Who's familiar with Destrehan? (looking for a house)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    My fiance and I are currently looking to buy a house in the Metairie/River Ridge/ Harahan area but we're thinking about extending our search to Destrehan. If anyone can provide info on what areas to look in and what areas to avoid, it would be greatly appreciated. Looking in the ~190K range.

Thanks.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I've considered that also, as it's not much farther away. Just trying to keep it as close to Metairie as possible because that's where my fiancée works.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    I don't live there, but I go every now and then. Destrehan has some pretty areas. Ormond Estates looked nice.

Hahnville/Luling seems nice because there's a lot of houses right on the MS River and it looks like they have a lot of land.

Good luck in your search!

Conceyted

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Metairie, LA
    I don't think you'll find anything decent in River Ridge at that price point. Harahan might also be a stretch. Metairie is closer. In terms of housing in Destrehan. My wife and I looked around quite a bit when purchasing our house, but ended up decided that it was a bit further than we had wanted to drive every day to and from work. There are some nice houses to be had in Destrehan, but also lots of undesirable areas to avoid. There is a fairly nice subdivision between River Ridge and Destrehan off of River Road on the border of Kenner and St. Charles Parish/St. Rose. It is gated and most of the houses in there are all similar and made by the same developers. The houses in there start somewhere near your price point and seem fairly nice. The neighbors within that subdivision seem hit or miss, but outside of that subdivision, the area isn't very good. Might be worth a look?

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    If you're working with a realtor, and want to know what they think of the neighborhood... They can't tell you. But if you ask, "would you allow your kids to play around here?" they can tell you :)

My mother and grandmother have been realtors in St. Charles Parish for YEARS if you want help PM me and I'll direct you their way. I live farther out than Luling and drive into NOLA daily. So the difference in Destrehan/Luling isn't much IMO. Check into the Mimosa/Willowdale area. This would be ideal for your price point. Additionally its in one of the best school districts in the state!

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Well we got lucky and we've got a realtor in the family, and he's provides some pretty honest opinions about some of the neighborhoods we're looking at, so no problem there.

Drive isn't a problem for me, because I live in Harahan and drive to Houma every day, I just don't want my fiancee to have to drive that far, as she has to be at work in metairie at round 6:45am everyday and doesn't leave until around 8pm.

Thanks for all the input!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom