"Why did you pull out in front of an airplane ?"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007

1103_plane_car10.jpg

"William Davis said he is grateful everyone survived, but after the incident, he has decided to give up flying, saying it was all too traumatic — even though he was just four weeks away from receiving his pilot's license."

No one likes a quitter.:dogkeke:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    There's a displaced threshold on that runway, too.
    The plane looked like he was coming in awefully low to touch down by the numbers.
    He looked like he barely cleared the fence (relatively speaking).
    Now, I'm not blaming the pilot, but that looked to be an contributing factor.
    The SUV driver should have done some serious looking around for traffic.
    Look twice, save a life...

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    That was the pilot's first solo landing and his wife was filming it.

I've seen several small airfields like that in Texas and I always knew to stop.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The plane looked like he was coming in awefully low to touch down by the numbers.

Yeah that was the first thing that came to my mind also.... It looked like he was a lil too low.... much more and he would of hit the fence if nothing else.... I partially blame the airport for not having an actual stop sign and or a sign letting people know to watch for landing planes.... It cant be that difficult to make a better warning then some spray paint on the ground...

Also on a side note, I can see how they possibly didnt see the plane, if you look closely you can see theres alot of trees/bushes along the fence line blocking view of anything coming down to land...

I wonder how you explain to the insurance company that you wrecked into a flying plane:mamoru:

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs

Says the guy with the screen name "I_FLY_LOW" :mamoru:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Well, the SUV clearly had the right of way. And that stupid pilot should have hit his brakes til the poor person in the SUV was clear.. Or blow his horn or something. Oh the humanity

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, the SUV clearly had the right of way. And that stupid pilot should have hit his brakes til the poor person in the SUV was clear.. Or blow his horn or something. Oh the humanity

Im not saying thats so, but at the same time the suv really wouldnt of seen the plane at the time they made the turn on the street before.... and half-a**sprayed stop doesnt really work all that well...

In all honesty I think all of them kind of had a little bit of blame.... The car for not paying enough attention. The pilot for flying a lil too low, "though thats iffy due to the camera angle". Also road wasnt properly marked from what I saw...

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    I have held pilots license for well over a decade now and I can tell you that this was 100% the pilots fault. Unless the car was on a taxiway (which it seems like it was not) it was pilot error. Any "stop sign" would have been for road traffic and NOT air traffic.

The plain should not have been that low. He was only a few feet above what looked to be a 4 or 5 foot fence. That put him (pilot) at an altitude of about 6 or 7 feet while he was still 50 feet from the runway. He would have missed it and landed short anyway even if the car had not been there. The nose was down not up... no flaring for landing... clearly he was not an experienced pilot or either not paying attention.

Now if the road WAS part of the taxiway then the driver of the van would have "some" fault but honestly the plane was 30 to 40 feet to low anyway. Before anyone jumps to judgement and becomes an armchair FAA investigator they need to get a copy of the FAA report and get all the facts and findings and not rely on text posted on YouTube as a "source" of information.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There is a waiting list for that position. :) What I meant was that just because people read something on the internet they take is a 100% truth.

Who do I need to make "a donation" to help move myself up in that line? LOL. I know tho just giving you a hard time. What striked me about it is that theres a heavy bushline that ends like 5-10ft from where the plane has to pass threw to land.... seems like a really bad spot to have a blind spot.

MilOperator

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Metairie, LA.
    Who do I need to make "a donation" to help move myself up in that line? LOL. I know tho just giving you a hard time. What striked me about it is that theres a heavy bushline that ends like 5-10ft from where the plane has to pass threw to land.... seems like a really bad spot to have a blind spot.

Yea, really poor planing. I was flying in near zero visibility once and the tower gave me a heading and altitude that put my inline with a cell tower that was very near the runway. The controller on duty was young and new and I refused the flight path and broke the plan. I got bitched at when I landed until another controller (older and senior to the newbee) explained to the other guy that he was using an outdated chart. I would not be here typing now if I would have allowed someone else to think for me. Alot of our small airports need funding for maintenance and such but it's just not there at the moment.

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea, really poor planing. I was flying in near zero visibility once and the tower gave me a heading and altitude that put my inline with a cell tower that was very near the runway. The controller on duty was young and new and I refused the flight path and broke the plan. I got bitched at when I landed until another controller (older and senior to the newbee) explained to the other guy that he was using an outdated chart. I would not be here typing now if I would have allowed someone else to think for me. Alot of our small airports need funding for maintenance and such but it's just not there at the moment.

Yeah and this situation seems messy, because from what they say in the video, the road is privately owned by someone else....

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Speaking specifically about whether or not there was sufficient warning to road vehicles about possible oncoming air traffic...

MAYBE THE GIANT ENGINE ROARING THROUGH THE AIR DRIVING A PROPELLER would be the first hint. I mean those planes don't exactly SNEAK UP on you. How do you miss that stuff? When planes are flying overhead to the Lafayette airport, those turboprop planes are LOUD.

People need to be more attentive. Reminds me of people who don't realize there is a FIRE TRUCK behind them when they're sitting in traffic until after a good 10-15 seconds of horn blasting and sirens. Voluntary auditory exclusion and lack of head swivel...

wfarrell1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Speaking specifically about whether or not there was sufficient warning to road vehicles about possible oncoming air traffic...

MAYBE THE GIANT ENGINE ROARING THROUGH THE AIR DRIVING A PROPELLER would be the first hint. I mean those planes don't exactly SNEAK UP on you. How do you miss that stuff? When planes are flying overhead to the Lafayette airport, those turboprop planes are LOUD.

People need to be more attentive. Reminds me of people who don't realize there is a FIRE TRUCK behind them when they're sitting in traffic until after a good 10-15 seconds of horn blasting and sirens. Voluntary auditory exclusion and lack of head swivel...

Oh I completely agree, But I would think the pilot would be idling the engine coming in there, because if you listen it sounds like he all sudden HE guns the engine, maybe to try and take off and avoid the car. I do not know for sure though, Like I said earlier they havent given me my armchair FAA investigator certificate yet! :dogkeke:

Top Bottom