Who really shut the government down. Best explanation so far

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    You said "I think people are advocating for what the Founders actually advocated."

My point was that it seems backwards to me to say that we are pushing towards what we think they wanted by going against what we KNOW they wanted. If we need to violate the constitution to fix this, then the constitution and the founder's failed in creating a lasting government.

they definitely failed in creating a lasting government

EDIT: probably depends on the meaning of "lasting" :D

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    they definitely failed in creating a lasting government

EDIT: probably depends on the meaning of "lasting" :D

If they failed in creating a lasting government, why are we even talking about returning to what they wanted?

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Exactly! Both parties are working together to line their pockets, consolidate power, and keep the population divided by portraying the image that they are ideological opposites. They are all working towards the same goal. The sooner people realize this, the better off they will be.

Emperor hit the nail on the head earlier. Thee is something seriously wrong when someone is willing to spend tens of millions of dollars to get a job that pays a couple 100K.

Exactly right!

These senators and representatives all live in the same neighborhoods and all go to the same cocktail and dinner parties where they get drunk as skunks together.
    Then the next day they are back on television blasting each other.

And you can look on the state level and see the exact same thing here in Louisiana.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    If they failed in creating a lasting government, why are we even talking about returning to what they wanted?

I was speaking specifically about wanting a "limited gov't"...there's differing ways to obtain that...a Constitution written by the founders might only be one way, and based on it's historical performance it's a way that's clearly failed to prevent or restrain big govt.

I don't want to continue to keep this line of commenting going b/c I don't want to banned for being "argumentative". If you wish to continue just PM me.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You aren't being arguementative, you're carrying on an adult discussion. If you posted like this 6 months ago you wouldn't have been banned at all.

If the constitution is no bueno, what is your solution?

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    You aren't being arguementative, you're carrying on an adult discussion. If you posted like this 6 months ago you wouldn't have been banned at all.

If the constitution is no bueno, what is your solution?

I was afraid you'd ask me for a solution, lol. Perhaps i'll save that for another thread b/c it would surely derail this one :mamoru:

Maybe I'll make a thread later to discuss solutions for our Constitutional Republic.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was afraid you'd ask me for a solution, lol. Perhaps i'll save that for another thread b/c it would surely derail this one :mamoru:

Maybe I'll make a thread later to discuss solutions for our Constitutional Republic.

And that is the larger point, America isn't perfect, our government isn't, the constitution isn't, but where do we find anything better?

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    And that is the larger point, America isn't perfect, our government isn't, the constitution isn't, but where do we find anything better?

According to my limited research, I could find more freedom in a handful of other countries...Chile and Mauritius being two of my top choices. But, no place on earth is "perfect"...not that perfection is attainable since it's subjective.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

You don't have to go elsewhere! But you do have to "fight" to keep ANY representative government, representative! And just because someone exists inside your borders, doesn't mean they are to be represented.

The level of pandering we have allowed this government to devolve to is insane! Just the fact that Congress continues to exempt themselves from legislation that is now adversely affecting the citizens they are there to represent; and there aren't 90% of the American population (including the zombies), demanding their resignations or term limits is all you have to know.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Our form of government is the worst there is

except for everyone else's.

Correctamundo

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to go elsewhere! But you do have to "fight" to keep ANY representative government, representative! And just because someone exists inside your borders, doesn't mean they are to be represented.

The level of pandering we have allowed this government to devolve to is insane! Just the fact that Congress continues to exempt themselves from legislation that is now adversely affecting the citizens they are there to represent; and there aren't 90% of the American population (including the zombies), demanding their resignations or term limits is all you have to know.

I agree, but the fight shouldn't include violating the constitution to get us closer to the constitution.

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Correctamundo

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, but the fight shouldn't include violating the constitution to get us closer to the constitution.

I would tend to agree with you; however, the more important parts have been violated to a point where we now find ourselves in a situation where a strong message needs to be sent. Sometimes a bone has to be rebroken so that it can be set correctly.

I'm not an anarchist but I am certain this country will not survive much longer on its current path.

10November1775

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Which parts of the Constitution are more important than other parts?

I would argue that a section of an amendment that was added almost a century after the original document was drafted would be less important. Especially a section in an amendment that was passed by half the country and whose intent is rather questionable.

Edit: the section addressing debt being questionable

Last edited:

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I would argue that a section of an amendment that was added almost a century after the original document was drafted would be less important. Especially a section in an amendment that was passed by half the country and whose intent is rather questionable.

Edit: the section addressing debt being questionable

Would that include say, the 13th, 15th, or maybe 19th?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom