Why do gangsters shoot their guns sideways?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

Lurking
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    So why do gangsters aim their guns sideways? Marine marksman sheds light on how gunmen from the 'hood unwittingly use a well-known aiming technique

It's an iconic image immortalised in dozens of Hollywood gangster films: the gangster aiming down the side of his pistol before pumping a volley of bullets into his victim.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...d-unwittingly-use-known-aiming-technique.html

I'm not sure how true this is but one of my upper level sociology professors at LSU said that it originated from criminals using inferior weapons and they were trying to prevent a failure to eject from occurring.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    The fad was started by movie directors (i.e. hollywood idiots). They realized that if the gun was turned sideways there was more chance of catching the ejected shell casing in the screen. It also stayed in the screen longer because of the wide screen format. It just looked cool and more "artsy". In hollywood, that's all that matters so it stuck as the proper way of handling a pistol. It sure ain't right, but when did that matter over "looks cool" in hollywood?

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    I won't argue with point shooting, whatever grip or stance a person takes. I hold a handgun in a different position shooting off hand. And no matter if "hommie" of homo or whomever holds his gat upside down and pulls the trigger with his pinky, regular practice and repetition until the gun becomes an extension of the hand, and the brain can coordinate the hand/eye thing until it knows where each shot will land while looking at the target, and not the target and the gun together, ultimately will make a person more apt during a combat situation.
    And it helps you see more of what your target is doing too.
    My dos pesos

On a side note:
    Working in a trauma unit/surgical intensive care for 26+ years, I've seen my share of shooting victims. Very many of the hommie crowd are hit multiple times in nonlethal or less than lethal areas of the body. This tells me that either the victims sure can move or the shooters are generally poor shots. Prolly both. But one thing holds true, while the hommie crowd gets a lot of practice carrying, handling and showing their weapons, they don't get much range time in.
    Food for thought

Last edited:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    Don't know why they shoot like this but I have heard the reason that they drive like that is because they don't know that the a/c vents are adjustable...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Would you classify shooting from retention as point shooting?

Shooting from retention is what it is because there is no way to get eyes on sights from that position. If there was i would make some shots from retention. When you show me one World Champion Shooter or Elite Modern Military Unit that advocates point shooting Ill revisit the opinion, until then learn how to shoot. Every shot that can be aimed must be aimed.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Shooting from retention is what it is because there is no way to get eyes on sights from that position. If there was i would make some shots from retention. When you show me one World Champion Shooter or Elite Modern Military Unit that advocates point shooting Ill revisit the opinion, until then learn how to shoot. Every shot that can be aimed must be aimed.
    But when you can't - point shooting works, does it not? I'm not saying point shooting works at 25m - I know better. However, just saying "point shooting is never right" seems short sighted and misleading. Sometimes it's necessary and more effective that not shooting.

You never really answered my question directly.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    But when you can't - point shooting works, does it not? I'm not saying point shooting works at 25m - I know better. However, just saying "point shooting is never right" seems short sighted and misleading. Sometimes it's necessary and more effective that not shooting.

You never really answered my question directly.

When you can get eyes on the front sight it is better to use aimed fire 100% of the time. If, as in the retention example, you cannot see the sights you do what you have to do. Point Shooting is not A: faster or B: more accurate. No I do not consider shooting from retention to be point shooting. I consider it shooting from retention. If in that position I could get eyes on sights I would.

JeeperGirl

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    ***********.com
    Don't think I'll be taking handgun advise on handgun tactics from a British newspaper.

It's a marine that broke the story down.
    The sideways shooting is actually used on the battle field.
    It's also used for something else, Gomez explained something to me about shooting sideways after making jokes about it. I just cant remember why you do it. I want to say it was something with the barrel.
    Anyone know?

You know, I never thought about Hollywood and the cases giving the effect. On Justified, he shoots his gun properly and it still looks badass!
    Maybe it's just Timothy Olyphant shooting a Glock? Hotness! ; )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom