Why are suppressors so expensive?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lattin1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Just curious what y'alls thoughts are on how much suppressors cost. $900 seems a bit steep for a couple metal cones stacked in a tube with a spring. It just seems like a rip off considering you can buy a nice lathe for $2000 and make as many suppressors as you want.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Well usually the more expensive cans are made of higher end, lighter yet still strong metals. Also there is a lot of "technology" that's going into cans that are making them smaller, quieter, and more adaptable to different platforms. Also with low volume sales, it would require higher costs to offset the cost of machines/tooling required.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I don't know but I want MORE!!! Have 2 and just started the wait for my 3rd. One more after that and then I should be ok. ....That's what I keep telling my wife anyway. I also think all ranges should have a quiet area so I don't have to listen to all those loud guns;)

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well usually the more expensive cans are made of higher end, lighter yet still strong metals. Also there is a lot of "technology" that's going into cans that are making them smaller, quieter, and more adaptable to different platforms. Also with low volume sales, it would require higher costs to offset the cost of machines/tooling required.

This. Good suppressors are more complicated and expensive to machine than they appear. And thanks to the NFA the demand for them is nowhere near what it should/would be otherwise, and more hoops and manhours required for the companies selling them.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't know but I want MORE!!! Have 2 and just started the wait for my 3rd. One more after that and then I should be ok. ....That's what I keep telling my wife anyway. I also think all ranges should have a quiet area so I don't have to listen to all those loud guns;)

I would love the "suppressors only lounge" I have a few cans and shoot at a private range without plugs. It's so comfortable, especially in this summer heat.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Just curious what y'alls thoughts are on how much suppressors cost. $900 seems a bit steep for a couple metal cones stacked in a tube with a spring. It just seems like a rip off considering you can buy a nice lathe for $2000 and make as many suppressors as you want.

I don't think you have any idea of the tolerances that suppressors are built to.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Tolerances are key.... I had a baffle strike which silencerco made right for me. They designed a new piston just for the fnp tactical and replaced the front half of my osprey.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    A functional suppressor wouldn't be that hard to build. It won't be nearly as good as what you get for $1000 though.

For a .22 you could use a maglight flashlight for the body with an extra base for the opposite end cap. Fender washers and brass wool would work for buffers. I've toyed with the idea of building on on a form 1 for a while. It'll work but I don't know what the durability would be which is one of the reasons I haven't done this yet. It would stink to spend the money and time for a 200 shot suppressor.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    A functional suppressor wouldn't be that hard to build. It won't be nearly as good as what you get for $1000 though.

For a .22 you could use a maglight flashlight for the body with an extra base for the opposite end cap. Fender washers and brass wool would work for buffers. I've toyed with the idea of building on on a form 1 for a while. It'll work but I don't know what the durability would be which is one of the reasons I haven't done this yet. It would stink to spend the money and time for a 200 shot suppressor.

They work great and last forever, even under the most adverse conditions.

155jhpd.jpeg

OK, seriously. I'd like to do a Form 1 and try my hand at it also but like you, afraid that I would only get a few hundred shots out of it and that would be it.

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Like everyone said above there is alot of R&D that goes into designing US made silencers. If you look at silencers in Europe they are much cheaper but also not nearly as effective as US made ones. This is because in Europe they aren't nearly as regulated so they are almost disposable. If they wear out you just throw it away and buy another one. In the US you are basically married to it for life so consumers demand the best in suppression and also want it to last a life time. The best usually equals expensive.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    For $2k I could have at least three best-in-class suppressors that would take care of all my shooting needs rimfire, pistol and rifle.

If I bought a lathe I might be lucky after a lot of blood, sweat and tears to have a few serviceable cans that may or may not suppress all that well and aren't particularly pretty.

Top Bottom