36 years of handloading many various cartridges. I even load for some that don't have data for them period! Like the 9x25 Dillon with some of the newer powders.

Top Bottom